Home Cigar 101
Options

Canoe burn

HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
critiques of the brand that rhymes with Gurkha aside, what causes a stick to burn down the center? I thought that was called canoe-ing but couldn't find other threads. It was a bummer on the particular Gangis Kahn cuz  the flavor and body is decent on 2/2 of 2 despite **** burn on both 

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Humidity, construction, lighting, how fast you smoke all play a part in the burn.
    Try pacing yourself. If you are smoking fast, slow it down a bit and see if that helps.
    If it doesn't, then check your humidity. If that is holding steady, then possibly a construction issue.
    But it could also be a combination of things.

But that's just my opinion. I could be totally wrong.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick, I would call that tunneling, where the cherry burns down the center and doesn't burn the wrapper, as opposed to canoeing where the cigar burns down one side.

Tunneling (for me) is usually caused when I'm smoking too slow and not watching that the wrapper is burning on each drag.  It seems that each cigar wants to be smoked at its own pace, and that's part of the fun, being in tune with that stick to give it what it wants.  Of course, that's all predicated on the cigar being constructed well and having a good draw - when the draw is too tight, they're a **** to smoke correctly.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    ......- when the draw is too tight, they're a **** to smoke correctly.
    When the draw is too tight, that's the time to break out the draw poker (no, not cards) and poke a better airway through the blockage...  I'm never far from my poker...  B)
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    I'm never far from my poker...  B)
    That's what she said.  B)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Gasp> Oh, my goodness. Dearie me. I'm shocked.....  :p