Home Non Cigar Related

Tool trucks.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Non Cigar Related
Rant begin.

Some of you may not know what these are, but anyone in the automotive, truck and heavy equipment industry knows these leaches.
They prey on young mechanics who are just starting out and convince them to make purchases they can't afford and then when they can't "pay up", they take most their tools.

There are 4 major predator tool truck brands and they are all the same. 
Their sales people prey on the fact that these younger techs need tools and they get into those trucks and see all the "shiny things" and really do need them.
But they can make payments, they tell them. Only $100 week and you can handle that.

My son is now in a shop and has my old roll away and top box and they see this new young guy and this 35 year old tool boxes and want to sell him something "more functional".

Rant done.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always told our guys that the box doesn't make them money.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but a lot of guys see the shiny cool looking box and gotta have it.

But my tool box is a 33,000 truck. LOL!
    I have a new roll away and top box at home, but only bought,it, because the deal was just too good to pass up.
    So my son ended up with the set I've had forever.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    your son has good guidance
    A little dirt never hurt
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some 35yr old boxes are better then the new ones. Last time I got in my box it opened like a piece of junk. Ball bearing boxes aren't made to sit and collect dust.

Only have snap-on in my neck of the woods. My box was a 6 month repo, I was lucky he needed to unload it fast and I had cash. He was always on me saying I had all sorts of credit. I always told him just cause I have it doesn't mean I need to use it, especially recklessly. I built my tools up slowly and cracked my knuckles using cheap tools until I had the money to buy better quality. I often bought used tools or waited for them to be on sale.. 

@kswildcat
    Check into Williams tools on Amazon. They are made by Snap on.
    Stamped in the same dies as the older snap on screwdrivers
    Set of 8 for $75 versus $149 for snap on. 
    http://www.amazon.com/Williams-100P-8MD-8-Piece-Premium-Screwdriver/dp/B002NH5F30?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Armstrong is another great brand that isn't too expensive.
    They are made in the same factory as Matco, Craftsman and SK by Danaher Group.
    Most of my larger (1 1/2" to 3") sockets and wrenches are Armstrong.

I don't use any air tools made by anyone other than Ingersoll Rand. 
    When you work on reallt big equipment, you learn what holds up and what doesn't. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Yeah all my air tools are IR, well other then a few body tools (I need to oil/run them more often then I do).

I'm glad most my tool shopping is done.. I like the craftsman pro series but they dang near as expensive as snap-on and the nearest sears is 40 miles away and if they don't have em to replace (usually dont) they have to order them.. They will not break a set to replace.. A sears with better stock is 110 miles away (once again won't break a set).

I do have a bunch of the regular craftsman but the rib on the wrenches is nowhere near as comfortable.. I totally hate snap-on screw drivers, I found El cheapo screw drivers fit screws better..

For what I plan on doing the rest of my life I don't see needing to buy more tools.. Not until they come out with another funky fastner.
    It's hard to convince younger guys that Craftsman, Armstrong, Williams and SK work just as well as Snappy.

All they see is that brand name and think they just have to have it.
    That is an expensive train of thought.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of snap-on and mac tools. I just don't see having to have all of them one brand or spend that kind of money, when other tools are half the cost and work just as well.

I actually had one tech tell me you aren't a great yech, if you don't have snap-on or mac tools only.
    But then again, he was the generation that can't fix anything without a scan tool. 
    Noise in the differential? Better plug in and see what the computer says, cause most of them have no idea how to diagnose by symptom or sounds.

But that's another rant. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I'm to slow and maticulas to work in a dealership. Granted I didn't have many comebacks. The small mom and pop shop and coop shop was more my speed..

One shop I worked at his brother ran a used car dealership out of same building.  Eventually they quit asking me to burn check engine and air bag lights. They had a Advantage and barely knew how to turn it on. They wasted so much customers money by throwing parts it wasn't funny. One day a local lady asked me to check over a lil pickup she was wanting to buy, I threw it on the lift during my lunch break and was looking it over. In walks my boss and asks me what I'm doing to it, when I told him just looking it over he flies off the handle and says we can't be doing that kinda stuff. I'm like if a person trusts me to look it over before they purchase most likely they will bring it to me for maint. and repair.. Took me a long time to build up clientele and didn't take them long to leave when I left.. I'm by no means a super tech, often  took me a few to figure out some issues but it was fixed when it rolled out.
    My tools are mismatch. Maybe that's why I am so slow.. Never noticed I'm better when using snap-on instead of craftsman, Napa, S&K or Blackhawk 
  • Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    So a adult mechanic buys something he could not afford its not his fault but the person that sold it.
    Times have changed
    So a adult mechanic buys something he could not afford its not his fault but the person that sold it.
    Times have changed
    That depends on your definition of adults.
    How many 20 year old kids make good decisions?
    I know I sure as hell didn't.

Good decisions come with experience.

Most these guys are starting out with limited tools and these tool guys come in every week to their shops with one sole purpose, to sell them tools.
    Knowing they need these tools to do their job and can sell them everything in one shot.

I've heard the sales pitches, listened to their convincing pitches to young guys for 35 years. 

Yes, the young guys should know better. 
    Times have not changed, it's been this way for years.
    It's part of the industry and anyone who has been in this industry for some time learns it. They either learn it the hard way or they pay attention.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: