Home General Discussion

Help, Under Crown cracking !

MoleRatMoleRat Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
I bought a box of under crown  and last three that I smoked  have cracked from the cutting end to the label. My humidifier reads 69 and I keep a constant humidity of  69 to 70.  I have had no problems with other brand of cigars in the same  humidor. Is it me?  

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you measure your rH (humidity level) and what do you use as a humidification device? What are you using to cut the cigar and as detailed as you can, are you able to walk me through step by step how you do so? The more information you can provide with detail the better answer I, and others, can provide ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • MoleRatMoleRat Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    I use Boveda 72%. I  recently use that product two receipts in my humidor. 
     When I cut a cigar or use the guillotine cutter and try to take it at the Or even a little less.   I moisten the cigar with my lips prior to cutting. This process seems to help a little.   I have added a picture of the inside of my humidor, I hope this helps.  
    Oops I meant reseason!
     OK, let me start again. I cut it as close to the Or less then If can .   Darn I made a mess of the first one , 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    try a v-cut with a razor or very sharp pen-knife. It could be your cutter is dull
    Thank you, I just tried another cigar with a new cutter and had the same result.  I think I'll try a punch next time. 
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Try dry boxing for 24 hours or so. Also for me 72 is way too high. I am a 65 and below smoker and I rarely have burn issues unless it is really windy and that still does not always cause an issue. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Thank you miller!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Your cutter might need to be cleaned/sharpened, there are a tone of factors here that could cause that to happen.  Are they the cheep "free" cutters, or something like a xikar?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Patrickbrick, I agree! I have had them in my box for over a week. Maybe it is the 69 to 70%.  But it's pretty dry out here?  
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this problem a couple years ago. I was using an older cutter. Not a lot of mileage on it but it was a cheapo. I bought a quality Xikar and have never looked back. Yes, they are expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the Colibri V-cutter.  It works on every cigar I have had because you can control how deep the v cut is.  I also have a couple Xikar guillotines that work very well but have been very partial the the V as of late.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    edited June 2016
    If you look very closely at a quality hand made cigar there are typically 3 lines that are seen and that is the cap. This is what holds the cigar wrapper together from being unravelled, make sure you are not cutting at or below this. 

Moistening with the lips helps a lot as well, I had a similar problem until I started doing that years ago. Make sure if you are using a Xikar guillotine cutter that you are using steady and even pressure from both sides, and that it is not so much a "pinch and snap" but a smooth constant pressure to close the sides together (thats what she said hehehe :D )

Hope this helps, here is a pic of that triple cap for reference: 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    To add to Brett's post, remember to go fast.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    To add to Brett's post, remember to go fast.
    Yeah you hear that all the time dont you :)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Im just gonna leave that were the good lord flung it.....

Brett
    I know what I said.
    MOW badge received.
    :) Thank you all very much! I have an Xikar cutter but I haven't Been using it.  I'll try that and go fast
    Yeah if you have issues with the Xikar they do have a lifetime warranty so you can send it in and they will sharpen and send back to you at no cost.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always best to look at the obvious first, but there ls also a chance that you got some damaged sticks. I got a box of Herrera  Esteli that I KNOW the cap is going to come off when I cut it no mater how I cut it, I'm guessing that the box probably got dropped during shipping.  
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might be pushing or pulling when you are cutting, and not realize it. Set the open cutter on a hard surface, put the cigar in, then try to cut in a steady motion. Just an option.
    Dull cutter or a dropped box are possible issues also. Good luck!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Thanks again everyone.  I think that I may not be cutting it fast enough.  By what I have picked up here at least.  Well, I'll give it another try later this evening, I hope.  If not,tomorrow for sure.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't smoke anything de but if you have a xikar cutter and your not using it well wtf! That being said worst case is just peel the cap off with your fingernail 
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee, you're right, I don't know what I was thinking!
    Glad it worked out MR, been a while since I had some DE stuff but that Undercrown is a very solid smoke and I don't have anything bad at all to say about them. Welcome again and enjoy, you're among friends here ;)

Brett
    Irishman, thank you!  Is that a Road Glide you're riding?  I can't be sure from the picture. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    MoleRat said:
    I forgot to welcome you! So welcome naked mole rat 
    Money can't buy taste
    MoleRat said:
    Irishman, thank you!  Is that a Road Glide you're riding?  I can't be sure from the picture. 
    Thanks and always happy to help, I love to talk and live in front of a computer so am always posting and annoying people with how much I talk :p

As for the bike, agree hard to see in the pics but that is a 1985 Kawasaki GPz750, the original Ninja as in 1986 they slapped that name on it and changed to liquid cooled instead of air cooled.

Brett
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    MoleRat said:
    A box of Under Crown saved by the CCOM BOTL! Thank You Lee!