Home General Discussion
Options

Evansville Indiana

Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know we have couple guys here from Indiana but does anyone live in Evansville?

by the way Indiana WTF no cold beer sold in gas stations?????

Comments

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    My bad warm beer, I thought I was in Florida again. We have gas stations without cigarettes too. Mostly up to the owners on what to sell and not sell.

We have some strange laws here like in most states. Cant buy a car on Sunday either. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoosiers looking for a cold one, will have to head to the liquor store after a judge shoots down cold beer sales in Indiana convenience stores.

This decision upholds the current Indiana state law. As it stands, only liquor stores can sell 'chilled' beer, other stores must sell it at room temperature.

A group of convenience stores attempted to change the law, but they were denied. The cold beer law, stays the same.

Getting a cold one in the Hoosier state? You can't get it at gas stations, grocery stores, or Wal-Mart.

If you want it chilled, you'll have to go to a liquor store.

"Oh, we're happy." Kwik Liquor clerk, Greg Rhoades, says he is glad the Indiana law over the sale of cold beer will stay the same. "It increases our business, and it will keep more money in the small business owner's pockets, versus all of these big chains."

Rhoades says the law helps keep the mom and pop stores alive. "It was started by my family about thirty-two years ago."

At Kwik Liquor, this clerk says there are things the big business retailers can't provide. "Good customer service. A lot of our customers, we try to give the best service as possible. We also offer a variety of things that grocery stores wouldn't be able to," says Rhoades.

For the customer looking for a cold one like Peejay Kempf, convenience is key. "If you're getting gas anyway, get your twelve pack cold, and go home." Kempf says he wishes Indiana law would allow gas stations to sell cold beer, but agrees places like grocery stores should not. "If you're going to shop for an hour, there is no since in having a cold beer in the grocery stores. At gas stations, where you are getting your gas, I think it is convenient and reasonable."

Kempf says the convenience of options is what keeps the local liquor stores thriving, over the big name chains. "Liquor stores offer so much more variety and choices. People want beer and variety. They are going to go to a liquor store anyway," says Rhoades.

The judge's ruling said, allowing convenience stores to sell cold beer would mean more alcohol sales across the state, which would be harder for Indiana State Excise Police to enforce state liquor laws.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be in Evansville area on and off for the next year anyone close??
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on the other side of the state. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @miller65rod
    It sounds like typical govt logic.
    People in Oregon can't pump their own gas, because it is dangerous and it will cost jobs.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get a job in Evansville two years ago...

It worked out.  Still, grew up and lived a long time on Indy's Southside.  Y'all are better off in some ways than TN, MS, or PA.  Heck, I interviewed for a job in a dry county in Arkansas.

TN and MS don't allow wine or liquor to be sold in grocery stores.  Wine.  But you can get beer and get it cold at the supermarket and gas stations.  But you can never get beer at the same place as wine and hard liquor in either state IIR.

PA is the most screwed up.  Beer can only be purchased from a distributor at approved stores.  Some groceries are starting to sell beer, but you can't purchase anything else with the beer and have to do it at a separate register--back in the deli area usually.  You can get it cold, but nothing is sold at gas stations.  Wine and liquor are only sold at state run stores and while I've never been truly disappointed at the selection, there are some things that never got "licensed" to be sold in the state.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first came to DullAware, I rented a cottage on a horse farm. So why, like any well adjusted young man, first thing I did, I went to the grocery store to stock the fridge with beer. Up and down the aisles I went, once, twice, around all the coolers. Nuttin. Finally threw my hands up, approached the gal running the five items lane, and I said: "You know, this is gonna sound real stupid, but I've been all over this store and I can't find the beer. Where is it?" I was right. It did sound stupid. To her. No beer in grocery stores in Delaware. That was my first intro to the legacy of Anthony Comstock and such not zealous shacklers. I soon discovered many more examples. You could not buy beer at all on a Sunday. Had to go to Merryland. Every road to Maryland, there are two liquor stores, one on either side, just over the border, and there would be drunken youngsters driving back home. Could not buy snacks in a liquor store ... the notion being, I spose, that yoiu're better off drinking on an empty stomach. Visited Pennsyltucky, at the time you could not buy beer except in a pub. What? Bro in law in PA imports fine French wines to restaurants. Can't deliver them. Has to take them to the state store, consigned to the restaurant, which adds a buck per bottle, then Ruth's Chris, or whoever, has to send their own van out to fetch it. What's that imagined to accomplish? First time in New Yawk, I was surprised to discover you could not tote a six pack out of the store by the convenient built in handle. Had to be in a brown paper bag or the store would get busted. Every which way you look, on this side of the country, there are bits and shreds of completely futile left over Prohibition insanity. Once you employ a single bureaucrat, however retarded his sinecure, that bureau never goes away. Like the mohair subsidy and the Commission to Standardize Screw Threads and your bridge authority... They only get more expensive, more oppressive, more despised, and more futile. First dry county I encountered was in Kentucky. PBR held a bull riding event at the county seat in Harrisonburg. Checked into the motel, the clerk asked me: "You need the beer dolly?" Thought I musta mis-heard her Kaintucky accent. "Pardon me?" She gestured toward the door. Where I saw a dually with a fifth wheel backed up to the front door and PBR cowboys unloading beer from it using a dolly they kept for the purpose in the lobby. The beer dolly. Had it's own corner beside the door.
    The exact same will happen with the new cigars regs. A hundred years after we are in our graves, the idiocy will continue, in some futile form or another.

"... a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!"
    Ronald Reagan

Been thru Evansville. Most miserable heat I ever endured was an afternoon watching the Otters in that old ballpark Bosse Field; recognizable as the home field of A League of Their Own. Just about collapsed from humidity. Have a good friend from my boat building days landed there named Joyce. I call her Joyster; cause she is a beautiful pearl hidden inside an ugly shell. Next morning we got up early and fled the hell outta there before it got hot. Always wondered since how they kept those movie stars from sweating their spensive assets off making that movie.

Okay. Enough stories. I gotta get to work. See ya guys.

When's the next monthly lottery? I'm in.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Devildog1 said:
    I know we have couple guys here from Indiana but does anyone live in Evansville?

by the way Indiana WTF no cold beer sold in gas stations?????
    And don't forget. No liquor sold in stores on Sunday!  
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go through there all the time. Though I'm usually on a boat so no chance for sightseeing. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liquor laws are strange.

Oregon, you can buy wine and beer in all stores. You have to go to the liquor store for hard alcohol.

Washington, across the river, grocery stores sell whiskey, wine and beer.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In WI, home of the highest % of drunks, we can get almost anything anywhere anytime.  Taverns can only sell beer for take-out.  Stores can sell anything (assuming they can bribe someone and get a liquor license) but sales end at 9pm.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *whistles innocently*
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Livin' the sweet life in Cali.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    I didn't get a job in Evansville two years ago...

It worked out.  Still, grew up and lived a long time on Indy's Southside.  Y'all are better off in some ways than TN, MS, or PA.  Heck, I interviewed for a job in a dry county in Arkansas.

TN and MS don't allow wine or liquor to be sold in grocery stores.  Wine.  But you can get beer and get it cold at the supermarket and gas stations.  But you can never get beer at the same place as wine and hard liquor in either state IIR.

PA is the most screwed up.  Beer can only be purchased from a distributor at approved stores.  Some groceries are starting to sell beer, but you can't purchase anything else with the beer and have to do it at a separate register--back in the deli area usually.  You can get it cold, but nothing is sold at gas stations.  Wine and liquor are only sold at state run stores and while I've never been truly disappointed at the selection, there are some things that never got "licensed" to be sold in the state.
    TN is changing, soon.  The local Walmart has already cleared an aisle for wine.  Now if they'll just adjust the taxes.  A few years back I picked up a bottle of something "marked down" to $11.50.  Couple weeks later in TX I picked up a bottle of the same, also marked down, for < $3.00.  Hmm.

Many years ago in South Carolina I stopped someplace and asked for directions to a liquor store, "You just passed one" was the reply.  "Where?"  I asked, the guy pointed at a building across the parking lot, no signs anywhere, the building had red dots painted on it.  That was how liquor stores were marked.  Weird, don't know if it's still like that.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain