Home Non Cigar Related

What's the toughest decision you've ever made?

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
This morning, it was Ethiopian Yergecheffe or Tanzanian Peaberry, but in life, I don't know that I've had to make a decision that really tore me up.  What about you?
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, the hardest decision was not to kill the dead beat low life son of a **** that got my daughter pregnant. Guess it was a good one since I am not in jail and enjoying the heck out of my grandson. Easiest one for me was getting married. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so which was it, Yergacheffe or Peaberry?

Quitting drinking was the easiest but hardest to keep decision I ever made. Life's been good ever since.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divorce.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turned down a job that payed significantly more than I make now because I couldn't see myself raising my kids in that area.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paper or plastic 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulling the trigger.  
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @silvermouse. Hardest thing I had to do but saved my life 1 year 8 months ago.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardest decision was deciding on going home and getting back to work on the boats in Alaska or stay in the rookie league and possibly move up or spend 10 years in the minors trying to make it.

I was just 18, missing my girlfriend (now, my wife), struggling terribly to pitch well, not officially making the cut and not sure what to do.

Several phone calls to my step dad and he just said I had to make the decision. The boats will always be there and they have flights to Kodiak all the time, so I can be home in a day and only I can make that decision.
    The last thing he said before I went and bought the plane ticket home was that most guys never even get the chance, so to make it that far, he was proud of that. 
    I left the next day for Alaska.

Missy has asked me if I regretted leaving. Of course I do.
    Too many "what could have beens".
    But I'm also a realist. Would I have really made it that far? Probably not.

She thought at one time, it was her fault I came home. She was one of the deciding factors, but not why I eventually walked away.
    Money, uncertainty and not having the experience pretty, much cover it.

The are several other times of tough decisions, but this is the one decision that affected the outcome of my life the way it is.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

Missy ... thought at one time, it was her fault I came home. 
    She ought to be proud of that, rather than regret it. The right woman can be hard to find. 

The biggest decisions always came easy to me. You get clarity. It's the yergechef or peaberry schidt that drives me nuts... whatever they are. Hell, I can waste half an hour sniffing round my various humidors looking what to burn and come up doing something else instead.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

She always worried that I blamed her for my lack of success in baseball.
    At that time, my lack of success was do to my lack of heart in it.
    As much as I loved pitching and playing baseball, I doubted myself terribly. And that affected my performance terribly. LOL!

When your gal is 1000 miles away from you and you doubt yourself, that can also transition into problems in the relationship.

Luckily, she stood by me every step of the way, even though her family hates me, cause I have this problem with speaking my mind. ROFL!

As for simple decisions, that's what momma is for.
    I can't even decide what to have for dinner. Choosing a cigar takes forever and even worse if I get sidetracked.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    trying to figure out how to handle my aging parents and their stuff before one of them falls, they are very stubborn people and don't take change well.
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    For me, putting down our Beagle almost 7 years ago.  We got him as a rescue when the summer we moved to Peoria from Knoxville.  He looked bad.  Had kennel cough, eye issues and ear issues.  He became my best buddy.  We got him to great health and gave him a good home for close to 6 years.  It still breaks my heart thinking about him today.  I made sure that I was there with him and in front of him so he could see me at the end.  Love you Buddy!
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobbo2009 said:
    For me, putting down our Beagle almost 7 years ago.  We got him as a rescue when the summer we moved to Peoria from Knoxville.  He looked bad.  Had kennel cough, eye issues and ear issues.  He became my best buddy.  We got him to great health and gave him a good home for close to 6 years.  It still breaks my heart thinking about him today.  I made sure that I was there with him and in front of him so he could see me at the end.  Love you Buddy!
    That's a tough one for sure,it's always hard to lose your buddy. We rescued a brug(Brussels griffon pug mix)
    about eight years ago. Not looking forward to that day.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I went with the Eth Yerg.  Finished the bag.  

I wasn't thinking about putting down my dog.  That was hard, but I knew it was right.  She had seizures and no longer responded to meds.  2.5 hours of seizure after seizure one Saturday alone with the kids who were basically first grade and preschool aged (so no help) made it an easier decision.  She was in pain.  Easy decision but hard to do.  Good comments, guys.  Decision making is an interesting process.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    1) Leaving the Air Force Academy after my sophomore year.

2) Joining the Peace Corps

3) Putting down two of my wonderful cats, one from old age/stroke, the other from cancer.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
    Didn' t think about having to put down animals. 
    2 come to mind. 

Our lab, who was about 12 years old. He developed kidney problems and we kept taking him to the vet avoiding the thought that we would gave to put him down. 
    Finally, the vet told us, the best thing for him. Was either very costly surgery and might create him more discomfort or put him to sleep. And the bad thing was, he wasn't supposed to be part of the family, from my view when we got him.
    He protected momma from coyotes, coons and possums on several occasions. He became my buddy and momma's baby.
    I could leave a piece of venison jerky on his paw for hours and he wouldn't touch it for hours. He'd drool all over, but he wouldn't touch it until you said ok.

The other animal that was tough on us, was our 30 lb Siamese. He killed possums, rats, moles, coons and chased off anything that entered our yard, along with the lab. They were a team. They slept next to each other, played together and grew up together. After the lab went down, he went downhill fast and one day, he crawled into the cubby of my desk and refuse to come out for 3 days.
    The vet told us that he was sick and had hung on for the lab. 

2 of the best animals we'd ever had having to be put down with in months, was tough. Both urns sit side by side now.

Normally, I'm not a feeling type of person, but even 10 years later, I still miss those 2 dopeys crashing thru the house.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt, saying goodbye to my younger brother and removing him from life support. 
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Leaving my girlfriend of almost 4 years because we were going to different grad schools. Driving away from our last night together, heading from FL to MA was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Turns out with info gathered after, it was long over due.