Home General Discussion
Options

Windedor Build

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
I managed to find a solid-state wine cooler on Craigslist for $40 a week or so ago (Wine Enthusiast VinoView) that I'm working on converting to a Windedor.  The cooler seems to hold temp at just around 68-70 F at the high setting (65) so it seems like a good project.  It only came with one wine rack in it, though, so I shopped around and found that the racks cost more than I paid for the cooler so I found some grid cooling tray racks at Michael's that measure 14.5" x 20" that fit in the cooler with a bit of modification.  I had to cut the rails where they were bent and cut them to size, but since I got three for the price of two at $10 each I figured it was a bargain, especially since I get three full sized racks and three shorter racks out of them.  https://www.michaels.com/10058219.html

I'm going to get some cedar trays and beads, clean up the cooler and it should be good to go.image
Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    this looks like a fun one Chris. What are the inside dimensions? Also I am a fan of the Le Veil electronic humidifier if you consider that route. I will definitely be following this one :) 
  • Options
    The usable inside dimensions are roughly 14.5" x 10.5" x 22" in the cooler but the door has some room in it too for larger boxes or holding things in it too.  I saw a photo of someone's winedor where they had some cigars stored in sleeves in the door.  I may actually stick a few wine bottles in it too.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good 
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good!
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like it.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it Chris enjoy and very cool, you'll fall in love with wineador a once you start using it too I'm sure ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $40??? and it works? 
    that's a steal.  nice find

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you did good Chris, nice size to it
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Was watching Craigslist for a while but deals like this came up before in Santa Cruz and Silicon Valley. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find. I'm checking my local graigslist now. 
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Nice find. I'm checking my local graigslist now. 
    I find much better deals on letitgo they have an app also. 
  • Options
    I ordered an Arduino WeMos D1 mini + a DHT22 Shield which will give me wireless temperature and humidity readings from my Winedor for $8.35... once it gets here from China and I figure out how to set it up.  I'm thinking of just snaking a USB cable out the drain hole if possible before I seal it up to power this.  The kit I ordered comes with a DHT11 Shield which is less accurate and has less range for temperature and humidiy so I don't plan on using it.

I picked it up here.

I posted more info on the project and a link to another forum which has more info here:  http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/778828/arduino-or-raspberrypi-humidors

Hopefully I'll get this in a month or two and be good to go.

• Options
    will this be able to send the data to your phone? 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Not sure, maybe if I'm smart enough to find or make a program for it.  I did find a free iPhone curl app that should work, but is basic command line script stuff. Curl is a way to send URL (web) requests from a command line and is very common in automated test environments.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icurlhttp/id611943891?mt=8

A bit of searching and Blynk looks like it may do the trick for IOS and Android.

http://www.blynk.cc/

• Options
    Still waiting to receive the Arduino WeMos D1 mini + a DHT22 Shield for wireless temperature and humidity readings (slow boat from China) but I did receive Boveda 84 % seasoning packs from @NorthsideSmoke (thanks Frank) and am officially seasoning the spanish cedar trays in the Winedor prior to loading up my cigars in the winedor sans tupperdors.

• Options
    That looks so cool man. 
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking great Chris co grays, very nice!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris a heads up, the humidity pools at the top of these things so make sure you keep some boveda up top to absorb the moisture 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Thanks for the tip. 
  • Options
    The winedor is seasoning, top shelf is creeping up to mid seventies and it is hitting the eightieth percentile near the bottom.  It's nice to have a clear front so I'm not tempted to open it up and check on things. 

I'm planning on putting the beads at this top, but will also wire up a fan. 
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    So, I think that the humidity in the winedor is more stable than I first thought.  I'd picked up a Boveda calibration pack with my Western Caliber 4R and threw my three digital hygrometers in with the Boveda for a check.  It's still early, I haven't waited 24 hours yet, but the Western Caliber and the Hygro-Set are both reading 75% while the Xikar is reading 73%.  It was the Xikar that was at the top.  I put it in a sealed plastic container instead of a bag to avoid any issues with checking the Xikar in a bag, as pointed out on another thread.

Seasoning of the spanish cedar trays should be complete on Wednesday, I'm looking forward to being able to start using my Winedor.

• Options
    love those calibre 4r's they look cool, Wednesday is the big day right?
  • Options
    Yup, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    It's been a while since I updated this thread, I've been using the Winedor and enjoying it, the trays are filling up.  Today I picked up a timer and set it to cycle the small desktop fan on and off every 15 minutes for better circulation.  I've got some smaller fans I'll see about putting in and routing the cables through the drain instead of the seal in the door.  I also got the parts for the wireless hygrometer arduino project but haven't had time to put it together yet, let along start programming the hardware yet.

On the minus side, I have noticed condensation at the bottom (I have the drain plugged) due to the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the winedor.

imageimage
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn fine setup Chris
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my crystal ball Swami sees, wider/deeper trays, and wine bottles replaced by full boxes.

Unless the wine is in there to keep the missus happy.  Then Swami only sees the wider/deeper trays.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    looks very cool Chris. But kinda empty don't ya think?
  • Options
    Funny guy, Frank, the trays are overflowing as it is.

The wine bottles are in the door.  I could probably kick 'em out in favor of boxes but I get most of my stuff in bundles anyway.  
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people re-direct the moisture back into beans or KL. I have not noticed any condensation in mine with running beads. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!