Home General Discussion
Options

RH Confusion...

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

So I have my hygrometer (a new one) that I calibrated with a boveda calibration pack. Its set for 75%rh. I get the hygromerter (digital I cant recall the brand... caliber IV?) set to match the pack RH and then I drop it in my humidor. I have a shot glass of water, a Boveda 65% pack and 2 65% Heartfelt sticks (both are capable of handling 150ct humidor so I doubled up on my humi and they are dry so they can soak up the extra humidity)... I dropped it in last night and checked it this morning and its sitting heavy at 70%RH.

I don't understand how I have a 65% boveda pack and 2 65% HF sticks and still be up at 70%. I know 70% isn't outside the safe range for cigars.... but I prefer mine at 65%. the smoke much easier. the humi is on an inside wall, climate controlled (74 degrees at all times) and out of the sun. any ideas as to whats going on? the shot glass and boveda pack are the only humidity sources.

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your ambient humidity? The shot glass may be overwhelming the system
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Ambient RH.... I have no idea. Ill leave the hygrometer in the room tonight and see what it turns out to be.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly @Wylaff ...  Why do you have the water in there, Chris?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there cigars in your new humidor?  The cigars could be adding to the rh and eventually it will stabilize out to the 65.  If there are no cigars in there still give it at least 1 week to drop down, one day won't do ****, these things need time.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    My thoughts exactly @Wylaff ...  Why do you have the water in there, Chris?

cause that was my only source of humidity. I got the HF sticks and leave them dry to pull out additional moisture that the shotglass puts off. Maybe ill pull that and leave the Boveda pack in there and see how it handles  it?
  • Options
    Are there cigars in your new humidor?  The cigars could be adding to the rh and eventually it will stabilize out to the 65.  If there are no cigars in there still give it at least 1 week to drop down, one day won't do ****, these things need time.

I have cigars in there its about 2/3 full. but they have been in the humi for at least a month depending on when I got them. I haven't added new stock (except 2 Undercrown Flying Pigs) for over a month as far as I remember.
  • Options
    How long have you had the 65% stuff in there?  The entire time?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    65% beads should always be placed in dry. You don't spritz them like KL.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

Ive had the 65% HF sticks in my humidor for about 2-3 years. they still look like they did when I first bought them. Ive soaked half a stick occasionally when the levels have dropped and it evens it all out.

• Options
    Well if this were me I would not care, but I understand why you do, so i would take out the shot glass and boveda packs.  I would let the packs sit out for a few days then put them back in.  Now if the humidity in your home is super high, this is why your humidor is high, and you won't really be able to fix it unless you lower the level of the house.  In my opinion I would just not worry about it as long as the cigars are smoking.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

• Options
    UPDATE - Took my hygrometer out of the humi and left it on my night stand near it. RH WAS 80%!!!! Our AC had been off for several weeks due to a leaking issue from the drain pipe... fixed now. After I left the hygro out I put in in the calibration bag, put those in my herf-a-dor (to avoid additional or lack of RH) and hid it in my closet in a nice cool 72 degrees. Calibrated it to those readings and dropped it back in my humi. Its now reading at 67%... better than before. So now im not too concerned about how off it is. lol a couple % either direction isn't a biggy.