Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Help finding or receiving WWII service docs

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

Hey... So I got word that my grandfather's letters to his first son have finally being sent to him without all the redactions AND he has been receiving his declassified documents from his time in the military during WWII. My uncle is not sharing any of the information with the rest of the family. Since I have been working on our genealogy, im trying to fill in the blanks of his life that he never talked about.

Do you know how I would go abouts receiving copies of his declassified docs?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Is there a Veteran's Service Office in your area?  They may be able to help you. 

My wife retired as an Assistant Veteran's Service Officer here in California. There are many things they can do for veterans and their families. I'd start there.....
  • Options
    Great idea! Ill check out my local VA and see if they can help. My grandpa was very secretive (due to orders and his personal habits) about the whole military life and even declined and rejected any and all government coverage/assistance after he left the military. Its just a huge black hole in his history.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    sound intriguing, sounds like a good plot for a cool book, if your not able to find anything out,  
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once the election cycle has run it's course you might approach one of your congress people to see if they can help with your grandfathers military records.. If you do pick one thats a vet if you can find one. I hope you are successful .
  • Options

Thanks for the support guys! I haven't yet decided how to handle this yet. I like the idea of a congress person. doesn't hurt to have a little fire power on my side. :)

Honestly from how my grandmother reacted when my uncle talked to her about it.... Im a little nervous as to what I will find. She is usually a really happy and honest person but when asked about my grandpas war history.... she went slate faced and told him to drop it before people get hurt or we will learn things we didn't want to know.