Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Gauging Interest --- Fantasy HOCKEY League

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
For those of you (like me), who have never done fantasy hockey before here's a good primer on how it's played: http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2014/8/29/6080311/fantasy-hockey-introduction-guide

With that being said, would anyone want to be a "guinea pig" with me and do a fantasy hockey league this season?  The season starts on Oct 12 and runs through next April.

I'm thinking it'll be a 5-cigar buy-in. 
And prizes for 1st & 2nd. 

If you are interested, please comment below. 
And let me know what you think of the buy-in/prizes .... I'm open to other ideas too.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll sign up as tentative. We have some stuff coming up at work that could potentially keep me too busy to partake, but I will know a bit better closer to Oct.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe. Maybe not.
  • Options
    alright @Wylaff & @CharlieHeis .... for planning purposes i'm going to put you both down as a "yes" for now lol. 

i'd like to have a minimum of 10 people, to make it worth while.  max 20. 

i know we have a limited amount of hockey fans here so i'm going to blast this out in a couple other places as well.  but if we get enough interest here for a CCOM only league going, that works for me.

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Waiting for this fantasy league to start. Maybe we can get more Canucks on the Forum.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    I could be down with this. 
  • Options
    Waiting for this fantasy league to start. Maybe we can get more Canucks on the Forum.

http://www.curlingzone.com/fantasy/
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^ I in when you all are ready. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested 
  • Options
    bert873 said:
    I'd be interested 
    noted.  thanks

• Options
    CigarPunk said:
    I could be down with this. 
    cool.  we're at "6" so far.

would probably want to get at least 10 teams to make it worth it.  max 20 teams.

• Options
    I work with a guy that is interested. He smokes cigars and loves hockey. He knows little about cigars though. If he won we could send him yard gars and he'd be happy. Lol

Side note: I bombed him a while back and he thought a Hemingway with a year on it was one of the best cigars he had ever had. 
  • Options
    I work with a guy that is interested. He smokes cigars and loves hockey. He knows little about cigars though. If he won we could send him yard gars and he'd be happy. Lol

Side note: I bombed him a while back and he thought a Hemingway with a year on it was one of the best cigars he had ever had. 
    Charlie if you will vouch for him...he's in.

• Options
    I'll more than likely pay his way. I don't even think he has a humidor. Either way, his buy in will be covered.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could do this. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    matkn293 said:
    I could do this. 
    awesome.  If we can get a few more people interested, and have at least a league of 10 I think that would be great.

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing there will be a draft, substituting injured players etc... I don't know enough about these here kids...
  • Options
    Bigshizza said:
    I'm guessing there will be a draft, substituting injured players etc... I don't know enough about these here kids...
    yes it's similar to fantasy football or fantasy baseball. 

@Bigshizza ; check out this link for lots more info: http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2014/8/29/6080311/fantasy-hockey-introduction-guide

• Options
    Just do it Shizz!

• Options
    Alright a question for all who are interested in playing fantasy hockey.......

Please comment and tell me if you would prefer a:
    • WEEKLY league?
    • DAILY league? 
    • Or NO PREFERENCE?
    ------------------------------------------------------

A DAILY league is going to allow more flexibility to adjust your lineup in response to injuries, hot/cold streaks, etc. 
    This will favor more active managers (it takes just a couple minutes each day to adjust your lineup if desired).

A WEEKLY league is going to help "even the playing field" between more active managers and less active managers. 
    But, the downside of a weekly format is that most players will have 2-4 games in a week.  So if your player is injured early in the week, they could miss multiple games and you would not be able to adjust your lineup immediately.

------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think @Wylaff , @CharlieHeis , @miller65rod , @CigarPunk @bert873 , @matkn293 , @Bigshizza , do you have a preference of WEEKLY vs DAILY?

@bearb , would you be interested in playing?

• Options
    I would be more interested in a weekly.

• Options
    Same^
  • Options
    ^^^^same
  • Options
    ^><^^same

• Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could swing either way
  • Options
    bert873 said:
    I could swing either way
    Ummmmm Nevermind. 
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Alright folks, looks like "WEEKLY" format is preferred, so that's what we'll be doing. 

I'd like to see at least 1 more person sign up so we have an even "10". 

The season starts on WED OCT 12.

So the draft will (tentatively) be held on MON OCT 10 at 900 EST.
    (If a majority have a problem with that day/time, we can reschedule.)    
    1. @jgibv
    2. @Wylaff
    3. @CharlieHeis
    4. @miller65rod
    5. @CigarPunk
    6. @bert873
    7. @CharlieHeis ' coworker
    8. @matkn293
    9. @Bigshizza

• Options
    I have a problem with that day and time. Presumably I will be too drunk to find my ass thanks to the oct herf.

• Options
    Wylaff said:
    I have a problem with that day and time. Presumably I will be too drunk to find my ass thanks to the oct herf.
    Preseason doesn't wrap up until Sunday night so Monday and Tuesday are our only  options. 

If Monday does not work for a majority of people, we can do it on Tuesday instead. 

• Options
    What are we using? Yahoo or something else and what are the stats we will be earning points for?