Home Cigar 101
Options

Wrapper not burning

arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Cigar 101
Ok I think I know the answer to this but just want to make sure I am right. My humi is staying around 67 % to 70 % RH .On the last couple of cigars the wrapper doesn't want to stay lit. Is this because I need to lower the RH? And do you guys take out a cigar and let rest before lighting it?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably, and yes.  I'd shoot for 63 - 65%, especially in your part of the country.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And...  are you certain your hygrometer is accurate?  Have you calibrated it?  Is it digital?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably, and yes.  I'd shoot for 63 - 65%, especially in your part of the country.

This and yes... I would recommend letting your cigar rest for about a hour. I felt when my humi was in the 70% range (by choice) they wouldn't burn as well right outta the box. So I would let them sit before smoking them. I usually got better performance out of them that way. But what worked for me may not work for everyone. Trial and error.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's assuming your environment is at a lower humidity than what's in your humidor.  We always hear about dry-boxing, but then nobody mentions the 'dry-box' has to be drier.

The other often overlooked part of the equation is the temperature, which is why you read the old adage about 70% at 70 degrees.  Put that same 70/70 humidor in a warmer room, and it'll be 65% at 80 degrees even though the air in the humi is the same air.  That's why it's called "relative" humidity.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Also how long have you had the cigar? I recently smoked a cigar I got from one of our BOTL and nothing I did could keep that cigar lit. Wayne did the math on the release to my humidor time and was a matter of a few weeks. That cigar was just way too fresh. But it may be a case of your cigar was stored at too high a humidity wherever you purchased it and it needs more time to settle.   
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The higher the temp, the more water the air can hold so 70% RH at 80 degrees has a lot more water than 70% at 60 degrees.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ligero or other oily wrappers can have trouble burning, even if the humidity isn't too high. If it's a certain type or brand of cigar, sometimes you can "dry box" or set them in an empty unseasonably humidor for a little while (hours, a day, whatever) before you smoke. Don't have an empty humidor, just lay it out on the counter (unless you live in a swamp). 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    arch is a long way from the nearest swamp
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Yeah more like in the middle of the Mohave desert lol
  • Options
    Ok I got he RH down to 65% and the temp is around 70 to 75 now that it is cooler here thank god. I am getting a new humi in two weeks that will have temp control. It is a Newair CC 300
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    The higher the temp, the more water the air can hold so 70% RH at 80 degrees has a lot more water than 70% at 60 degrees.
    This is correct
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    arch72 said:
    Ok I got he RH down to 65% and the temp is around 70 to 75 now that it is cooler here thank god. I am getting a new humi in two weeks that will have temp control. It is a Newair CC 300

that's a badass setup.... im jealous! lol
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.