Home General Discussion

Remote humidity gauge accuracy

Since I am VERY new to this. Is there a remote system that is more accurate than +/-5%? of the ones I have been able to find this seems to be the norm. I dont want to have to open the coolirdor to check so I wanted to go remote. Any help or Ideas?

Comments

• ThanatosPaThanatosPa Posts: 14
    PS this is the unit I am looking at. 
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Digital-Weather-Station-Wireless-Outdoor-Sensor/999990094?site=shopLocal&cm_mmc=email_bv-_-Question-_-AnswerNotification-_-view_conversation 
     I know it has extra stuff but I like the color screen and the indoor reading as well B)
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I use the xikar wireless hygrometer.
    I have 3 remote units, 1 in my humidor, and 2 in my coolidor.   you can toggle through all three remotes with the base.
    I had to replace one of the remote units because it was two points off.
    The only thing I don't like about this is you cannot calibrate them yourself. They are Factory calibrated.
    I took one apart, the defective one, to see what was inside.
    I reordered another one and it is correct.
    However, you can't check the calibration by putting them in a ziplock bag. The company recommends that you use a tupperware container with a lid.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So once you test them in a Tupperware container and know how far off they are, either high or low, then you're good to go, yes? 

None of the hygrometers I use are able to be calibrated.  They just have a small square of masking tape with "+4" or "-3" on it. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    You can calibrate the SensorPush and monitor the activity on your phone or pad.

Not cheap, but you can use as many as you want (20, I think) and they're small so they take up little room in the humi.

https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wireless-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Android/dp/B01AEQ9X9I
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I went with this one for $20.00 I am happy!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NOGILLS2
    I use those in my grow rooms, got them at Walmart for 25 bucks.
    I never had much cause to check the calibration, but the temperature reading is accurate.
    I have dehumidifiers that keep it at 40%.
    I have the display sitting in front of a webcam, and I use TeamViewer to log in and check the temperatures.
    They work well
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I like not having to open the cooler to check temp or RH, just look on the bookcase. I usually open the cooler to chose a smoke!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an ambient weather model with 4 remotes.  I think it is +/- 1%.  Works great.  I calibrate the remote sensors all at once when I change the batteries.  Big display I put on the shelf to check all 4 sensors.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go in my cooler often enough that just having some regular hygrometers in there works for me.  Coolers hold their humidity so well that its really a non issue.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I went with this one you can't change the RH on the sending unit but you can change what the base says. so You can make any needed changes on the unit so that it reads the right Rh

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW4970O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1