Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Pigeon Forge Area

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
Our prayers go out to those in the Pigeon Forge Gatlinburg area.  We went up there for the first time the week before Thanksgiving and fell in love with the place.  There is so much to do and there are such great people there.  They are very military and law enforcement friendly.

My only regret is that we only had four days to spend.  We planned to go back and we will.  We hope that they can rebuild and get back to normal as soon as possible.

Comments

• Options
    ZuluEchoPapaZuluEchoPapa Posts: 22 ✭✭
    We all appreciate the prayers. I'm a little south of Gatlinburg but I have several friends that were directly affected. It's been a rough few months with fires in this area but the recent rain seems to have helped the situation.
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been praying all week and in tears for the community of Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge. I love the area, and had a great hike in the area a couple of months back. To see places that I have been at many time, now completely destroyed is just awful. Several of the small family owed establishments, talk as if they may not be back. What a shame.  Continuing to pray!!!
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is tragic. The loss of life especially. :( But I do have a question. And, I hope my question isn't too sensitive at this point given the human loss but, I wonder about the large trees. Before the winds picked up, all the footage I saw was ground cover burning and I assumed most of the trees would be able to survive. But then the winds picked up. Now, I don't have such positive assumptions . Has anybody heard any expert opinion yet as to the recovery of the landscape?
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    It is tragic. The loss of life especially. :( But I do have a question. And, I hope my question isn't too sensitive at this point given the human loss but, I wonder about the large trees. Before the winds picked up, all the footage I saw was ground cover burning and I assumed most of the trees would be able to survive. But then the winds picked up. Now, I don't have such positive assumptions . Has anybody heard any expert opinion yet as to the recovery of the landscape?
    Here in Florida the forestry division routinely does controlled burns to stay ahead of the dry season here. The burn actually is healthy for the landscape and allows a fuller regrowth. That's here though. Mainly palms, Palm trees and such. Our landscape isn't big pines so I don't know how it will affect it.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was sorry to hear about the fires in Gatlinburg. Arrowmount School of Arts and Crafts is a gem located on 14 acres a block off the main drag. Arrowmount is a nationally recognized school that has been in operation for 75 years.. There is usually about 75 students on campus taking week long workshops in clay,fiber,metal,wood, photography,painting, etc. The faculity are mostly college professors from the US and Europe. I was lucky enough to teach several workshops at Arrowmount over the years. To give you an idea of the scale the wood studio where i taught cost the school $1,8000 to construct. Arrowmount was also lucky and came through the fire loosing only two of the newer dorms. The studios were spared.