Home Cigar 101
Options

Trouble with Salt Test Calibration

Hey guys,

I read several instructions on this site about how to conduct the salt test to calibrate my digital hygrometer.  After the recommended eight hours and even a few hours after, the maximum humidity that my hygrometer registered was 57.  I know deviation from the exact 75 is normal, but is it normal for it to be off by that much?  It seems like a lot.  I made sure the salt was wet but not soaking and I made sure the seal on the ziplock was tight.  Thoughts?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, but if you Google it I think you may find that it's supposed to sit for 24 - 36 hours for the test to complete. 
  • Options
    It's been about 36 hours at this point.  I ended up leaving the bag sealed after the low reading and it seems to be hovering in the mid 50s.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, all things being equal, and if you're sure the amount of water in the salt was right then it sounds like you may have to adjust your hygrometer. It is adjustable, right?  
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Boveda has those calibrating packs that you should use instead.  I never got it right when I tried to do the salt test on my own.  I didn't know if I put enough salt, too much water, etc.  The Calibrating Packs are easy to use and pretty accurate.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boveda has those calibrating packs that you should use instead.  I never got it right when I tried to do the salt test on my own.  I didn't know if I put enough salt, too much water, etc.  The Calibrating Packs are easy to use and pretty accurate.

That is exactly what I did. Works like a charm and super simple.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used a Boveda kit too, but now I'm wondering why that would be any different than any Boveda pack, and a good bag of small tupperware.  All you're doing is seeing if your hygrometer matches the % of the Boveda pack, right?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I've used a Boveda kit too, but now I'm wondering why that would be any different than any Boveda pack, and a good bag of small tupperware.  All you're doing is seeing if your hygrometer matches the % of the Boveda pack, right?
    I wondered that same thing myself.  Is there something special about those packs? Or is there something about that specific RH?