Home Cigar 101

Puzzled

Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok so does anyone have a time of day that cigars don't taste good? For some reason I have not had much luck smoking on the ride home from work (early in the morning after a 12 hour shift). Tried to smoke a Quesada Oktoberfest this morning in the truck and it was so awful I pitched it after about 20 minutes. Bitter flavor and some burn issues. Hoping this was a fluke but have not had great experiences this time of day for some reason. Also doubt it's a storage issue since it was in the same environment all my others are, and they taste great (on days off usually with a cocktail). 

Comments

• SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say I have had a few experiences where I have sat down to have a smoke and I was interrupted and I tried to come back and it wasn't as enjoyable. Also when it's cold I have a hard time enjoying a cigar. My best smokes are when I can just relax and take my time and not have a real agenda. The lounge setting makes for the best experience for me. Unfortunately my b&m wants 700 for a yearly membership. I am fighting the urge to do monthly through winter just to have a place to get out of the cold.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....The lounge setting makes for the best experience for me. Unfortunately my b&m wants 700 for a yearly membership. I am fighting the urge to do monthly through winter just to have a place to get out of the cold.
    By any chance do you belong to a Moose Lodge or Elks Lodge?  A lot of times lodges like these have smoking lounges and the membership fees are a lot less than what you're quoting for a B&M. 

When its just too cold or nasty to smoke outdoors or in my garage I'll head for our local Moose Lodge. I can have a libation with my stogie in a warm smoking lounge. Check 'em out.....  B)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Our local Elks lodge used to allow cigar smoking in the lounge, but a bunch of cigarette smoking women complained and now cigarettes are allows, but cigars are not.

Needless to say, I no longer have anything to do with the Elks.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd raise a little hell about that. I mean, smoking is smoking. Who in hell gave women the right to run an Elks lodge?  It's a men's lodge. The lady Elks are an auxiliary. 

Sounds like that lodge is run by a bunch of wusses...  >:)
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you leave them in your truck while you work?  The change in temp could cause off flavors if you brought them from a warm spot to a cold truck to smoke.  Especially in Maine
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Our local Elks lodge used to allow cigar smoking in the lounge, but a bunch of cigarette smoking women complained and now cigarettes are allows, but cigars are not.

Needless to say, I no longer have anything to do with the Elks.
    This double standard bothers me the most. I'd say "F**k you, this is tobacco too. Just happens to be much better than your shiitty tobacco."
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you leave them in your truck while you work?  The change in temp could cause off flavors if you brought them from a warm spot to a cold truck to smoke.  Especially in Maine
    I they are kept inside in a jar humidor while I work. Then I grab one right before I leave. 

I am am going to try that one again and see if it was a fluke 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I will say I have had a few experiences where I have sat down to have a smoke and I was interrupted and I tried to come back and it wasn't as enjoyable. Also when it's cold I have a hard time enjoying a cigar. My best smokes are when I can just relax and take my time and not have a real agenda. The lounge setting makes for the best experience for me. Unfortunately my b&m wants 700 for a yearly membership. I am fighting the urge to do monthly through winter just to have a place to get out of the cold.
    If you are interrupted and your cigar goes out it is best to purge it by blowing out all the stale smoke right after it goes out. If left in the cigar the stale smoke will affect the flavor not in a good way upon relighting.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never cared for the Oktoberfest myself. I found it to be bitter anyway. But it could be anything including what you may have eaten or drank that day. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had times when no matter how much your wanting a smoke it just don't taste good.