Home Non Cigar Related
Options

different bibles?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
So @90+_Irishman gets a bible, at least it says bible, in a hit.
@peter4jc and @TNBigfoot68 evidently recognize it as different?

So I have to ask, without getting into religious politics, I've read many different religious texts and never have come across that ESV version.
How is it different than any other King James version, new testament or old testament Bible?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic and apologize if it comes off that way.
I'm not religious from an overly christian view, but I do like to educate myself on religions and their beliefs to understand differences. I'm just not sure I understand how one version of the same book can be better than another.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The translation is a little easier to understand than the King James Version. I personally prefer the NASB version where Tara likes the NIV. It's just about the language and how it reads. The text is essentially the same. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESV is the "English Standard Version."  The difference in any translation is just how it is worded, with varying "interpretations" of the original language.  I use the word "interpretation" cautiously because different version largely read the same or very similar.  You will not find that a version "A"  states that murder is OK and a version "B" that says you should never kill, as an extreme example.  

Some may read a little more modern.  Different versions emphasize direct literal, word-for-word translations versus getting the same meaning across in a more modern, easy-to follow way.  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said, Gray.

Adding to the mix, study bibles like the one Brett received will have notes at the bottom of each page, attempting to give understanding to some of the passages, i.e. original language meaning and how the verses might be meaningful.  That of course is dependent on who is writing the notes and their background.  I use several study bibles, and some online helps to try and get a broader interpretation.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they stated well above. I use a NKJV (New King James Version) study Bible. You can see by the attached photo there are references to other passages in the Bible and additional text to help explain things. 

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's what you do with what you read that counts.
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the NLT (New Living Translation) and I also have my You Version Bible app set to that one as well.
    Another neat bible is the Chronilogical Bible. It arranges the books of the bible in Chronological order so it is like ready this history of the earth and mankind in order.
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said by all above, let me add this to what Gray said, the English Standard Version is just the latest, and best (in my opinion) in the American Standard line of translation starting with the 1901 American Standard, then the new American Standard, Revised, etc. The ESV appears to be the most accurate even in comparison with the KJV
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    ESV=English Standard Version, or as some call it, the Elect are Saved Version.
    And don't forget the Holman Christian Standard Bible, HCSB, or Hard-Core Southern Baptist version.

I like the latest version of the NLT for readability, and it's not a horrible translation.  ESV made some horrible decisions on their latest updates, but that's the way of it.  Those problems are in every translation.  I actually use ESV a lot, but it's something like 96% the original RSV.  So I wonder if in 20 years we'll get a NESV that's 96% like the NRSV?

Fortunately, I geek out over these things, but only to a point.  I can flub through a little of my BHS (Hebrew Bible), and my UBS 5th is getting some good use so I don't have to depend on any translation.

Still, I've been hoping that at some point someone will randomly gift me a first edition of the Cotton Patch Bible.  That, I would treasure.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.