Home Non Cigar Related

Same temp in winter as summer, but

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why is it that 67 degrees in the winter is much colder than 67 degrees in the summer?

We can have our house 67 degrees in the summer and we're in shorts.
But during the winter, if our house is 67 degrees, we're bundled up with sweatshirts and throw blankets.

How can the same temp be so different?

Ok, so my mind went off on it's own today and that popped into my head and I had no answer. LOL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    That will be my new quote. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just call it AP&C...     :#
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Relative Humidity: in the summer the air holds more moisture, which reduces the effectiveness of the skin's ability to shed heat through the evaporation of sweat. Therefore, the body temperature rises, and you feel warmer at 67 degrees.
      Winter air is less humid. Sweat, even in small particles, evaporates instantly, and the body cools more quickly at 67 degrees.

If you were to raise the humidity of your home with several humidifiers running at full throttle, you'd probably feel warmer.

• Heat radiation: Your windows, walls, furniture, etc will be colder in the winter. Even though the air has the same temperature it may feel colder because you're radiating away body heat to the cold objects in your home.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiant cold. Just like radiant heat backwards. In Summer, we like to set down in the TV room where a tile floor on a cement slab refreshes us. In Winter, that same slab makes us want to light up the fireplace, In Summer, the dog lays her belly on the tile floor. In Winter, she jumps up on the hassock or looks for a lap. In Summer, we roll up the shade where the cherry tree shades a garden window, and we slide back the louvers covering the sliding door to the porch.. In Winter, we close both.

Radiant cold is a real thing which I just now invented.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the angle of the dangle:

"The Earth's axis of rotation tilts about 23.5 degrees, relative to the plane of Earth's solar system orbit around the Sun. As the Earth orbits the Sun, this creates the 47-degree peak-to-peak solar altitude angle difference, and the hemisphere-specific difference between summer and winter."
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would've been a perfect reply, John, if you'd have fixed Eath in his quote... :smile:   But you still win the Reply of The Day award.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in Arizona they talk a lot about the summer heat thinning your blood is why a 50 degree day in the winter has you freezing. In Elko NV, an 85 degree day had them running for the air conditioner but when it hit -20 in the winter I understood. 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
     dirtdude said:
    Here in Arizona they talk a lot about the summer heat thinning your blood is why a 50 degree day in the winter has you freezing. In Elko NV, an 85 degree day had them running for the air conditioner but when it hit -20 in the winter I understood. 
    There's truth in that. My sister and neices came to visit DE from Riverside during Summer. Soon's the evening temp dipped below 85, they scrambled for their sweat shirts. (Daily thunderstorms had them terrified, BTW -- never saw that much rain.) In Winter, I ride motorcycle down into the single digits. I never put on more layers than will keep me chilled. The guys who pile on heated suits and heated gloves and such at 40 degrees will never make it into the 20s. But if you always stay chilled, then your body will quickly adjust with the season.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was like that when I lived up north, in November when it was 50 degrees, we were wearing coats and gloves.  In April at 50 degrees, we're wearing shorts and tee shirts.