Home Pipes

Ebonite stems

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any of you guys have experiences fixing these up?  I did an Oxy bath and rinsed them well. Hit them with a Magic Eraser and micro mesh. I use Decatur Haze Away, Shine Bright, No Ox stem oil, Tripoli and carnuba wax and they shine but are still discolored. Not sure where I'm going wrong. Do I need to hit them harder with the Magic eraser? Am I not buffing long enough? They shine but half is black and half is brown. 

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured it out. If any of you decide to do this. 
    Oxy bath. Some do over night but I do two heaping tablespoons of Oxy Clean in water for a couple hours. Rinse them off with water. 

Then an I use various pipe cleaners and Everclear down the stem to sanitize the inside. I also use Decatur Stem Fresh and do this until the pipe cleaners come out clean. Important to do this before you start polishing or you will have to polish again. 

This is is where I screwed up. So the Oxy will bring the oxidation to the surface. Some will turn white some will dry black some may turn green and some will be brown. Don't panic. Now I clean with a Magic Eraser. I was being too conservative. Get a bucket of Magic Erasers and use the heck out of them. Use them until no more brown comes off the stems. I was stopping to soon. This time around they were black when I was done using the Magic Eraser. You also want some micro mesh pads that you can use to sand of chatter or really stubborn oxidation. 

After that there are various ways to polish. Most people do Tripoli and Carnuba wax. You can do all sorts of stuff. I use Decatur products Haze Away and Shine Bright and I still use the Carnuba wax and then Decatur No Ox oil. 

Ive done this a few times in the past but these gave me some trouble. Have to say they look great.