Home Cigar 101

Smoking in cold weather

DrMundoDrMundo Posts: 24
edited February 2017 in Cigar 101
Currently my area now is 16 degrees, and my cigar kept tunneling I've already wasted my 3 cigars. even thought 2 bucks cheap sticks however still wasted. do you have any recommendation for this kinds of shitass whether in smoke? **** god. 

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pipe?  Sorry, couldn't resist.  I'm from California so I can't really help but we have a lot of cold weather BoTL that will probably chime in.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Hi Doc.
    Yeah. I'm in New England. The cold (extreme weather / humidity) can do a number on the smokes. Very frustrating. The fact that they're "Cheap Sticks" doesn't help either but, when it gets that cold they just don't usually perform all that well. See if you can find a nice Lounge for the Winter months. Thats what I do.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might just be that your gar is tunneling because, as you say, it's a cheap stick, not because of weather. A gar tunnels when the binder & wrapper does not burn so fast as the innards. Look for gars with thinner, more delicate texture... and pay the extra two three bucks... cause that's one thing that costs the cigar company money.

Or else go for a super cheap machine made cigar. I can turn you on to buck a pop American made machine rolled bound in broadleaf and wrapped with thin Connecticut and it will burn great. Only question is whether you like the American flavor. PM me your addy I'll shoot you some.

Where you smoking in this cold? Garage? Set your gar out on the toolbench for half an hour before you fire it up. Or uncap it, put it in the microwave for five ten secs, and then blow thru it. Dry the carcass out to match the dry air outside.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• OdinsonOdinson Posts: 9
    Yeah, if you're not allowed to smoke indoors, I can't think of any tips for smoking outside when it's this cold. I can't say it's been a huge problem for me, as I wouldn't want to be out in the cold that long anyways, not even to smoke a cigar. 

I'll repeat what was already said about a cigar lounge. I have a long commute and will often smoke a cigar on my way home. But I know some guys really hate smoking while driving.

The few times I've smoked outdoors in the cold, I've never noticed it affecting the cigar any. I've had cold weather make them dry and brittle, but that was cause I left them in the truck for hours or something. Taking a good cigar outdoors in the cold to smoke doesn't like instantly turn it to **** in my experience.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like smoking while driving, but I have made it a great ritual anytime I am by myself, it is still better than smoking in the cold. Looking forward to spring. I had come up with the idea of building a Tepee so I could build a fire outside. Since I am renting, I thought the landlord might not appreciate my Indian Heritage. So instead I am looking for a house to buy, and then to create a smoking area, either in building of some type, or something.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    When it's too cold and windy to smoke outside I'll take a ride by my house to a favorite spot to watch the ice fisherman freeze from my truck.
    Those ice fishermen are going to miss you once your room is finished.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful spot and go there often. Hopefully about a week and a half away from finishing the room. Taping it now.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    It's a beautiful spot and go there often. Hopefully about a week and a half away from finishing the room. Taping it now.
    Turn on the fans while taping, test run
    A little dirt never hurt
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

Yes!  I am your cold weather guru!

Just kidding...I live in Florida.  But, I might have a couple of answers for you.

But first, a question????  How fast are you smoking your cigar?

In my experience, tunneling comes from trying to smoke the cigar too fast.  If you're freezing your tail off, you might be in a hurry to finish the cigar faster.

If this is the case, I'd recommend buying yourself a nice pair of Walls Thermal Coveralls and some thermal socks.  You won't feel a thing.  I did live in Maryland for 4 years and bought a pair of these in the middle of a blizzard, then took an hour and half walk with a cigar in the snow.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tunneling is a construction issue. Best tip I can give is what someone else already said let it set out for at least 30 minutes to acclimate to the weather. And try not to smoke fast so you don't heat up the cigar causing it to split on you. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive always run into problems smoking in cold weather, now I simply avoid it and when its cold smoke in the garage. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most often beside the hearth with a fire blazing to draw smoke up the flue. What can I say? Old lady must love me.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Filled two propane tanks tonight. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )