Home Cigar 101

Humidor Help

MrSpacelyMrSpacely Posts: 8
Hello everyone,

I need some advice on my humidor.  I have a 50 count box with currently about 20 sticks inside.  I am using 3 Bovida 72's... but I as you can see the humidor is only at 47%.  What am I doing wrong?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi @MrSpacely and welcome to the forum. So many things can be going wrong. I would start with making a few changes and to see if those changes make a difference. I'm not familiar with the digital hydrometer you are using but did you do a salt water test on it to see how accurate it is before putting in your humidor? After you check that, put it in a zip lock bag with the Bovida packs and see where the humidity is. If its at 72% it might be the humidor (doesn't seal very well which is the case of most cheap humidors). You can also search the forum and you will get a ton of info on this subject :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Here's one method to ease you're problem. There are plenty of other ways but this this might be the easiest "fix" you'll find. Take your cigars out and bag them along with one of those bovedas in a ziplock. Find a seal-able plastic container large enough to hold your humidor inside it. A small cooler or a large rubbermaid container etc. Re-season your humidor inside the container using a sponge with distilled water and any extra bovedas you have. Then after you have the humidor re-seasoned and you put your cigars back in, keep the humidor inside the container full time. It ain't pretty, but it works. 

(Oh yeah,........ First, things first, make sure you're hygrometer is accurate before you go to any trouble fixing your humidor.)

P.S. Those 72% Bovedas are too humid in my opinion. They need to be changed to 65% or 69% when you get things running properly. 

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the same hygrometers he's using they are Western Caliber IV. They are insanely accurate even right out of the box, but still put the hygrometer in a small ziplock bag with one of those 72 Boveda to be sure. It should read 72-74RH. Iv'e found some of the 72 Boveda I have to get to 74-75RH but the 65's I also have stay around 64-66RH when testing them. As others already said re season your humidor.   
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree wholeheartedly with @Bob_Luken (2Bs) about the Bovedas, I use 69RH in all my humidors. As far as I am concerned the digital hydrometers are the only way to go. Thank you @90+_Irishman, who posted a photo years ago (it seems) of his set up.
    When I set up my Escalade I got an electronic hydrometer and it has stayed at 68.5RH since I installed it. I seasoned it and let it sit for 48 hrs and then added the hydrometer, again I let it sit for 48 hrs. There are no Bovedas. It is a big humidor and the  Cigar Oasis Excel only has to be filled with distilled water about every three months. I use this box for aging only.
    You will absolutely with out doubt I will bet on it soon be looking for a bigger humidor.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it sounds like your humidor needs seasoning. You certainly have enough bovidas for that humi. I use the same hygrometer myself and it's off by 3 percent so make sure you do a salt test.