Home Cigar 101

First time for mold...

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
Pulled out a box of Room 101 Darumas from my cooler and a half dozen were covered in mold, with some up in the foot on most of them.  No pics because I know it's not plume!  I isolated the remaining ones from the rest of the stash.

Dang it, I really liked these, too.  My question is, how much should I worry about the other sticks in the cooler, now?  Do I need to do anything beyond monitor them at this point?  Pulled out a box of AVO that was right next to it and they seem fine and all the loose ones I see seem fine.

I know there's a hundred threads on mold, but most of them with a quick search seemed to be on IDing it not what to do about it once it appears.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I isolate everything molded and throw them in a ziplock baggie with a Boveda and a note with the date etc. Pull them out every 2 weeks and wipe them down. Once i see no more mold I will leave them for another few months in the zip lock baggie for precautionary reasons. 

Trash the box and watch the cigars that were around it. As long as the mold was inside the box you should be fine. If you see any further mold then you will need to remove everything and sanitize your cooler again. Likely an isolated incident. 

Was this an unopened box? If so this is a good example of why you should inspect all boxes once they arrive. Vendors send moldy cigars at times esp. CC Tubos. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    No, an open box. I'd smoked several and then stashed it for a while.  Everything around it was in a box or bin and they all seem fine.  Didn't see anything on the AVOs in cello, the Oliva Vs not in cello, both in their boxes.  Didn't see anything on the loose sticks in a bin, some in cello some not. 

Everything was in the box. I like it too much to trash it, but it won't hold any more cigars. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should b fine then.

Just monitor the other smokes, wipe the moldy ones down and smoke them once there is no more mold. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunate but looks like a good excuse to smoke some Darumas
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found one of my old posts from oct 2014 in the Mold VS Plume thread. If it's mostly just the foot you can attempt to save them. 

This noob found some fuzzy white mold on half a box of naked sticks recently. Just the foot. Clipped them. About three quarters of an inch off the end. Inspected them closely with a magnifying glass and they looked ok inside where I had clipped them. And they are smoking wonderfully. I searched a few threads here On the forum the day it happened. Thanks to all the info available on our wonderful forum I was able to remain calm and carry on. Yay forum!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your humidity device, it could be coming from there.  If there is no issue with that then don't freak out.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.