Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee Grinder

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Looking to get my hands on a REASONABLY PRICED, reliable and functional coffee grinder. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks!
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter pointed me on the direction of the Baratza brand. Got it from Amazon and it's been awesome.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Baratza Virtuoso or Encore should do the job, it's a good company with great support and they sell spare parts at a reasonable price if you have any problems.  You can check their site for refurbished grinders if you're on a tight budget here;  https://www.baratza.com/product-category/refurb/

My folks like the Capresso Infinity grinder which is a burr grinder offered for less money that the Baratza products.  It does the job ok, and is much better than the Cuisinart grinders that are so common.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using a Lello Ariete burr grinder for a few years and am quite happy with it. They're shown on eBay for around $60. Parts are available at reasonable prices. I'd recommend it....  B)
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See what @peter4jc has in stock. The one we got from him works really well. It has been used every day for over a year and never a problem. Well, other then the beans my wife gets.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I did a bit of reading about grinder types and burr seems to be the way to go. I'll do some research and comparison shopping on these suggestions and see what would work best in my case. :)

input on hand grinding as opposed to electric?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your definition of 'reasonably priced'?

Lots of people try the manual grinder, very few stick with it.  It's great if you're camping or live where power outages are common.  But if you want to go manual to save money, stop being cheap and buy a Baratza Encore (which, if you dollar-cost average over the life of the grinder, you'll see is the most frugal option).
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    For me... I think the desire for a manual grinder is because I do my pour over coffee only on Sunday mornings when I have the time to make my coffee a ritual as opposed to a necessity. (I hope that makes sense lol) I am not opposed to an electric grinder but realistically I would only be grinding my own beans once a week.
    That makes sense.  If you're only grinding once every seven revolutions of the round earth, then it makes sense.

LOL.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  And somebody was going to, so I wanted it to be gentle.
    peter4jc said:
    That makes sense.  If you're only grinding once every seven revolutions of the round earth, then it makes sense.

LOL.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  And somebody was going to, so I wanted it to be gentle.

LOL! I wasn't too worried. :) im not a much as a coffee connoisseur as some here. :) 
    Like I said earlier. im not opposed to an electric grinder. I have plenty of access to pre-ground coffee lol so the need for grinding my own beans is not a priority. just a novelty. I looked at the Baratza Encore and it looks like a great device! all the other options mentioned are not out of the running as I haven't done any side by side comparisons yet. :)
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the encore and it is very nice.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this one about a month ago on Amazon. Reasonably priced and I've been using it daily. Haven't had ay issues.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Except that if you made a pot with that and then made a pot with the Encore you'd notice a difference. 
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a manual grinder I like but it costs more than the electric grinders were talking about here and likely outperforms them in grind quality. It's an Orphan Espresso Lido 2 grinder and has two bearings to keep the burrs in good alignment. The inexpensive hand grinders usually only have one bearing resulting in a mix of different grind sizes as the burrs wobbles around as you grind.   I use it at work and for travel. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )