Home Cigar 101

I need some help guys.

jdub4505jdub4505 Posts: 8
I was impatient with my new humidor and ended up having to season it 3 times. I used the wipe method and finally got it stabilized at 72. I charged the humidifier that came with the humidor and placed 3 75 boveda's in with it and it remained at 70. I recently got an order of 40 cigars... i took the 75 boveda's out and put 72's in with 2 gel cups as well and now my xicar is reading 68 and drops to 67 overnight and hasn't gone above 68 all day. Any suggestions as to how to get it to 70 and make it stay there? I have a chinese made partial glass top with glass on the front as well. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the seal is leaking or around the glass.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a problem here.  your humidor is cheap cardboard, with a veneer of wood but if its holding who cares.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jdub4505jdub4505 Posts: 8
    Deadman, i've read that i can seal the glass from the inside with marine aquarium caulk, is that true?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes that is true, but before you do that make sure your hygrometer is properly calibrated.  When I used to use them most of mine were one or more points off.  As I stated before though 68 is not low. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    I use a digital but I've never done a salt test or the test kit. The regular hygrometer is reading 69-70. 
    Test the hydrometer, then you can rule it out. 

I added the tape to help the seal. Rh did fluctuate for a few months, 67-71 but stay 68/69 now. 
    I gutted that puck also and put beads in it.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @deadman  How are those My Father Le Bejou's?  I hear they're OK.  And the Tabernacles?  They're good too?

;)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    @deadman  How are those My Father Le Bejou's?  I hear they're OK.  And the Tabernacles?  They're good too?

;)
    I got the Tabernacles to try, the Le Bejou is great. 
    I am working on getting the boss man to send me to Germany or UK so I can restock on good smokes.
    Thanks guys. It's holding at 68. 
    I live in FL by the way. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences....
    jdub4505 said:
    Thanks guys. It's holding at 68. 
    That's not bad 
    I bought some food grade DAP clear sealant and sealed the 3 pieces of glass in my humidor and it now holds between 71-72 all day.

jlmarta said:
    My condolences....
    Tell me about it.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't have used tape to make the seal tight.  I just wet the lip with distilled water to expand the wood and that's a good enough seal.  I might have to do this once i month but that just fine for me because i consider it regular maintenance.

How often do you open your humidor though?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me 68 is perfect