Home Cigar 101

Setting Up Humidor

Just got the feast sampler with the cigar.com humidor, round humidifier, and humidifier solution. I just want to make sure I set it up right the first time. So the process as I understand is as follows: wipe down inside of humidor with damp cloth and place a small bowl of distilled water inside for 12 hours, soak humidifier in distilled water for 30min, place humidifier in humidor and enjoy. Does this sound right? Also, is there a recommended location for the humidifier to be placed, (towards back, front, center, etc.)? And should I use the humidifier solution in the humidor or save it for the travel herf-a-dor?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Pretty good. I'd say 12 hours would be a minimum and a little longer would let the moisture soak into the wood better, creating a more stable environment and less likely to rob moisture out of your cigars (which wood will do if it's dry). The puck (foam?) doesn't need to soak for 30 minutes, just pour some water into it or let it soak for a minute and then face it down on a paper towel for 30 minutes so all the excess solution drips out. You don't want that thing dripping on your cigars! Hopefully you have a hygrometer to read the RH inside your humidor- you can search "salt test" on this forum to learn how to calibrate it, it's easy. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that no one has answered this yet. I have seasoned and used the same humi, so i'll try to save you some of my hassle.

Do NOT wipe the inside of the humi. This will blow up your humidity level and take forever to stabilize it. Just fill a shot glass with distilled water - don't even use your humidifier yet - and set it in the humi with lid closed for at least 3 days or more. Don't put any sticks in the humi while you're seasoning it.

Get a hygrometer so you know when it's stable. Wal-Mart sells one for $7 that works well.

I placed the humidifier on the lid right in the center. I could not keep my box stable with this humidifier though, so I bought some Heartfelt Beads and had no problems since. Might want to consider the same.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Good stuff. Thank you.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I would wait before I invested in beads. I used the humicare packs that came with my orders for almost a year before I bought a xikar jar humidifier from my B&M. Took about 1.5 years to make the switch to beads, which i did when I got a bigger humi. As long as you have a good hygro and are getting good readings there is really no benefit to beads.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    As Hays said above, Wal-Mart has a very very good hygrometer for about 7 dollars, I have 3 of them and they work just as well as the expensive ones. Personally I would not mess with the beads, especially if your new to maintaining a humidor. I would go with the Boveda Packs , visit their web - site and read about them. Come in several rh levels and are maintenance free an you can't mess up what your doing with them. Choose the rh level you wish to maintain and drop them in and forget them until its time to change them out, then just throw them away and drop in new ones, no beads rolling around or water or anything, they are the best IMHO. If you are interested in the Boveda Packs PM me and I'll let you know where you can get them a little cheaper than the Boveda Web Site .
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Boveda does work well, but you have to buy more every month or so when they die. The xikar jars are refillable and only 5 bucks at my B&M. No mess, just fill to the line once every 3 -6 months.
    nsezell:
    Boveda does work well, but you have to buy more every month or so when they die. The xikar jars are refillable and only 5 bucks at my B&M. No mess, just fill to the line once every 3 -6 months.

Understand your comment nsazell, the Boveda site says replace about every 8 weeks but I have found they work great for 12 weeks with no problems at least for me. That means I replace them 4 times a year and I'm OK with that .
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    gmill880:
    nsezell:

Understand your comment nsazell, the Boveda site says replace about every 8 weeks but I have found they work great for 12 weeks with no problems at least for me. That means I replace them 4 times a year and I'm OK with that .
    I have 2 of the $7 walmart hydrometers and I haven't had good luck with them at all. They are both WAY off on the reading and very inconsistent. I borrowed a calibrated and time proven digital from a buddy and they are all over the place and it is consistent. I'm using 65% beads by the way, they are pretty much fool proof.
  • OK, I have a question concerning a different humidor.

I am contemplating purchasing the Cigar.com counter top humidor not long after Christmas comes along. And this will be my very first humidor purchase.

Is the technique for setting it up similar?

(I know, it is rather large for a first humidor purchase. It's something I'm contemplating. The inexpensive cigar.com humidor is way too tiny for me, though, and I don't think I will have any problems keeping a decent stock in this one.)
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    kaworuchan:
    OK, I have a question concerning a different humidor. I am contemplating purchasing the Cigar.com counter top humidor not long after Christmas comes along. And this will be my very first humidor purchase. Is the technique for setting it up similar? (I know, it is rather large for a first humidor purchase. It's something I'm contemplating. The inexpensive cigar.com humidor is way too tiny for me, though, and I don't think I will have any problems keeping a decent stock in this one.)
    I've heard it said here before and am finding it to be very true, it's really better to go big in the first place. I am way out of space and have only been collecting for a few months. My next humi will have to be 300ct or bigger to do any justice. Till then I think I'm gonna do a coolidor budget style for now.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Can't find the seven dollar Wal-Mart hygrometer...What section at Wal-mart and what is it called?
    Hawk55:
    Can't find the seven dollar Wal-Mart hygrometer...What section at Wal-mart and what is it called?

They are in the dept where the thermomators(sp?) are ...
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    RE: WalMart hygrometer: Springfield Thermometer/Hygrometer for $6.49 (I think). Found in the section where you'll find Indoor/Outdoor thermometers.

RE: Cigar.com display humidor - PM me about that amigo before you buy.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨