Home General Discussion

Advise

WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
Long time no see. I know I haven't been active in a few years, but thought of you all when approached by a friend.

We still occasionally smoke but unfortunately life has gotten in the way in partaking more often. I recently had a friend that came into a certain box of cigars and when trying to tell him how to properly care for his cigars he had more questions than I had answers. I am posting pictures of the said cigars and would love all of your input on the proper way to store or age these certain cigars. I apologize if this has been answered often or if the etiquette around my question has changed.

Thank you in advance! 

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I store CCs with the NC. I do freeze them before they get mixed in.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be questing the authenticity of the cigars if that is a box of Sublimes.

Would like see more pics (inside the box, box code, clasp etc. , but I am gonna say those are fake. 

A few questions?

Price paid

Where did he buy them since these are every rare

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top of the box looks ok. Run the number on Habano's website, but that will just show that the box is legit at least. Need to see the bands and smokes too to make sure. 

Either way,I treat my Cubans the same as my non 
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the above, some close ups of the cigars would be cool. Hope you are doing well and say "hi" to TJ.
    edited July 2017
    The warranty seal is what throws up the red flag. Sublimes are one of the most faked LE's in the world. These cigars run upwards of 3000.00 + a box as well.

The added security feature with the hologram was added in 2009, then it was updated again in 2010. Some releases had the new seal over the old one. However Sublimes were released in 2004. The seal would have looked like this

The seal was usually on the outer box as well. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Here are the other 2 pictures I have. Good information on checking the code. From my understanding they came straight from the island. Thank you! 
    16 date says it all

Well those are fakes as suspected. Can't read the bar code, need to be Superman to see that but Sublimes would have a 2004 stamp. 

Get a better pic of the serial number. It may come with a name but it won't be 2004 Sublimes.

Also would like to see the bands and cigars too see how good of a fake job they did.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Well that's disheartening. They are sending better pics tonight. 
    No red serial number and 12 digit doesn't check out on the website.  Gotta love dishonesty. Thanks for all your help.
    That's why u always buy from a Habanos S.A. distributor or a reputable roller in one of the Hotel's. 

He likely bought these from a peddler. If the island you speak of was Cuba, he could have bought a full box EPI 2's or BBF's probably cheaper then what he paid for who knows what they are Sublimes. 

If it looks to good to be true it usually is. But when in Cuba seek out custom rolled cigars. Those are some of the best as well. 

Live and learn would the best advise to give your friend. 

If they were from Cuba then most likely they still have Cuban tobacco in them, so maybe not all is lost. I would suggest that he opens one up to see if it is long filler or short filler and make sure no tampon strings or other trash are in them. If they are only tobacco then I would smoke them unless they are so bad tasting they aren't worth it.

You will only find Sublimes at auction sites unless you know somebody willing to part with them. That person would not be on the street in Cuba selling them. Those cigars have been snatched up since day one. They are one of the L.E. Holy Grails. 

Post some more pics though always good to see how much better they are getting with fakes.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is disappointing to find out. I have to say that snagging anything with a 2004 EL band sounds impossibly good, but the box looks very nice... holo seal and all (although I guess the holo's are anachronistic with the 2004 band.) 

You'll just have to go in your friend's place next time!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    edited July 2017
    Show some pics of the sticks. I am curious about the bands and if the cigars are all uniformed which I doubt. This helps others spot fakes as well. 

It happens to the best of us. Unfortunately there are crooks everywhere even in the cigar business. They will lie to no end to make u believe they are real or that they are honest. Even on forums like this many take advantage of others. Tell him to do his homework next time and buy from reputable vendors. It may cost more in the end but you are almost and I say almost guaranteed authentic smokes. Even Opus's get faked. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for pics of the sticks!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one of the better box fakes I have seen though. So there is that........
  • KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    I would have fallen for those...
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only thing that would have caught my eye is that the band says 2004 and the stamp says 2016.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Sorry it took a little awhile to get the pics of the sticks. He supposedly took the box to a local cigar shop and the guy told him they are legit... now I'm confused haha.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locals will also tell you it's plume. Don't trust them.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. I know next to nothing about Cohiba, but those bands look like the brand new ones that just came out no more than a year ago.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    edited July 2017
    Those are not legit. Again seegar shops are not the so called experts they claim to be. I would scratch this shop off my buying list after that comment. 

I will point out where the issues are. 

The band. That is the newer band. 2004 Cohiba Sublimes did not have this band. Those are standard band G which first showed up on Pyramide Extras. They were phased in once Standard D bands were depleted.

Standard Band G 
    2012 on - initially for the Piramides Extra, with other cigars starting mid-2014 
    Embossed, with hologram strips top and bottom, as well as on the central logo.

The next issue is the cap. Many do not have a triple cap and Cohiba caps are never that crappy looking.

Next is the difference in sizes. Not uniformed and If you measured them I will bet they are all different. Sublimes should be 54 x 164 (6.5")

The bands may be legit from recent releases of cigars 2012 and on, but it is hard to tell in those pics. I will say a good fake job though since the bands seems dull in color and the emblem looks off to me. The holographic trademark Taino Indian head, embossed images and holographic gilded edges look dull. I will say those are a good fake as well. Again hard to tell from pics sometimes.

But I can assure you those cigars are not Cohiba Sublimes and are fake. Now if the cigar store is such an expert than he would know that they are worth anywhere from $2500 to $3000 and on up. So being the expert he is I think he would have no problem paying at least $1500 or more for them. 

This is what a Cohiba Sublime band should look like  (Standard D) 

Also compare the cap. That is a what a triple cap should look like. 

The wrapper is another dead give away IMO. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Your friend can wish all he wants but those are not real Cohiba Sublimes.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodney knows his Cuban ceeegars!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    edited July 2017
    I don't know everything about them but I have learned how to spot fakes. When I say I know everything then I am am the one who knows nothing.

Someone should try to sell them over at that one site some know. I wonder how bad that would go down lol.

Speaking of fakes I will be posting what Juan Valdez @peter4jc just bombed with me. He is a funny guy.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you kidding me?!?  I paid top dollar for those!!!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    I greatly appreciate the detailed information. I will definitely pass it along.