Home General Discussion

Antique humidor

PitbullgrinPitbullgrin Posts: 3
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Hi all, I have an antique humidor that I'm looking to see if I can get restored with cedar lining and a tight seal. I wanted to know if anyone here can point me in the right direction or have any info on this humidor?
Thanks in advance
Mike 

Comments

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one Gorgeous Humidor. I wish I had some information on how to restore it, but I don't. I just wanted to tell you I wish I could come across one like that.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....Looks like a JewL boX....
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally anything with ceramics you wouldn't want to line with ceder. Just test the seal, use marine sealer where necessary and treat it like a tuppordore.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • mpomariompomario Posts: 34 ✭✭
    What Wylaff said.  You would ruin it by lining it with cedar.  You could lay some cedar sheets in the bottom or use little dots of elmers glue to stick some cedar sheet to the sides.  Something that you could remove and peel away the dried glue.  Check the seal and use it as is.  It is a real nice piece.  Don't refinish it or anything like that.  How are the hinges?
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    So I'm zoomed in a bit, you definitely have some work to do in the corners if the seal isn't solid. I am not positive but you should be able to humidify it as is. It's just about whether or not it will hold it. And the seal is definitely the most important factor here.

The back corners look higher to me than the front, but that could be a hinges problem as @mpomario asked about. Could come down to just tightening down the hinges. But I agree, don't line it with Cedar. It's beautiful the way it is.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    As is,... that thing ain't gonna seal,... at all.  Take a look at the ceramic on the lid. It isn't as wide as the ceramic liner in the box. They left room for that little piece of hardware on the left side. Weird. It's a nice place to keep accessories or bands but that's all I'd be tryin' to do with it. 
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As is, won't seal. If you are willing to make mods to it, with some patience and a steady hand, it could work. If to make a humi, rip out the ceramic and put is SC. You will need to do work on the hinges and closure arm as well. the exterior looks fine as is.

as Bob said, use it for accessories if you don't want to alter it too much. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or use it as a tea box.....
  • PitbullgrinPitbullgrin Posts: 3
    I was thinking of removing the white enamel and replacing it all with SC.?
  • PitbullgrinPitbullgrin Posts: 3
    Not me of course 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    The only thing that's good for is storing your 5Vegas Golds.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    jd50ae said:

Aw man! That's low. Even herfdogs deserve better than that old drafty desktop. 
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    jd50ae said:

I'd put the 5 Vegas Golds in a full wall humidor, right at the front. Show it off. They are great examples of a PERFECT Connecticut Cigar. :tongue:
  • MoleRatMoleRat Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    I'd see if you can get it to work as is.  That's a beautiful box!  
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG. Gurkhas. Oh the agony knowing someone smokes them on purpose....

Yea. I know the feeling. We are being cigar shamed.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I don't see why it couldn't be done if you can get it out without destroying it. But I think you'd have to remove that side hinge.  It is a great looking piece. 
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pitbullgrin  That's a great looking box. I say go for it! and post pics when you are done. Good luck and have fun!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln