Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Graycliff 1666

JZJZ Posts: 827
I just smoked the PG (5.2 X 50). I was extremely disappointed in this one. The flavor profile was slightly medium and was consistent throughout the entire smoke. The big issues I had was the burn. I had to relight 6 or more times and there were some major burn issues. At one point there was a huge hole burn down the side that was the size of a dime and was started with about a millimeter of separation at the beginning. Ive never saw this happen before. The price point is way to high for the problems I encountered. I was fortunate to have received this by another ccom botl and dont have any more on hand!

Comments

• Options
    beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I give people I don't like these as gifts....
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Really? I only have one in the churchill size and have never had one. Might have to try it to see how it compares.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I have never smoked any other Greycliff except for the 1666. I think that this may be because the 1666 is a less than spectacular cigar and the rest of the Grecliff line is spectacularly priced.

Perhaps if CCOM offers other Greycliff sticks on a daily deal I would bite but I can't pay the prices they are asking currently.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jpclotfelter:
    Perhaps if CCOM offers other Greycliff sticks on a daily deal I would bite but I can't pay the prices they are asking currently.
    I wouldn't even bother in the event that scenario played out. Some people rave about Graycliff, I haven't had a good one yet...wait, I've had one good one, the cheapest one you can find, the CI Legends Purple label by Graycliff. Construction has been the biggest issue, I've had exactly three cigars from Graycliff that had a good draw and burned anywhere close to even, the rest have been disastrous. I figure why pay top dollar for a mediocre smoke when you can pick up a good smoke for a reasonable price? Well, to each their own, I'm sure Graycliff has people that like their cigars, otherwise they'd be out of the cigar business.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    jpclotfelter:
    I wouldn't even bother in the event that scenario played out. Some people rave about Graycliff, I haven't had a good one yet...wait, I've had one good one, the cheapest one you can find, the CI Legends Purple label by Graycliff. Construction has been the biggest issue, I've had exactly three cigars from Graycliff that had a good draw and burned anywhere close to even, the rest have been disastrous. I figure why pay top dollar for a mediocre smoke when you can pick up a good smoke for a reasonable price? Well, to each their own, I'm sure Graycliff has people that like their cigars, otherwise they'd be out of the cigar business.
    I am not much of a Graycliff fan either. The only one I have had and enjoyed was the 1666. I only like this stick in the PGX 6 X 50 vitola. The others I have tried were very unsatisfactory. I don't know why the difference, but the PGX tasted better to me then the others.
    I won't pay the price point that they ask for these sticks, but I will pick up a few when they are on sale.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Had one 1666 and wasn't impressed. After all the horrible reviews I've heard about Graycliffs, I'll smoke one if someone gives it to me. Otherwise, I'm not shelling out for one.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have had the 1666 and I didn't find them to be that bad but they weren't spectacular either. I've also had the Expresso and Double Expresso. Nothing to write home about. Definately overpriced and overrated. Just because you had some guy who is famous for making a particular brand and because the resort you own is 5 star doesn't mean that you can or should charge that much for mediocre cigars.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    The presidente size is quite good IMO, especially paired with morning coffee. I also have several of the chateau gran cru on hand as well. I've had some burn problems with the 1666, but with age they clear up. I've never had a burn problem with the gran cru and find a flavor profile that changes as I smoke them. And I don't think I payed any more than $5 a stick for any of them, I'm good at finding sales, lol.....
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Graycliff seems to the the Ghurka of the Bahamas...overpriced and horribly constructed.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Krieg:
    Graycliff seems to the the Ghurka of the Bahamas...overpriced and horribly constructed.

thats gonna leave a mark !!!
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Krieg:

While I don't like most Graycliff's I can't say as I can agree with Gurkha's having bad construction. Most Gurkha's I have enjoyed were constructed excellently. Even the ones I did not enjoy were well made. The overpriced thing is easy to agree with.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    Krieg:

While I don't like most Graycliff's I can't say as I can agree with Gurkha's having bad construction. Most Gurkha's I have enjoyed were constructed excellently. Even the ones I did not enjoy were well made. The overpriced thing is easy to agree with.
    I haven't had one ghurka that was constructed well. Oh well, not buying anymore so what the hell does it matter.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I've have a few of the 1666s in the Pirate size (Torpedo) and enjoyed them. Course, I didn't pay $16 a stick for them - more like $5 as part of a sampler as I remember. They are a decent maduro, but certainly not worth $16. I had the Double Espresso as part of the "Mystery Stick" game and loved it blind, so that's a good thing. If they go on a good sale I'll definitely pick up a few more.
  • Options
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    Krieg:

I haven't had one ghurka that was constructed well. Oh well, not buying anymore so what the hell does it matter.
    What has been the problem(s) with them Krieg? While I find with the shear number of offerings from Gurkha there are quite a number I don't like, and a similar number I do like, I have not had ANY poorly constructed ones. They always seem to burn well, just don't always please a guy's tastes. Which ones did you have problems with... maybe I can avoid buying those ones, LOL.

BTW PM sent.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    Krieg:

What has been the problem(s) with them Krieg? While I find with the shear number of offerings from Gurkha there are quite a number I don't like, and a similar number I do like, I have not had ANY poorly constructed ones. They always seem to burn well, just don't always please a guy's tastes. Which ones did you have problems with... maybe I can avoid buying those ones, LOL.

BTW PM sent.
    PM replied. Well, one cigar totally just fell apart on me (i think that was a titan and I made a good cut) and another one that had a spot that was hard as a rock in it and was unsmokeable. So I tried cutting the cigar past the hard spot and it was so bitter I could have been happy to drink a cup of lemon juice to get the taste out of my mouth, after that I just wrote them off and decided not to waste anymore of my money on them. Hell, I had segundos that were better quality than those Ghurks. I really think Ghurka has concentrared on putting out more types of cigars than worrying about quality.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    JZ:
    I just smoked the PG (5.2 X 50). I was extremely disappointed in this one. The flavor profile was slightly medium and was consistent throughout the entire smoke. The big issues I had was the burn. I had to relight 6 or more times and there were some major burn issues. At one point there was a huge hole burn down the side that was the size of a dime and was started with about a millimeter of separation at the beginning. Ive never saw this happen before. The price point is way to high for the problems I encountered. I was fortunate to have received this by another ccom botl and dont have any more on hand!
    Had one of these tonight myself and didn't care for it as well I had burn problems but not severe, just annoying....
  • Options
    jekowjekow Posts: 12

I'm a newb but I still would like to give my own 2 coppers.  Glad to see my opinion doesn't differ too much with everyone else...

1. Mine burned very uneven at one point...the inside was burning but the outer wrapper had gone out completely so I re-lit. 

2.  The taste was your average 'cigar' taste.  It wasn't unpleasant, just average, though at one point I was surprised to detect a leather scent...which was cool, but it didn't last long.

3.  The price point for the quality is WAY too high for this cigar, but I do like the label art. 

I will not be buying this again even if it is discounted, since I don't think it could be discounted enough to justify the purchase.  Now if it was 2 - $3 per stick, perhaps, but I'd rather spend my money on sampling other candidates for a good daily smoke.

I had gotten this with the COTM club.

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a number of the 1666, and have not had a single problem with any of them. I think the key is to let them rest for awhile. I have a 10 pack sampler that I got back in August. I'm going to pop them open this summer.