Home Cigar 101

Lacioderma tobacco worm

DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
ive herd you need to watch for these when aging your cigars how would one tell if they are in fact in your cigar? thank you.

Comments

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I'm sure others will chime in on this one. But what I have heard on here that some people do is to freeze the cigars when they first get them. They freeze them for 12-24 hours in a ziplock bag. The freeze does not harm them for this short period of time. Another way is to also keep your Rh and Temp down to ensure that they are not awaken during storage and aging. High RH/Temp like 80+/80+ will apparently bring them out. I would go with the freezing method since this is supposed to kill them. At least one person on here has done this immediatley upon finding them. He was able to save the 'gars. So it must work. Good Luck.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ah ... the dredded tobacco beetle.
    i dont really worry about them because most respectable cigar makers will fumigate the tobacco. however, if you are still worried, andy's advice is right. throw em in a deep freeze for a few days. should kill em.

you cant really tell they are there till its too late. youll see a round hole about the size of a pin head in a cigar.
    if you keep your RH below 72% you shouldnt have a problem with em.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Thank you both for your help it is much appreciated i am new to the cigar world i actually quit smoking ciggerettes and went to cigars for an occasional smoke  my first cigar was java by drew esate then i tried acid blondie the cohiba red dot my last two are acid nasty and a savinelli 1876 ELR  i will say i have enjoyed them all but if any of you have a suggestion of one i should try i would be mroe than glad to hear it! thank you.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    just try as many as you can. you are the only one that knows what you like.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    DiasFlak:
    Thank you both for your help it is much appreciated i am new to the cigar world i actually quit smoking ciggerettes and went to cigars for an occasional smoke  my first cigar was java by drew esate then i tried acid blondie the cohiba red dot my last two are acid nasty and a savinelli 1876 ELR  i will say i have enjoyed them all but if any of you have a suggestion of one i should try i would be mroe than glad to hear it! thank you.
    For as many people that post here you will get that many different answers. I favor cigars with an Ecuador wrapper. Edge, Rocky Patel 92, Bauza, Griffins, anything by Fuentes especially the Hemingway line, I also like CAO cigars like CX2 and MX2, Brazilla and CAO Black. 5 Vegas is a great cigar for a low price, Nubs, and 3 Singlos Gran Habana are new finds that I enjoy as well. That barely touches the surface of Cigars I like. The more you try the more you will find suit your personal tastes I don't know anyone commited to one label and I would never want to restrict myself since the variety and search for new and different blends and profiles is what I truely enjoy most. Get samplers buy singles from as many different brands as you can, read reviews and if they sound interesting invest a few bucks and an hour of time as check 'em out. Join the cigar of the month club, they come uip with some good cigars right here. There is not one perfect cigar for everyone.
    yeah so far i have yet to find a cigar i dont like except the cheapy gas station cigars but thank you for your insight i was looking at the cigar of the month club and it sounded like a great idea to try new cigars and save money!  ive herd of the gurkha for some time but my local shops dont carry them  im glad i found this website because i can actually order one now. now to decide which one!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    For as many people that post here you will get that many different answers. I favor cigars with an Ecuador wrapper. Edge, Rocky Patel 92, Bauza, Griffins, anything by Fuentes especially the Hemingway line, I also like CAO cigars like CX2 and MX2, Brazilla and CAO Black. 5 Vegas is a great cigar for a low price, Nubs, and 3 Singlos Gran Habana are new finds that I enjoy as well. That barely touches the surface of Cigars I like. The more you try the more you will find suit your personal tastes I don't know anyone commited to one label and I would never want to restrict myself since the variety and search for new and different blends and profiles is what I truely enjoy most. Get samplers buy singles from as many different brands as you can, read reviews and if they sound interesting invest a few bucks and an hour of time as check 'em out. Join the cigar of the month club, they come uip with some good cigars right here. There is not one perfect cigar for everyone.
    What kas said. For purposes of clarity, though, it should be noted that some of the cigars he lists do not have Ecuadoran wrappers. As for me, I find I prefer Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars, and Cameroon wrappers. But by "prefer" I only mean that those seem to be the cigars I most consistently like. There are many cigars I like very much that have none of those traits.
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    What kas said. For purposes of clarity, though, it should be noted that some of the cigars he lists do not have Ecuadoran wrappers. As for me, I find I prefer Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars, and Cameroon wrappers. But by "prefer" I only mean that those seem to be the cigars I most consistently like. There are many cigars I like very much that have none of those traits.
    Thanks you Mr. Urbino.. That is correct, the cigars I pick up most often do have a Ecuuador wrapper , all the ones I listed do not have that Wrapper. But the top four do as well as the Hemingway line. I enjoy a wide variety of cigars, and the destinct tastes characteristics of each.
    thanks for all of your insight everyone
    kaspera79:
    Thanks you Mr. Urbino.. That is correct, the cigars I pick up most often do have a Ecuuador wrapper , all the ones I listed do not have that Wrapper. But the top four do as well as the Hemingway line. I enjoy a wide variety of cigars, and the destinct tastes characteristics of each.
    The Hemingway has a Cameroon wrapper. Is it grown in Ecuador?
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    The Hemingway has a Cameroon wrapper. Is it grown in Ecuador?
    You are correct I must enjoy Camerron as well. See variety is the spice of life and cigar smokers.. I never really checked that until now, they sure are a mighty fine cigar though aren't they ? Now I have to buy some, just to make sure :}
    Maybe you should buy some for me, too. You know. For independent verification of your findings.
    urbino:
    Maybe you should buy some for me, too. You know. For independent verification of your findings.
    That might happen Urbi, all in the interest of improvement of cigar experiences.
    No, no. Don't get crazy, dude. Juuust kidding.
    Hey Urbi I was just reading that you have a celebrity laying in the local hospital there in Memphis .It looks like Morgan Freeman isn't going to be driving Miss Daisy anywhere for a while. Crashed his car in Mississippi and they brought him there.
    I heard he had a wreck. Didn't know he was here, but it makes sense. We are the big medical center in this region, which includes the little MS town where Freeman lives.

This talk of giving away cigars, btw, reminds me that last week I said I would send j0z3r a couple RP Vintage 92s, and dutyje some Nestor Reserve Maduros, and I completely forgot about it. Need to remedy that tomorrow.
    There should be some happy joes in the next few days. They are glad I somehow reminded you, I'm sure..
    Well, j0z3r bombed me with a couple Oliva Serie V lanceros as part of the ongoing pass. So when he said he hadn't tried the RP92, yet, sending him a couple just seemed the decent thing to do.
    urbino:
    Well, j0z3r bombed me with a couple Oliva Serie V lanceros as part of the ongoing pass. So when he said he hadn't tried the RP92, yet, sending him a couple just seemed the decent thing to do.
    Didn't you have a bad experience with a V not to long ago.. I am glad to see you are giving them another chance. My first shot at them was less than spectacular, but the second round was far more favorable . A little more rest did the trick for me.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had almost forgotten you said that urby. Like I say, I never expect anything in return, but I certainly won't reject a sampling of something I'd like to try. I do appreciate the thought as well, you're a good guy urby, I don't care what anyone says about you :D

kas: I insisted he give them another try after I had a very good experience with the lancero.
    j0z3r:
    I had almost forgotten you said that urby. Like I say, I never expect anything in return, but I certainly won't reject a sampling of something I'd like to try. I do appreciate the thought as well, you're a good guy urby, I don't care what anyone says about you :D
    I'll be sure and have my defense attorney contact you when my trial comes up.

I did have a bad experience with them, kas. What Joe said. And after my experience(s) with the RP Double Maduro lancero, I can't say no to a lancero.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Take your time, Urbs... I've got a full humi and tupperdor. Although I'm going to remedy that situation this afternoon with a couple of Click-N-Ships. Besides, I figured you'd remember once my package reached the lovely ladies at the office :)