Home General Discussion

Anyone Freeze their Cigars..

so i read somewhere that in order to get rid of beetles...you should put it in the fridge for 24 hours, freezer for 24 hours, back to fridge for 24 hours, then humi for 24 hours before you smoke it.... Anyone ever do this? Also, did it make ur cigar taste different?

Comments

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I have heard this as well but the other day someone said don't put your smokes in the fridge.... I told a guy to put his cigars in an unused drawer in his fridge while his humi was being seasoned. Thats what I did I had no problems..
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If you have tobacco beetles, the way to get rid of them is to put your cigars in the freezer for 24hrs and should be ok. This should kill the beetle's eggs and make your cigars smoke-able again once you put them back in your humi and let them rest for awhile. As for storing them in the freezer/fridge for longer than 24hrs, this is the easiest way to dry out your cigars.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    I have heard this as well but the other day someone said don't put your smokes in the fridge.... I told a guy to put his cigars in an unused drawer in his fridge while his humi was being seasoned. Thats what I did I had no problems..
    of course if you are putting your cigars in the fridge/freezer for ANY amount of time they should be in a ziploc bag. just throwing them in the fridge is bad news bears.

24 hours in a home freezer is a bit short. most home freezers are not cold enough. for a 24 hour stint you are looking to be at zero or below. the 24 hours in the fridge before and after are not needed. the thought behind it is that the quick freeze then thaw will cause the wrapper to split.
    I read an article where the guys at Padron will take cigars out from the freezer and light them up while still frozen with no problems. (wish i could find that link)

if you have access to an industrial/restaurant freezer you should be fine. most of those are kept at -10.

for home cigar freezing, go with 72 hours.

or if you are super brave, you can put your cigars in a microwave for a bit. this should kill those guys quick (not recommended)

i dont do any of those things. i just keep my house below 80 in the summer and my RH between 65 and 68.
    i also tend to buy cigars from companies that have already taken care of the beetle issue.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Depending on where you order from, freezing is necessary sometimes. If your ordering from over seas, definitely ziplock and put in the fridge for two days, then freeze for 48-72 hours, then back in the fridge for a day, then let rest in the humi for at least two weeks....... If your're ordering from Ccom, just take it out of the bag and smoke that bad boy!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    For a while, I was freezing all new cigars because I had two beetle outbreaks. Now, I usually just freeze ISOMs.

While I agree with Kuzi on the freezer issue I also disagree with the fridge part. After I take them out of the freezer, I put them in the fridge for 24hrs+ so that they come up to temp slower rather than sticking them in a humi that is 70 degrees or higher. I read that it is supposed to help reduce shock to the tobacco. It lets them come up to temp slower.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    yeah im ok leaving in the freezer longer then 24 hours...but I will put them back in the fridge for 24 hours anyways then in the humi for a few weeks before trying one...was just curious about the taste after wards or if it made the cigar taste different
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Also, anyone here use a Wine fridg for their cigars...not converted fride..but a actual working one...I saw the cigar humi fridge but its 1700 bucks...but a small normal wine fridge is 300 bucks for a good one, but the highest temp it gets it 68 degrees...which im ok with.. just getitng some input here