Home Cigar 101

my Butane lighter doesn't spark

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
So my torch lighter no longer sparks when I try to light it. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    So my torch lighter no longer sparks when I try to light it. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
    So your lighter hisses, but doesn't spark? From what I know, that's an ignition system malfunction. If you have a warranty on it, best to get it replaced.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Try to blow out the top of your tourch with some compressed air sometimes you will get something stuck in there. But most likely its shot.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Oh yaaa! jships post just made me think of something. Try turning your lighter upside down and pulling the ignition. There could be a particle blocking the spark to ignite the fuel.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

light a match, then light your torch with it.

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Okay, first thing I would do is check to make sure there is no blockage between the igniter and the side of the lighter, if thee is something in there the piezo electric won't get a good path for spark, and won't spark, if there is nothing in there I would take a jewellers screwdriver or a ball point pen and push down on the part sticking out that should spark (where the rod sticks out of) sometimes in usage that will slide out and not get good contact. You can usually fix these things by tinkering with it, its a pretty simple system, good luck
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    thanks guys, i will try cleaning it, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll try to adjust it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Ere the lamp of Krieg went out! LOL Hope you get it fixed bro.
    fla-gypsy:
    Ere the lamp of Krieg went out! LOL Hope you get it fixed bro.
    if I don't I'm gonna see Rocky in Nov...maybe he will do something....err...probably not

"Long ashes my friends."

Well, if it's not fixable, you have a warranty on it, right?
    not sure, it was a Xmas gift

"Long ashes my friends."

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Is it the one I traded you? If it is, tap each corner on a flat surface... it gets out of alignment sometimes... I got one after I traded you mine, cuz the one my fiance got me for xmas was crap unfortunately... the Ccom guy (andrew I think) told me to do that and it worked...
    no, it wasn't the one you traded me. That one has been working flawlessly. The one that has an issue is a RP single torch.

"Long ashes my friends."

RP single torch? It should have a lifetime warranty. Mine's an RP triple torch and it comes with one.
    Does his lighters come with lifetime warranties? I wasn't sure since it was a gift

"Long ashes my friends."

It should. I have a Rocky Patel Executive triple torch and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.
    who do you contact to get your warranty honored??

"Long ashes my friends."

All the warranty says is "contact your local rp retailer". So...maybe a B&M with rp lighters? That or contact their regional office.
    ok, thanks

"Long ashes my friends."

• Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Does it still click when you depress the trigger? if yes then the sparker should still be good. hold your find over the burner by the wire and depress the trigger it will give you a small shock just like a static shock nothign heart stopping. if you get a spark then it might be that the wire has lost its proper gap as its just like a spark plug have the wrong gap and you get poor ignition. Hope this helps call me if you need some extra specifics or anything.
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Does it still click when you depress the trigger? if yes then the sparker should still be good. hold your find over the burner by the wire and depress the trigger it will give you a small shock just like a static shock nothign heart stopping. if you get a spark then it might be that the wire has lost its proper gap as its just like a spark plug have the wrong gap and you get poor ignition. Hope this helps call me if you need some extra specifics or anything.
    Thanks Andrew, it does still click actually just like it always has...just stopped sparking for some reason. I haven't dropped it or anything, just don't know what happened...btw...my buddy's Xikar Trezo lighter also stopped working. This is after we both used our lighters on the 4th to light fireworks. I am thinking our lighters got clogged some how.

"Long ashes my friends."

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Krieg:
    This is after we both used our lighters on the 4th to light fireworks. I am thinking our lighters got clogged some how.
    Same thing happened to both of my lighters on the 4th. Their performance has degraded significantly, frequently not generating a spark. I blew them out with compressed air, and this helped very little. I'm thinking it's something from the sparks off the fuses. I guess I'll just have to buy some regular Bic lighters for next year's fireworks.
    dutyje:
    Krieg:
    This is after we both used our lighters on the 4th to light fireworks. I am thinking our lighters got clogged some how.
    Same thing happened to both of my lighters on the 4th. Their performance has degraded significantly, frequently not generating a spark. I blew them out with compressed air, and this helped very little. I'm thinking it's something from the sparks off the fuses. I guess I'll just have to buy some regular Bic lighters for next year's fireworks.
    yeah...lesson learned here too

"Long ashes my friends."

• I try to light my torch with a match but the flame won't catch. Is there a certain way you have to do it? I used different lighter and everything it works as long as my lighter stays on it but once I move lighter it stops. Why is DAT? It doesn't stay lit at all I put fluid in and everything. If you could help me out I would appreciate it alot
  • Wat if it doesn't click at all? I took it apart and DA Lil button you press its like dull it goes down to easy and doesn't get enough friction to spark. Is there easy way to fix it??
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What make of lighter is it?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unknown:
    I try to light my torch with a match but the flame won't catch. Is there a certain way you have to do it? I used different lighter and everything it works as long as my lighter stays on it but once I move lighter it stops. Why is DAT? It doesn't stay lit at all I put fluid in and everything. If you could help me out I would appreciate it alot
    Try the steps listed on this article:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7329795_butane-lighter-won_t-light.html

If that doesn't fix the problem then I'd suggest either contacting the manufacturer directly to see if they can repair it.
    Or contact the vendor you bought it from and see if they'd be able to exchange it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• I have found that this works best
  • JohnD03JohnD03 Posts: 1

So the problem is the ignitor spring.when you press down it starts a cycle to make the spark and the metal that goes into the notch is just going up and down I can push it in place after I take it apart but you only get one light so if anyone can find a fix to that and all our problems fixed because I don't think I'm having the same problem I don't get a click to make the spark any help is welced thanks.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of lighter @JohnD03 ? It sounds like a mechanical problem and would be specific you your particular type of lighter. And maybe somebody here may have experienced the same problem.