Home General Discussion

Why full body cigars

ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
Just wondering what people like about full cigars. I've only had mild/medium. I do have a couple MOW and MOW Ruination but am hesitant to try them. So back to the question what is it about the full cigars you like? Does full flavor go hand in hand with full body?

Comments

• gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    ScottTDawg:
    Just wondering what people like about full cigars. I've only had mild/medium. I do have a couple MOW and MOW Ruination but am hesitant to try them. So back to the question what is it about the full cigars you like? Does full flavor go hand in hand with full body?

IMO yes it does. They are usually richer, with stonger flavor. The smoke often times has different texture as well as in chewy and thick where a mild can be light and creamy. Many can be more complex as well.
    Dont be scared of the MOW its more med to me and awesome. The Ruiny is stronger.

For me its more about flavor and texture as I dont care much for a nic buzz though I dont get one from a full bodied any more. Usually the more you smoke your tastes change and lead to enjoying fuller sticks. Just work your way up. You may or may not like them. Lots of people stay with mild-med.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    ScottTDawg:
    IMO yes it does. They are usually richer, with stonger flavor. The smoke often times has different texture as well as in chewy and thick where a mild can be light and creamy. Many can be more complex as well. Dont be scared of the MOW its more med to me and awesome. The Ruiny is stronger. For me its more about flavor and texture as I dont care much for a nic buzz though I dont get one from a full bodied any more. Usually the more you smoke your tastes change and lead to enjoying fuller sticks. Just work your way up. You may or may not like them. Lots of people stay with mild-med.
    i respectfully disagree
    again, everyone has their own personal preference with cigars.
    there are many cigars that a full on flavor but wont make you feel beat up after you are done. The Avo Domaine has tons of flavor but is medium in body, and it is more complex than almost any full bodied cigar out there. Davidoff's Thousand series, Oliva Serie G maduro, 5 vegas Classic, Ashton Classic, CAO gold, Gran Habano Siglo #3, Cusano 18 all have mild to medium bodies but tons of flavor.
    Flavor and body do not go hand in hand at all.
    ... and complexity, that is a different animal all together. though i have found that many of the milder blends are very complex (but in very subtle ways) compared to the full bodied counterparts. I think this may be true because many blenders try to make a full bodied cigar (because full body is in style now) but dont know how to bring complexity to the table when doing so. again, this is why there are so fer master blenders.

people tend to get into cigars because they like flavors. full bodied cigars smack you in the face with flavor and this is what most are looking for. im guessing that this is why they are popular. a good mild or medium cigar will lead you down a path of enjoyment and subtle nuances that you cant find anywhere else. many people wont take the time to develop the palate to appreciate a mild smoke. many people are missing out

dont get me wrong, i love a full bodied cigar. LFD and Camacho are some of my favorite brands and they are both known for having powerhouse cigars. I just cant smoke them 100% of the time. waking up to catch the sunrise and lighting up a Diploma may get you off on the wrong foot. sometimes a full bodied cigar will just not do.

there is a cigar for every occasion, you just need to find it.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Post Script:

i actually started off liking full bodied cigars almost exclusively. only after a few years did i realize what i was missing out on.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I'm gunna have to agree with Kuzi. Though more often than not I find full bodied cigars to contain the flavors I'm looking for, but I have found some milds and mediums that I love as well.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I also would agree with Kuz, he makes a very good point in that being that there is a cigar for difference occasions. I usually prefer a nice light cigar in the morning just after breakfast, and then there is nothing like smoking a full bodied stick after a good dinner, such as an AB Tempus. He is also right by the cigar doesn't have to be full bodied stick to be flavorful. I usually prefer a RP Vintage 99 in the morning, its nice and creamy with a good buttery taste, and it's balanced very well. If fact, I just bought a box of them.
    I would just keep trying smokes of all different kinds, don't be afraid of fuller bodied sticks. After you build up experience, you will start to figure out what kind of cigar you want at what particular occasion.

"Long ashes my friends."

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'll smoke a mild/medium in the evening, but I enjoy full body cigars during the day while sweating and cutting out cabinets parts. I don't have the time to pay attention to all the subtle nuances of flavor of a mild stick, I want a slap in the face, kick in the pants and punch in the gut smoke during the day. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy every cigar I smoke, but when I have all my tools running, sweat pouring off me, and a cigar clenched in my teeth it's hard to think "is that toasy cedar or cedary toast I'm picking up in this smoke?"....
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Posts: 83
    I also agree with Kuzi, I find milder cigars to be more complex and subtle and fuller cigars to be straight forward and a little more one dimensional. Not to say that there aren't complex full cigars and one dimensional mild cigars but just generalizing a little. At the end of the day this is what makes cigars so exciting, you never know what you're walking into.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Timing has a lot to do with it. For instance, last night I started a MoW as I was prepping the grill. Combined with Ska's Nefarious Ten Pin Imperial Porter, it's a fantastic pairing. The smoke lasted through my steak dinner and I still had a good 20 min left after the meal.

A mild/medium smoke just isn't going to pair with a strong imperial porter and a steak or help settle the stomach as much after a big meal.

Having said that, I feel like the MoW, Diesel, etc. are really more medium-full smokes good for almost anytime. I have definitely learned to be more careful with something like a Joya de Nic Antano Dark Corojo which has some serious knock-you-on-your-ass power. I have to be in the right mood for that.

And I do still love the mild/medium smokes with more subtle flavors and a creamier texture. However, I've yet to find a great go-to mild/medium like I have with the stronger smokes. Any suggestions? I did enjoy the MoW Virtue. The first G2 I had was extraordinarly complex with a finish that seemed to transition 3-4 times per puff. The second one was just blah.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ndhaon91:
    And I do still love the mild/medium smokes with more subtle flavors and a creamier texture. However, I've yet to find a great go-to mild/medium like I have with the stronger smokes. Any suggestions?
    Some my favorite medium-bodied cigars: LFD Air Bender, LFD Cameroon Cabinet, DPG Series JJ, Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles, Camacho Select, NUB Connecticut... all of these have a ton of flavor, but never seem full bodied to me.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    +[insert number] for kuzi's observations. I found the Cabaiguan one of the most flavorful sticks I've smoke, but it was a solid mild-medium body. And like Krieg mentioned, there is nothing like a full-bodied stick after a big meal. I had a Jdn Dark Corojo after a huge dinner last night and it was the perfect digestif.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I like full bodied cigars because of the way they taste, and sometimes I am just in the mood for a punch. After a difficult day, or a big meal they just go great. I agree what's been said about timing. My suggestion is wait until you have an awful day. One of those days where damn near everything goes wrong. Then at the end of it, pull out that Ruination and smoke it. Slowly and on a full stomach of course. You'll either puke, or love it. Either way you'll have ended the day appropriately.
    Looks like I stand corrected lol, good posts in this thread. I was going to add that there are many full flavored milds but just got lazy in my post. Its a different kind of full flavored to me though, like everyone said subtle nuances as opposed to strong flavor. I too like mild and full bodied and everything in between.
    ndhaon91:
    Timing has a lot to do with it. For instance, last night I started a MoW as I was prepping the grill. Combined with Ska's Nefarious Ten Pin Imperial Porter, it's a fantastic pairing. The smoke lasted through my steak dinner and I still had a good 20 min left after the meal.

A mild/medium smoke just isn't going to pair with a strong imperial porter and a steak or help settle the stomach as much after a big meal.

Having said that, I feel like the MoW, Diesel, etc. are really more medium-full smokes good for almost anytime. I have definitely learned to be more careful with something like a Joya de Nic Antano Dark Corojo which has some serious knock-you-on-your-ass power. I have to be in the right mood for that.

And I do still love the mild/medium smokes with more subtle flavors and a creamier texture. However, I've yet to find a great go-to mild/medium like I have with the stronger smokes. Any suggestions? I did enjoy the MoW Virtue. The first G2 I had was extraordinarly complex with a finish that seemed to transition 3-4 times per puff. The second one was just blah.

A little off topic but that is an awesome porter. Have you tried their Modus Hoperandi? Maybe my favorite IPA.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    By definition body is the weight of smoke on the palet so a full body cigar has tons of heavy smoke and a mild body cigar has a lighter feel on the palet. It has nothing to do with flavor but often times full flavor cigars do have a more overwhelming flavor and mild cigar has more subtle flavor just not always
    jship079:
    By definition body is the weight of smoke on the palet so a full body cigar has tons of heavy smoke and a mild body cigar has a lighter feel on the palet. It has nothing to do with flavor but often times full flavor cigars do have a more overwhelming flavor and mild cigar has more subtle flavor just not always

Guess I wasnt totally off on my original post as I pointed out that full bodied smokes have a more chewy texture and milds more light and creamy. Appreciate the input.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    jship079:
    Body is also how the cigar affects your...well...body. Did it feel like you got punched in the gut? Then you probably smoked a full-body that had a high nic content.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    gaberox:
    ndhaon91:

A little off topic but that is an awesome porter. Have you tried their Modus Hoperandi? Maybe my favorite IPA.

No I haven't had their IPA. I'm quite partial to Stone Ruination IPA, but I'll have to give Ska's a try.

I live right near Dry Dock Brewing, which won small brewery of the year at last year's Great American Beer Festival. Last Friday their firkin was a bourbon barelled double IPA. Oh my heavens...
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Guys, thanks for all your insight. Gives me more to think about.
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Posts: 83
    ndhaon91:
    No I haven't had their IPA. I'm quite partial to Stone Ruination IPA, but I'll have to give Ska's a try. I live right near Dry Dock Brewing, which won small brewery of the year at last year's Great American Beer Festival. Last Friday their firkin was a bourbon barelled double IPA. Oh my heavens...
    Have you had the Stone Smoked Porter? One of my favorite bottled porters, if you haven't I highly recommend you try it with a heavy smoke, I just had a Padron 1926 maduro and that would pair perfectly with that porter, though that would lead to an expensive night!