Home Ratings & Reviews

Quesada Tributo Julio (Robusto)

Quesada Tributo Julio (Robusto) 5 X 50. Wrapper - The wrapper is a hybrid that is made of Habano 2000, Corojo, Habano Vuelta Arriba and Sumatra grown in Ecuador, Binder - Honduras (Jamastran region), Filler - Dominican and Nicaraguan ligeros. Full Bodied. Initial lighting is a blast of pepper, leather and wood which quickly settles down to smooth enjoyable flavors of sweet nougat, tangy leather, spice and wood. By the halfway point of this cigar, there is a kaleidoscope of complex flavors. The sweet nougat continues along with the tangy/citrus leather, spice, wood and now I began to get a nutty flavor as well. All balanced very well together and very smooth. The last third reveals more of the same flavors - nougat/caramel sweetness, tangy leather, spiciness, woody, nutty and now there is a cinnamon taste emerging. Very enjoyable and again super smooth. Long tasty finish of sweet, citrus leather and spice. Construction was perfect - a gorgeous, oily chocolate brown wrapper without any veins. Excellent burn - a dark gray ash that held on for two inches before falling off. Perfect draw with lots of billowy smoke. MSRP on this vitola is $6.50. This is an excellent cigar that delivers a full bodied, complexity of very enjoyable and well balanced flavors. The cigar never got hot or harsh. I smoked it right down to the nub when I had to stop before burning my fingers. What I like about what the Quesadas are doing, is that they are raising the bar and really thinking outside the box with different and unique wrappers on their cigars that offer the cigar smoker a variety of different flavors at affordable prices. I highly recommend trying.

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Wow, sounds excellent. I'm a huge fan of the different flavors you named off in this review. I've never heard of this cigar...

I know I've mentioned this before, but your reviews would be much easier to read if you add in "line breaks" into them to break up paragraphs. I know it's obnoxious, but this forum does not add in a break when you hit the "enter" button on your computer. You have to type in the HTML code and force it to do it. Go here to learn how, It will seriously take you five seconds to learn and all of us will be eternally greatful when you post your next review.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Here's what your review would look like after adding in line breaks:
    Scott1966:
    Quesada Tributo Julio (Robusto) 5 X 50
    The wrapper is a hybrid that is made of Habano 2000, Corojo, Habano Vuelta Arriba and Sumatra grown in Ecuador,
    Binder - Honduras (Jamastran region),
    Filler - Dominican and Nicaraguan ligeros. Full Bodied.

Initial lighting is a blast of pepper, leather and wood which quickly settles down to smooth enjoyable flavors of sweet nougat, tangy leather, spice and wood.

By the halfway point of this cigar, there is a kaleidoscope of complex flavors. The sweet nougat continues along with the tangy/citrus leather, spice, wood and now I began to get a nutty flavor as well. All balanced very well together and very smooth.

The last third reveals more of the same flavors - nougat/caramel sweetness, tangy leather, spiciness, woody, nutty and now there is a cinnamon taste emerging. Very enjoyable and again super smooth. Long tasty finish of sweet, citrus leather and spice.

Construction was perfect - a gorgeous, oily chocolate brown wrapper without any veins. Excellent burn - a dark gray ash that held on for two inches before falling off. Perfect draw with lots of billowy smoke. MSRP on this vitola is $6.50.

This is an excellent cigar that delivers a full bodied, complexity of very enjoyable and well balanced flavors. The cigar never got hot or harsh. I smoked it right down to the nub when I had to stop before burning my fingers. What I like about what the Quesadas are doing, is that they are raising the bar and really thinking outside the box with different and unique wrappers on their cigars that offer the cigar smoker a variety of different flavors at affordable prices. I highly recommend trying.
    Many times if people don't add in html formatting, their posts simply get ignored. Why? Because a massive wall of text is almost painful to read. That's just the way we have become used to reading.
  • Scott1966Scott1966 Posts: 40
    It's a new cigar being released and shipped now. Very complex cigar. MSRP is very good for what you get.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Hostos was nice enough to send me a few of these, so I'll light one or two up today to try it out.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Alright, went out and smoked the robusto today, excellent cigar. I really liked it, and it brought all four of those wrapper elements to the table, taste-wise. Very complex, nuanced smoke. Excellent construction and flavor, and for the price, pretty good deal. Also a great back story to it, big thanks to Hostos Quesada for sending me a few. Posted a review on the website, with pictures.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I just tried this cigar and was very very impressed as well. Only had the robusto size, but at this price point, I am looking at a box of these. Some slight uneven wrapper burn issues that I had to touch up here and there, but no harshness or plugs or tight/loose spots. Great cigar I would rate a 8.6 out of 10.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Indeed a great cigar. One of my favorites for sure. I smoked my first last week and have a box on the way.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Where can these be purchased? Not on the C.Com menu.
    edit
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    I will have them in a few weeks. It is one of those dumb non internet brands so it will only be available over the phone.
    Alex Svenson:
    laker1963:
    I will have them in a few weeks. It is one of those dumb non internet brands so it will only be available over the phone.
    Thank you Alex. Jeff can you hear your ears ringing already? :)
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    haha I was wondering why the beard wasn't returning my email on this subject. I won't give up though. They will be mine....oh yes,....the WILL be mine.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    The Quesada Tributo is one of my favorites. I prefer the robusto size, cuz I've had some draw issues with the Belicoso size.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I just smoked one of these last night (belicoso) and was a little underwhelmed by the whole experience. The draw was tight and I found myself cutting basically all of the tapered part off to get a decent amount of smoke out of it. The flavors are predominantly spice, dark coffee and cocoa...but they all blend together (muted) none stand out on its own over the others. I don't think it was bad by any means but it didn't hit me on all cylinders.