Home Ratings & Reviews

AF Curly Head

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Just browsing the cigar prices. Can anyone tell me about the Curly Head and why it's so much cheaper than other sizes in the same line. It's almost half the price of the smaller Petit Corona?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I remember hearing that the Curly Head is basically just a scrap cigar put together by the newer, less skilled rollers in the AF factories. It's just leftover scraps from the Hemingway, Don Carlos, Opus X, and the original lines.

Well...like I said. Just what I heard.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Fuentes budget end cigar..Short/Medium filler, inconsistant in a flavor profile due to nature of a short/Medium filler cigar. It's a little of anything, so no two are exactly the same. They seem very soft to the touch. And needed constant attention to keep them burning and straight. The profile seemed ( it's been a while) mild and rather bland of the ones I smoked.
    Maybe a cigar to pass around at a Bachelor party or poker game to guys who don't smoke cigars. I call these "chompers" you just kind of chew on them. But as a personal cigar, invest a few more buck and upgrade.
    Fuentes and others have a lot more to offer.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kaspera79:
    Fuentes budget end cigar..Short/Medium filler, inconsistant in a flavor profile due to nature of a short/Medium filler cigar. It's a little of anything, so no two are exactly the same. They seem very soft to the touch. And needed constant attention to keep them burning and straight. The profile seemed ( it's been a while) mild and rather bland of the ones I smoked.
    Maybe a cigar to pass around at a Bachelor party or poker game to guys who don't smoke cigars. I call these "chompers" you just kind of chew on them. But as a personal cigar, invest a few more buck and upgrade.
    Fuentes and others have a lot more to offer.
    This seemsa to sum them up pretty well. Due to budgetary reasons this was my first box purchase actually. The Maduro curly head deluxe, back about 7 years ago. I enjoyed them for what they were when I was just getting into the hobby a while back, but if I had the budget even back then I would have upgraded. Solid smoke though, and I'll never say anything bad about them, but there are better.

A good fuente thats long filler but still inexpensive are the original line with the cameroon wrapper in the cuban corona size. That size works pretty well for the blend in my opinion, and its a quick smoke. Also the sun grown, is fairly inexpensive and really good. I've had the cuban belicoso size in the sun grown and enjoyed it quite a bit.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Also the curly head is pretty much the ugliest cigar you'll ever see. I have encountered some serious Frankenstein wrappers on them before. For a budget minded Fuente, you really cannot beat the Sungrown Chateau Fuente (little rothschild, burns for just over an hour or so, spicy, fruit, nut, and leather flavors... really delicious)