Home Cigar 101

HERF-A-DOR

JARREDJARRED Posts: 1
I am rather new to the Cigar world, what is a herf-a-dor. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and I am wondering if I should purchase a HERF-A-DOR or a Humidor. What is the difference?

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say both, one for "home", one for travel.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a herf-a-dor is a travel humidor with a rugged exterior. they are pretty much BA if you are taking your cigars anywhere beyond the back yard. i now have 4 of them. (one 5 count, two 10 counts, and a 15 count.) i use the five count almost every day.
    the others i take on longer trips or if i think i will be running into cigar people where trades or sales may be going on.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Herfador, is this:
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-CIO3400
    or this
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-CIO3540.

Humidor is your typical wooden humi designed for home use. Difference is, you can drop kick a herfador, drown it, and do most whatever you want, and it'll keep your cigars safe and dry; it's a small case designed to stand up to abuse and keep the cigars safe. Downside is that it's smaller - a wooden humidor of almost any size will hold more cigars than a herfador; for that reason, herfadors are only really used on trips (you can get them from a 5-count to a 30-count, depending on your needs), while wooden humidors are used at home.

EDIT - Kuzi beat me to it
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a great addition to a cigar lovers equipment. Especially if you smoke away from home, or wherever you keep your humi
  • bipbip Posts: 483
    If you're in the stan, go for a herf. It'll hold up a lot better than a humidor. Plus it'll be easier for you to home without breaking it.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I have a "Cigar" herf-a-dor that I got with a sampler or something but I would recommend checking out the Pelican Case website: http://www.pelican-case.com/1120.html. I have something similar to this and it holds three times as many cigars as a herf-a-dor that is the same price. Odds are you'll even get a mil discount.
    ^ Never seen that before; is it possible to use the foam to create multiple foam layers, or do you have to stack the cigars on top of one another?
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Herfadors are great, I ran over my 5ct and it held strong. It's also air tight and water proof. Holds humidity fantastically, but you should use a lil boveda pack because it wont let it over humidify.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Jarred welcome, if your in the box. I suggest a 50 count herf o dor. Line the inside with spanish cedar and call it the day. You can buy these on line for little of nothing. And that's depending on your time there. If your just getting there, look up coolidor in the search and you be on your way. If your six months out. Go with herf o dor. Mines did wonders for me.

Photobucket
    xmacro:
    ^ Never seen that before; is it possible to use the foam to create multiple foam layers, or do you have to stack the cigars on top of one another?
    Yes and Yes, the foam is usually blocked so you can manipulate it anyway you want, or like I do, just take it out leave a little in the bottom and put your sticks in. Regardless where you put them, cigars are usually stacked on one another, at least one level high anyway. I throw in a boveda and life is good.

If you're in the military, ask your armory if they have the "plastic box" your PEQ2 / PEQ4 came in, it's just like a herf-a-door. Make sure clean out real good.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    OK, while the ^ suggestion will work, just an easier way, go to supply and ask them to get you a pelican case (depending on your pull with the supply guy this may be easy or impossible. Then go on amazon.com and order some Xikar 40 count herfador foam replacements. get a good digital hygrometer and some extra foam along with a bead puck and, viola! Here is mine, emptied for maintenance tonight. it is the sturdiest damn herfador you can get/make!
    50 count
    outside top of 50 Count
    inside of 50 count

Or.... You can opt for a larger storage option like the coolidor pictured below.
    Daily Humidor
    Make your own pucks!!!
    Copenhagen Puck
    Daily top
    DSWarmack:
    OK, while the ^ suggestion will work, just an easier way, go to supply and ask them to get you a pelican case (depending on your pull with the supply guy this may be easy or impossible. Then go on amazon.com and order some Xikar 40 count herfador foam replacements. get a good digital hygrometer and some extra foam along with a bead puck and, viola! Here is mine, emptied for maintenance tonight. it is the sturdiest damn herfador you can get/make!
    50 count
    outside top of 50 Count
    inside of 50 count
    Nice, when I was in the military they didn't even have pelican cases in supply. Free is always better, but if your supply doesn't have them the above link will point you in the right direction.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    DSWarmack has some good scoop! I just returned from Afg and thats how a few of us did it. Minus the coolidor. I used a humidor to keep the stock pile in and a hard case for a weeks worth of cigars. You can keep your cigars in good condition if you use the right stuff! The guys here have great advice!