Home General Discussion

I quit smoking...

Cigarettes. Been 10 days since I've had one. I quit so I could afford more cigars. You can buy a BOX of NICE cigars once a month for less than a pack-a-day smoking habit costs each month! (and I will remind my wife, who still is smokes, of that everytime I buy cigars. lol)

I am hoping it has positive side effects on my palate. I am also hoping that with there being MUCH less nicotine in my system (a pack of KOOL 100s a day's worth) that I will be more affected by the strength and body of my cigars. As of now, I get nothing from mild or medium bodied cigars, but I am hoping that without smoking cigs, I will become more sensitive to it, and start to appreciate the body of a cigar more.

we will see. Wish me luck.

Comments

• JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Cigarettes. Been 10 days since I've had one. I quit so I could afford more cigars. You can buy a BOX of NICE cigars once a month for less than a pack-a-day smoking habit costs each month! (and I will remind my wife, who still is smokes, of that everytime I buy cigars. lol)

I am hoping it has positive side effects on my palate. I am also hoping that with there being MUCH less nicotine in my system (a pack of KOOL 100s a day's worth) that I will be more affected by the strength and body of my cigars. As of now, I get nothing from mild or medium bodied cigars, but I am hoping that without smoking cigs, I will become more sensitive to it, and start to appreciate the body of a cigar more.

Congrats man. January 25th will be 2 years for me.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Way to go man!
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I started this for that very reason...cigars are more fulfilling than cigs, but...hard habit to break...proud of u...hope to be doing the same very soon after I get my mind set...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep up the good fight brother. I need to quit the snuff. Now that's a nasty habit, but I would imagine your sense of taste will dramatically improve
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Good job on 10 days. They say those are the hardest to get through. Good luck brother!
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    Normally I would say nobody likes a quitter, but in this case good job. Enjoy all those new cigars you'll be having.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    My dad smoked cigs for 40 years, and he quit when my 1st son was born. I know you can do it. And cigars will def start tasting better....and food!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Will be five years since I quit coming up this February. Best decision. Everything smells better and tastes better. AND, it's kind of nice not being short of breath everytime I do....well....anything. Good luck bro. You got this.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    e6specialk:
    Normally I would say nobody likes a quitter, but in this case good job. Enjoy all those new cigars you'll be having.

+1 Lol, congrats and good for you. I never had one but, I know that's a hard fight. You'll win it.....

• pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    good job man I quit about 7 months ago and I tried one the other day and it tasted like crap i did not enjoy it at all, it only took me 1 puff and i was like am glad I QUIT!!!!
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job brother. Hard habit to break...but one day at a time then cigs will just be a distant memory!! Heres to more cigars for you!!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Todd, that is a tough monster to get free from. 2 1/2 packs a day for 6 years was nasty to stop, been quit for over 6 months, so I know you can do it brother! We are all pulling for you man, you got this!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Thats great to hear Todd, best of luck!!
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:

Awesome BigT.....hang in there!!.........do yourself a favor and don't get drunk at a party or bar when hanging around a bunch of smokers.........that's when so many people fumble the ball!

Like pbchevo said, if you can make it several more months, cigs will seem NASTY, the smell, the taste, the THOUGHT of them will make you cringe............

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Right on Todd....you get past 21 days and you got it licked. I was 2-1/2 packs a day or 3 packs if I was drinking for 30 years. Put them down in 2005 and never looked back. With the cigars you will notice the urge to light up every 30 minutes or so goes away and if you happen to miss a day of cigars you don't panic about it.

• bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    Good job T. Keep it up and best wishes. My wife kicked them for 5 years.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Excellentamente! I quit 1 year ago. Mornings were the hardest. Now its' a bad memory.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Stick it to em Big T. Good Luck.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:

Alright Big T!! Did you say Kools??,,, Yea man gotta give those up... I smoked from 14 to 22 and then from 25 to 27. My sense of taste and smell were both enhanced after doing so. After 10 days its purely psychological,, I imagine your cigar smoking will increase but with winter at the door maybe not.. I wish you the best and try man!!! You CAN DO IT
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Congrats T, keep it up. I haven't fallen off the wagon and its been almost 12 yrs. Just keep telling myself..."well you've made it this far...lets see how far we can go!" and that was cold turkey! In short...you CAN do it!
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Thats outstanding!!! I gave up the cigarettes over a year ago. I'll never give up the stogies though. Stay focused! Maybe grab some cigarillos for those trying times. Congrats on your decision and good luck! You can do it man!!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Congrats!! As your palate develops, you may very well finding yourself drawn to mild and medium cigars when you can pick up on the subtle flavors. Whatever you choose, it's a positive step away from the abomination of tobacco known as cigars!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Congrats brother that's awesome!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Believe me when I say, from experience, you will have that conversation repeatedly.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Congrats!! As your palate develops, you may very well finding yourself drawn to mild and medium cigars when you can pick up on the subtle flavors. Whatever you choose, it's a positive step away from the abomination of tobacco known as cigars!
    Or cigarettes, if that's what you meant.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Smoked my last one a bit ago, not gonna buy anymore. Hopefully I can do as well as you Todd! Congrats and stick with it brother!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congrats to the both of you. I definitely think things will change taste wise for you. Let us know how it goes bro.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Thanks for all the well-wishes guys!! Still going strong!!
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Congrats to the both of you. I definitely think things will change taste wise for you. Let us know how it goes bro.
    Bought a pack like an hour later.... pregnant wife - smoking = Scott Peterson... I know thats wrong but it made me laugh.