Home Cigar 101

Cutter vs Punch

hoffpahoffpa Posts: 14
Which one is better, why and what one do you have?

Comments

• bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have both and i think they are both wonderful in the correct circumstances. I use my punch with cigars with such a large ring guage that I can't cut (some nubs etc) or when a cigar tends to have a looser draw. I cut in almost all other situations. I guess I prefer cutting, but the punch comes in handing quite often.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    If it has a rounded cap I punch it, anything else I cut. I have a ixar 07,08 and a xi3.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Punch for largest and cut everything else....cheapies on both...save money to spend on smokes
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I actually punch parejos in the smaller gauges, because I have a smaller punch. I lick the cap well to get it ready for the punch, and it's very reliable. I do the 4-leaf clover method for larger gauges. On mid-sized parejos, I'll start with a punch, and draw-test. If it's too firm, I'll either punch out a bit more, or switch to the cutter, depending on how much looser I need it to be. Even the large ring gauge parejos (like Nubs) can be crammed into the cheap guillotines, and you'll never get it on far enough to take off the cap :)
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I have a punch and a cutter. I've only ever used the punch a few times. Seems that when I punch I don't get a good draw.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I own a cutter, but my buddy has 2 punches on the bottom of his lighter that I use quite often. Getting to the point where I only use my cutter on torpedos and other tapered figurados and the punch for pretty much everything else. Though if the cigar is around 45ish ring gauge and lower, I usually cut it.

Edit: @brc Try offsetting the punches, one just to the right of center and one just to the left, gets you a bigger hole without having to get a bigger punch. The cut should look a little like an infinity symbol.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I do it a bit diffrently. I start off with a punch and draw test, if its not to my liking i cut. On small rings i notch and that works out really well because my notcher is uber-sharp. I like punching more than cutting (unless a torpedo or belicoso) because it doesnt damage the head as much....but i have a Xikar cutter on the way which may fix that. The experimentation continues....
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    I own a cutter, but my buddy has 2 punches on the bottom of his lighter that I use quite often. Getting to the point where I only use my cutter on torpedos and other tapered figurados and the punch for pretty much everything else. Though if the cigar is around 45ish ring gauge and lower, I usually cut it.

Edit: @brc Try offsetting the punches, one just to the right of center and one just to the left, gets you a bigger hole without having to get a bigger punch. The cut should look a little like an infinity symbol.
    ixar 08 baby...