Home Pipes

Smoke and old leather

mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
Recently I've been smoking the Sutliff PS Bacchanalia, which I enjoyed very much, and a few people were kind enough to post some suggestions of similar blends I might enjoy. I'm going to pick those up, but I want to add something totally different, something that shouts smoke and old leather; the quintessential late night study smoke. Suggestions? Thanks in advance, Mason

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes me think that Balkan Luxury is what you're looking for. Give it a try. First time I tried it I spent a couple days trying to remember where I'd smelled it before. It finally came to me, the market-place (Casbah) in Tetuan in northern Morocco. Smoke and leather and exotic spice.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Sounds promising. I think I'll add it to my cart. Thanks for the response. Mason
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Another great one to try is McClellands Frogmorton: Frog on the Town, or the Series 221-b Black Shag or Series 221-b Arcadia; the latter two are some exceptional 19th century English Blends that are quite pleasing. In general I think you are looking for a blend that uses a good blend of Latakia and Oriental tobaccos.
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Another great one to try is McClellands Frogmorton: Frog on the Town, or the Series 221-b Black Shag or Series 221-b Arcadia; the latter two are some exceptional 19th century English Blends that are quite pleasing. In general I think you are looking for a blend that uses a good blend of Latakia and Oriental tobaccos.
    I've been smoking some of that 221-b Black Shag, and like it a lot. I'm planning to try that Frogmorton before too much longer. Assuming it's similar?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I've been smoking some of that 221-b Black Shag, and like it a lot. I'm planning to try that Frogmorton before too much longer. Assuming it's similar?

• I'll have to look those over and compare everything as best I can, I guess. Wish I had enough to buy them all, but I'll take a stab at one and save the rest for later. The Frogmorton is on the list by virtue of being Tolkien based - I'm a giant Tolkien nerd. Thanks for the additional recommendations and the advice on tobacco types. Mason
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    The Frogmortons are different then the Series 221-B blends, but just as good. The Frog on the town is really nice, wonderful room note, and it has a touch of Basma in it to give a nice vanilla nuance in the back of ones palate. I am sure dear Bilbo would of enjoyed a pipe or two while watching over the South Farthing.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Mmmmm, love the Frog Mortons, though a few of them (can't recall which ATM) bother me when first lit; their casing is too sweet for my tastes, but after a few minutes it dies off and relaxes into a wonderful blend