Home Cigar 101

Wineador question!

insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
Hey guys, I have a little question. I'm about to build a wineador in the next month or so. I am pulling the trigger for sure this time! On to the question though... Say I am to buy the wine cooler and get it all cleaned out ect. I am going to put cedar shelves in. I know they are not 100% necessary, but I like they way they look. I also don't just want a bunch of random box's in there that aren't box purchases. So since I am not sure exactly how I am going to do the cedar shelves (I may buy them or I may buy the cedar and build them). I know either way I will probably do it in steps of months or more. If I build them I will not have time to build more than 1 or 2 a week. If I buy them I won't be able to afford more than 1 or 2 at a time (I like to have $ in the bank, and I don't really make a crap ton of it right now). So If get it seasoned with 1 or two shelves in there and then want to add a couple more down the road what would be the best way of going about it? I think that adding a giant piece of cedar would mess up the stability of the set up? I plan on doing at least 2 pounds of beads and an active humidifier set up. In a vineotemp t-28. I can't really think of any ways to season a piece of cedar of that size though! If I just stick it in there with active humidification will it eventually just season it's self without disrupting stuff too much? Maybe a shelf at a time till it gets stable. Clearly I don't want to add 5 square feet of cedar to something that is already seasoned. Thoughts? Suggestions? Oh and I have thought about just sitting on it till I have everything and doing it all at once. I don't really see that as an option. I am adding some stuff to my collection I want in a stable place with 6 months on them by a certain date!

P.S. this seems to have gone from a little question to a long drawn out wall of text question! haha... just kind of happens when I try to collect my racing thoughts on one little piece of paper or a computer screen! Enjoy the book!

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I went out and got a big Rubbermaid container and put a crap load of gel in it...I use it for empty box storage so I can just grab a box out fill it up and put it in. It works and if you jest add new boxes I leave them open and sitting at the bottom for a week. Works for me can't see why you wouldn't be able to put shelves in there either
    Money can't buy taste
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I understand what you're asking, I store boxes in a tupperdor basically a coolerdor, and have had to worry about this with the 2 boxes that are singles. I do the same as Lee. Either find a rubbermaid or something big enough to put the wooden shelf in, or a big plastic bag that you "think" is fairly air-tight. Then get some form of humidification and season it for a week or so. Even if you can only get it seasoned up to like 60 or something, it will lessen the effect when you enter the new drawer into your wineador.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Sweet thanks for the replies guys. That idea popped into my head on my way to work today. Not sure why I didn't think of that from the get go lol.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a 150 count humi that the naked gars go into and 4 stackable Coleman coolers. It seems to work fine with beads and Boveda packs. I'd love to have a different set-up but I'd rather spend the money on sticks.
    Bigshizza:
    I got a 150 count humi that the naked gars go into and 4 stackable Coleman coolers. It seems to work fine with beads and Boveda packs. I'd love to have a different set-up but I'd rather spend the money on sticks.
    Heh, I wish I could do that. My mind doesn't work that way sadly. I'm all or nothing. I'm sure it won't hinder my spending on sticks. I have something saweeet planned to go in it once it's finished. Will be my first major box purchase as well. I just like to have nice things!
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Sad face...here I am contemplating which bit of tupperware I'm going to buy...or if I just want ziploc bags for now. My 20 count just isn't going to cut it after playing on the sprint sale.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The only 20ct I know of that could hold some sticks was bandy's lol
    Money can't buy taste
    Martel:
    Sad face...here I am contemplating which bit of tupperware I'm going to buy...or if I just want ziploc bags for now. My 20 count just isn't going to cut it after playing on the sprint sale.
    The real sad face is the one I get when I look at my budget after making sure I can afford all this! haha.... No fun for me for a while after this one!