Home General Discussion

Padilla Series 68

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

About two months ago I ordered 10 of the Padilla Series 68 Robustos off the Daily Deal.  When they got here I passed them out ot my golf 4-some and we all despised them.  I think the general concensous was that they tasted like old moldy socks.  Has anyone else had this experience with this line of cigars?  Is it just a Daily Deal thing where the cigars are way over stocked and they've been sitting in a warehouse somewhere collecting mold?  Or do you think we just got a bad batch?  I'd hate to discredit a whole line of cigars based on once experience but the taste was just so revolting it's hard not to. 

Comments?

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I just got one of these in and its resing in my humi, so Im interested in some reviews.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The '68 is not my favorite Padilla, but I do like it. Haven't gotten that moldy sock taste you speak of. For the most part, I thought it was a solid cigar that is pretty well made, the flavor profile just wasn't right for me.

I don't know what could be responsible for your experience, for the most part this cigar is pretty well accepted. Try the Padilla Miami if you want a damn tasty cigar.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    The '68 is not my favorite Padilla, but I do like it. Haven't gotten that moldy sock taste you speak of. For the most part, I thought it was a solid cigar that is pretty well made, the flavor profile just wasn't right for me.

I don't know what could be responsible for your experience, for the most part this cigar is pretty well accepted. Try the Padilla Miami if you want a damn tasty cigar.
    I'm with Jozer on this one. It is not my favorite Padilla by any means. I can't say that it is in my smoke again soon category. My father loves them, but I'm not into the flavor profile. I think it is a little too earthy for my tastes. I'm also with Jozer on the Miami. Actually smoking a Miami Robusto right now. An awesome stick. Ranks up there with the Padilla Sig 32 in my book.

I would doubt that C.com would put out sticks that weren't up to their standards. I have a feeling you just found several friends that didn't care for the 68. I'm one of them.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    The 68 is one of my favorite cigars period. I have had a Camacho Select that tasted like vomit when none of the others did. Maybe you just got some from a bad batch.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Can't say I am a fan of the '68 either. I am a big fan of Padilla though. The '32 is one of my favorites, followed closely by the Miami. The '48 seems to have some of the '32 in it, but I would call it the '32 very light. The Obsidian has some draw problems, but the last third is pretty good. I am having a Habano at the moment, They have some snap when they are fresh, but give them a little rest and they are quite the bargain...

That's the extent of the Padilla line for me... Haven't tried the others..
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I too ordered 10 of them on the daily deal and placed them in my humidor on 5/5/09... I enjoyed one of them while fishing a while back and thought it was a great smoke. Could you be over-humidified??
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    So far I've had one of my five '68s and thought it was a nice, easy medium smoke. Good taste.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I have some 68's i got before the daily deal i i think they are great! Not my favorite padilla (miami) but still a good smoke. Wonder if you got a bad batch.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    IMHO the 68 is a very good cigar, but smokes more like an ISOM. You want the humidity to be around 62 or lower when smoking it. Many smokes will differ in flavor with the changes in humidity.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I agree with Vankleekkw. I have noticed that many cigars and in particular Padilla's and Oliva's taste and smoke way better when coming from a low humidity humidor.
    I am presently trying to maintain mine at around 62 or 63% and find I am enjoying some sticks taht I didn't fall in love with the first or second time around. The '68 is a great stick IMO.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Same here, I keep all mine between 61 and 65%. I really like the 68 and haven't had a bad one yet. Did you give them some rest time after receiving them before you handed them out?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I did an inventory of all my cigars last night and noticed I had one of the '68s. I had no idea I had it. I will probably smoke it this week and see if i like the cigar or not. I remember I got it through the ccom custom sampler and so it has been resting since Feb.

"Long ashes my friends."

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    I too ordered 10 of them on the daily deal and placed them in my humidor on 5/5/09... I enjoyed one of them while fishing a while back and thought it was a great smoke. Could you be over-humidified??
    No, because it is getting a bit better with humidification. We smoked 4 of them when they first got here and the other 6 have been in my humidor since then. I tried another a couple weeks ago to see if it helped and it was significantly better, but still had hints of nastiness in it.
    brsmith21:
    Same here, I keep all mine between 61 and 65%. I really like the 68 and haven't had a bad one yet. Did you give them some rest time after receiving them before you handed them out?
    No. Perhaps this is the case. How long of "rest time" should I give them?
    clearlysuspect:
    brsmith21:
    A couple of weeks for balancing out from the shipping. Then any extra time you can give them just makes them better and better.
    One of my biggest problems when I first started smoking was not having enough sticks on hand to allow them to properly rest / age prior to enjoying a particular stick.
    After several months i'll bet you wonder why you ever made a bad comment about these sticks. LOL
    Also what is your Humi RH sitiing at. These are one of those sticks (most Padilla's) which seem to taste better at a lower RH. When I changed my humi's from 67 -69 % RH to 62 - 63% RH I noticed that several sticks which were just OK before or that I didn't care for much at all, suddenly became WAY better after resting in the lower RH for a couple of months. What's your RH level?
    laker1963:
    clearlysuspect:
    brsmith21:
    A couple of weeks for balancing out from the shipping. Then any extra time you can give them just makes them better and better.
    One of my biggest problems when I first started smoking was not having enough sticks on hand to allow them to properly rest / age prior to enjoying a particular stick.
    After several months i'll bet you wonder why you ever made a bad comment about these sticks. LOL
    Also what is your Humi RH sitiing at. These are one of those sticks (most Padilla's) which seem to taste better at a lower RH. When I changed my humi's from 67 -69 % RH to 62 - 63% RH I noticed that several sticks which were just OK before or that I didn't care for much at all, suddenly became WAY better after resting in the lower RH for a couple of months. What's your RH level?
    It stays around 65-68%. I'm not really sure how to change that either.
    clearlysuspect:
    laker1963:
    clearlysuspect:
    brsmith21:
    It stays around 65-68%. I'm not really sure how to change that either.
    Well I don't know what you use for humidification, but you could try adjusting there, or moving the humi to a different location can effect the RH as well.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Dry box them for a day before smoking to let them dry up a bit.
    vankleekkw:
    That's a damn good idea. You could use an old cigar box or something similar and keep a hygrometer in it without any humidification. Then you could move your sticks to the dry box for however long your tastes prescribe and you could basically customize the RH of any stick to your personal preferrence.
    Way to go Van. I'm all over this one.
    laker1963:
    vankleekkw:
    That's a damn good idea. You could use an old cigar box or something similar and keep a hygrometer in it without any humidification. Then you could move your sticks to the dry box for however long your tastes prescribe and you could basically customize the RH of any stick to your personal preferrence.
    Way to go Van. I'm all over this one.
    That's an excellent idea. I think I'll try this one! Thanks a ton.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thats a keeper idea ...
    Well, I wish I could say with all assurity that dry boxing them was the soul component in this cigar tasting a million times better. I'm going to go ahead and say yes and assign much credit to vankleekkw. If any of you saw on another thread, I was having mold issues as well, so I also just finished cleaning my humidor, recharging the humidifiers, and adding a propylene glycol solution to prevent future mold. Either way, I now renounce my statement that the Padilla Series '68 taste like "old moldy socks." The cigar I am smoking now taste a million times better than what my golfing companions and I experienced previously. I think we just got some bad sticks. Hopefully, the remaining two that I have will be as enjoyable as this one.
    clearlysuspect:
    Well, I wish I could say with all assurity that dry boxing them was the soul component in this cigar tasting a million times better. I'm going to go ahead and say yes and assign much credit to vankleekkw. If any of you saw on another thread, I was having mold issues as well, so I also just finished cleaning my humidor, recharging the humidifiers, and adding a propylene glycol solution to prevent future mold. Either way, I now renounce my statement that the Padilla Series '68 taste like "old moldy socks." The cigar I am smoking now taste a million times better than what my golfing companions and I experienced previously. I think we just got some bad sticks. Hopefully, the remaining two that I have will be as enjoyable as this one.
    I did notice that when I let my cigars dry out a bit from the 72 -75 % I used to keep them at, then I found more then a few sticks I wasn't crazy about the first time around seemed to have improved. I now try to keep my humi's at around 62 - 65% and I like almost every stick I try now.
    That said I am a self confessed cigar ****.
    laker1963:
    You're in good company buddy. Monica, oh Monica...where are you?
    j0z3r:
    laker1963:
    Hey Monica and I are very tight buddy. Well her... not so much anymore :)
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    laker1963:
    Hey Monica and I are very tight buddy. Well her... not so much anymore :)
    Yeah, she's graduated on up to a 60 ring. HA!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Did you see that there is a special edition maduro perfecto 68?
    rwheelwright:
    Hey Wheelie, haven't seen you around here lately, welcome back. Where did you come across that info. on the Maduro 68's ? I can't find anything on C.Com about them.
    Have you tried them yourself?
    laker1963:
    rwheelwright:
    Hey Wheelie, haven't seen you around here lately, welcome back. Where did you come across that info. on the Maduro 68's ? I can't find anything on C.Com about them.
    I've been here. Maybe you are just ignoring me! :-) I haven't had them but I saw them in a brochure for another site. I'll try and find a link and PM you.
    laker1963:
    rwheelwright:
    I just looked, according to the site there are no more. Sorry man!