Home General Discussion

smoking in basement

My wife visited the b&m with me today for the first time while I was shopping for her grandfathers christmas gift (plus a few for myself as well), and she commented that she liked the smell of everyone smoking in there.  This led her to tell me that I should smoke in the basement because she wouldn't mind.  This was great news to me since I haven't smoked at all lately because it is quite cold in upstate NY. 

So my question is do any of you smoke in your basement and if so do you do anything to keep the smell out of the rest of the house or isn't it even an issue?  Any other tips on indoor smoking?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Sounds like a small piece of heaven....
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a basement, but a crawl space. It has a set of stairs, but it is only about 3 feet high and I would have to sit on the stairs which would defeat the purpose.

I made a man cave in my tool shed, but I also live in upstate NY and it has been too cold. There is no electric so I can't use a heater. My b&m was going to build a cigar lounge with the assistance of Montecristo, but nothing so far. I don't smoke in the house because my wife has asthma.

Is is Spring yet???
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    bobd:

My wife visited the b&m with me today for the first time while I was shopping for her grandfathers christmas gift (plus a few for myself as well), and she commented that she liked the smell of everyone smoking in there.  This led her to tell me that I should smoke in the basement because she wouldn't mind.  This was great news to me since I haven't smoked at all lately because it is quite cold in upstate NY. 

So my question is do any of you smoke in your basement and if so do you do anything to keep the smell out of the rest of the house or isn't it even an issue?  Any other tips on indoor smoking?

Lucky you...
    Since my furnace is in the basement it grabs return air from there and spreads it throughout the house.. No smoking in the house period.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    I don't have a basement, but a crawl space. It has a set of stairs, but it is only about 3 feet high and I would have to sit on the stairs which would defeat the purpose.

I made a man cave in my tool shed, but I also live in upstate NY and it has been too cold. There is no electric so I can't use a heater. My b&m was going to build a cigar lounge with the assistance of Montecristo, but nothing so far. I don't smoke in the house because my wife has asthma.

Is is Spring yet???
    You could heat that shed with a propane space heater and be stylin'. I'd love a shed but unfortunately I don't have one, or a garage, all I have is an umbrella.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bobd:

I actually have my man-cave in my basement ...pretty neat set-up. A finished room about 10 X 14 or so (never measured it) maybe a little bigger. Got a tv , a sofa, a recliner , loveseat all leather. A coffee table , 2 end tables and a small fridge and a wall unit for stereo. has two doors , one off the steps as you come downstairs and another that goes into the un-finished part of the basement. During the summer if I'm watching a ballgame or something on tv I just open the door going into the basement and lift the two windows (if i'm going to smoke more than one I will put a fan in the window to draw). I close the heat vents so it doesn't wafe back upstairs. In the winter time I just leave the door open that goes towards the steps and a workout/gym room and turn all the ceiling fans on so theres not a large concentration of smoke/odor one place and the vents are still closed. My wife who has a nose like a bloodhound says she can smell it for a couple days or so ( downstairs not upstairs) if I smoke more than one but then its gone. Sometimes I will crack a window a couple of inches in the winter just to help air out.
    Bottom line is cigar smoking is something I enjoy very much and is also a very relaxing time for me to rest and reflect and with the number of hours I work I need it ...I have no small kids to worry about and although my wife is alergic to cigarette smoke it doesn't bother her ( she has even to my amazement taken some puffs off our forum blends and enjoyed it !!!) So even if the cigar smell lingers some I'm working my a_ss off and as long as my babys allergies arn't bothered I'm smoking away . May even go down and watch a little football and burn one in a few more minutes !!!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have a catalytic heater and lawn chairs in the garage. I have a deck with a fire pit as well. if it's too cold or windy, i smoke in the garage with the catalytic heater cranked up and the garage door open. works pretty good
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I had one last night on my front porch...(Farmers Porch of my log cabin) it was about 18 F and I had on a warm hat and a good whisky glow...nothing better than a good stick in cold air, they taste so much better.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I was at a forum member's house Thursday (sandman1) smoking. He smokes in his living room since he's a bachelor. I was surprised when I walked in and didn't smell cigar stench. He sometimes smokes with the window open, burns a few candles and he does have an air filter thing. Ionic Breeze as I remember. Nothing serious, but it works well. Like I said - pretty amazed it didn't smell.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a space heater for my garage, seems to be working out nicely. I just wish I could go ahead and finish my basement where I can build my cigar lounge!

"Long ashes my friends."

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My buddy has his basement all finished and spends alot of time in it. We smoke cigars and hang out and it never smells like cigars when we are done. He burns one of those special smoking candles and has one of those ionic breeze deals or something similar. It is actually really small but seems to do the trick. Upstairs is just fine. No odors or anything even right when we get done smoking. I think if you take a few small steps it would help eliminate smoke odors.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    My buddy has his basement all finished and spends alot of time in it. We smoke cigars and hang out and it never smells like cigars when we are done. He burns one of those special smoking candles and has one of those ionic breeze deals or something similar. It is actually really small but seems to do the trick. Upstairs is just fine. No odors or anything even right when we get done smoking. I think if you take a few small steps it would help eliminate smoke odors.
    So thats all he uses? he doesn't have to have any kind of outdoor ventilation?

"Long ashes my friends."

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ventilation at all. His basement is good sized and his hvac is in a separate room. I am not sure what that device he uses is called but it is small and seems to work well. My wife doesn't smoke and neither does his wife and neither one of them can tell whether we have smoke or not.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I smoke in my living room. The worst of it is when the windows are closed because it is so cold. If it is not cold I will open my windows and patio door to allow for ventilation w/ a fans help. I burn a few candles before & after (ones made for smoking are a bit better but have some that I got at the dollar store and they work pretty good too), have an ionic breeze running all the time. I use an air sanitizer like ozium (SP) or lysol to help with the smell. I'm also very clean so that means cleaning the area around where I smoke to include vacuuming. The big thing that I think helps is to be sure to get rid of your ashes ASAP!!!! There are so many different things that you can do to combat the odor of smoke. I even saw a smokeless ash tray I thought about picking up. They look like they run about $15. They have a fan and a filter that suck in the smoke while the cigar is in the tray. I also smoke in my truck and leather is a big help in combating the old cigar smoke smell. Oh and if you have blankets out it helps to wash them regularly. Hope this helps out.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Living in Northern California I do not have a basement, I have a beautiful Fenced in Back Garden Area with some huge Willow Chairs, Nice Smoking Area, But then again I have the weather for Outdoor smoking, If the weather is Bad ill go in the Garage and Open the Door. My wife loves the Aroma of a good smoke so its not an issue but resale of the House in the future when we retire and move to the coast, smoke in the house will not help the resale... SMOKE SMELLS ! I dont care what kind of candels or Ionic Breeze machines you use. It also tints and staisn fabrics and painted walls. Its a FACT and that wont change . Happy Smoking!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Living in Northern California I do not have a basement, I have a beautiful Fenced in Back Garden Area with some huge Willow Chairs, Nice Smoking Area, But then again I have the weather for Outdoor smoking, If the weather is Bad ill go in the Garage and Open the Door. My wife loves the Aroma of a good smoke so its not an issue but resale of the House in the future when we retire and move to the coast, smoke in the house will not help the resale... SMOKE SMELLS ! I dont care what kind of candels or Ionic Breeze machines you use. It also tints and staisn fabrics and painted walls. Its a FACT and that wont change . Happy Smoking!
    Next big invention. Cigar smoke that doesn't tint your painted walls! Kinda like Velcro that doesn't make that noise when you pull it apart!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Red I don't have a garage and if I did it would probably still be too cold to smoke in it. The Temp was a toasty 6 degrees F the other day. I live alone so the "SMOKE SMELLS" don't bother me. I've lived here for about 8 years and the walls will need to be painted soon anyway, I need new carpet, and my furniture I bought when I got the house was slightly used. If I had a great house in a nice neighborhood or could even worry that my house might sell right now with the market here in Mich. I probably would be more concerned with your points. Now living in Ca. where everyone is paying way too much for a house I can see where you would want to make sure that you were worried about resale value so you could get your "dream home" when you retire to the coast. My friend I still have 16 years before I can retire and the "SMOKE SMELL" is not something I will worry about esp. in my line of work.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Next big invention. Cigar smoke that doesn't tint your painted walls! Kinda like Velcro that doesn't make that noise when you pull it apart!
    Garden State is one of my new favorite movies! I saw it recently for the first time and instantly fell back in love with Natalie Portman haha
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The train is off the track, But... That movie is a riot. When Braff is sitting in the Psych. office and the guide dog tries to make friends with him, Any suggestions ? Wow! I cannot believe your really not retardedd !