Home Non Cigar Related
Options

"Temporary patio"?

AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
Gentlemen: Im in need of a temporary patio. By that I mean I would like a patio in a particuar section of my yard, but I don't want to spend much money or time on the project b/c we have some construction planned in the next few years that would probably encrouch on my patio area. So, I don't want to spend a lot of time and money doing pavers just to have it ripped up to make room for a new septic, etc. So, I'm thinking somehting to get me through the next few years. Any suggestions? My first thought was just squaring off the area with landscaping timbers (I can actually get those old, railroad ties for free), removing some soil. adding gravel for drainage, then filling with crushed clamshell (which is abundant and inexpensive here on the coast). So... thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Tarp carport?
  • Options
    Well, I don't need to be covered. Just a place to chill, smoke, drink and eat with friends. But thanks for the suggestions, Xmarco.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Depends on how "temporary" temporary is, if you catch my meaning. You could probably go with sand instead of gravel for your base & leveling. And in this heat if you're not gonna go with some top cover, I hope you've got a nice shady yard! Good luck man, let us know how it turns out - and dont forget the pics! :-)

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably go with pea gravel. I've used that for little 'walkway' type areas (like the entrance to the crawlspace beneath the house), and I think my brother in law actually had a little patio made with pea gravel years ago - it was in a rental place so he didn't want to put much time/money into it but it suited his purposes just fine.
  • Options
    it's in a nice, shady part of the yard, and it gets a pretty good breeze. Maybe I'll throw somehting together this weekend.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have been thinking about this, For my $.02 I would buy 6 sheets of marine grade 3/4 inch plywood, and screw them on top of a base made out of the free railroad ties. you get a 12x16 foot patio. It would seem to me that if you put pea gravel/ shells, that every time you sat in a chair it would sink down.
    If you make a slightly raised patio and then either painted or stained the plywood, it should come out great. It's temporary, but is strong enough to withold a few years of use.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    They have what you need

http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/643674

interlocking rubber mats/tiles. Solid, drainable. Just give it a level surface
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I've done this many times, using bricks (left over from the 89 earthquake) or more recently, pavers, available almost anywhere, and cheap when on sale.
    I know you said you don't want to use "pavers" - but if you get big ones, it's not that expensive, and it's an easy job
    Check your local CL, sometimes you can pick up bricks/pavers for almost nothing.
    I have four such patios at my house currently.
    You could dig in your railroad ties a bit for your border, fill in with sand (or dirt for that matter) - then just lay down the bricks/pavers
    Advantages
    -Job is done quick
    -Chairs, tables, and your umbrella won't sink, or be uneven
    -Easy to keep clean and looking nice
    -Looks better, especially after a year, than gravel, or crushed shell, etc.
    -When it's time to break it up, you can re-use your pavers somewhere else, or give them to a friend, or sell them on CL for a minimal loss.

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    I've done this many times, using bricks (left over from the 89 earthquake) or more recently, pavers, available almost anywhere, and cheap when on sale.
    I know you said you don't want to use "pavers" - but if you get big ones, it's not that expensive, and it's an easy job
    Check your local CL, sometimes you can pick up bricks/pavers for almost nothing.
    I have four such patios at my house currently.
    You could dig in your railroad ties a bit for your border, fill in with sand (or dirt for that matter) - then just lay down the bricks/pavers
    Advantages
    -Job is done quick
    -Chairs, tables, and your umbrella won't sink, or be uneven
    -Easy to keep clean and looking nice
    -Looks better, especially after a year, than gravel, or crushed shell, etc.
    -When it's time to break it up, you can re-use your pavers somewhere else, or give them to a friend, or sell them on CL for a minimal loss.

+1. Use sand instead of dirt under the pavers if it rains much, better drainage. Since It's not permanent you won't need a compacter or do any precision grading. When the time comes pick them up and relocate.
  • Options
    Thanks for the food for thought! Maybe this is the way I'll go...
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    How about a Gazebo? They may not be overly cheap, but you could probably find one for a reasonable price, plus its movable and you can buy whatever level of expense you want. Just a thought. Search Yahoo images, if you don't know what a gazebo is. In PA we can usually get the Amish to build prett dirt cheap if you provide plans.