Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O’ War

I recently bought a box of the Man O’ War Puro Authentico. I loved how the box came with tobacco leaves inside. Great smoke and would highly recommend. However, I am curious if anyone else has tried the other brands of Man O' War puts out and what your take is on them. 2nd's, Ruination, and Virtue.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Bucking W:
    I recently bought a box of the Man O’ War Puro Authentico. I loved how the box came with tobacco leaves inside. Great smoke and would highly recommend. However, I am curious if anyone else has tried the other brands of Man O' War puts out and what your take is on them. 2nd's, Ruination, and Virtue.
    You're talking the the whole Choir here, W. We all love MOW.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Bucking W:
    I've had them all. The virtue is my least favorite, but I'm not a big mild cigar fan. If you like the Oliva Connie, you'll probably like the Virtue. I recently bought a box of the MOW coronas, and a box of the MOW PA. I prefer them to the Ruination, but that's a fine cigar, too.

That damned AJ is gonna put me in the poor house.
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    JDH:
    Bucking W:
    I've had them all. The virtue is my least favorite, but I'm not a big mild cigar fan. If you like the Oliva Connie, you'll probably like the Virtue. I recently bought a box of the MOW coronas, and a box of the MOW PA. I prefer them to the Ruination, but that's a fine cigar, too.

That damned AJ is gonna put me in the poor house.
    I liked the PA I burned them up pretty quick. I saw a pretty good deal on the Virtue but I'm not to keen on the mild sticks. Thanks for the info.
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    In a word ----- Armada...............
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    ok here goes,
    The MOW original is a really solid, great stick that you can smoke any time of the day. great flavor
    The MOW Ruination is a fantastic full bodied stick that ages really well. It's very robust and has some depth
    As you have found out, the MOW PA is great and this stick also has a ton of aging potential and I recommend giving them some rest to truly enjoy them
    I've only smoked one Armada and it was good. I enjoy the Ruination and PA more but my palate, for some reason, just thinks the Armada is okay.
    The Virtue, this was a miss for me. I've tried to like it but you can't please everyone.
    MOW SE Salomon, this is a good flavored stick and cool in theory but not as good as the Ruination
    I would love to try a MOW Maduro and haven't had the good fortune to do so yet.
    we are all AJ Fernandez fans here and really enjoy his body of work. other sticks you might like are all the La Herencia lines and all the San Lotano lines
    dennisking:
    ok here goes,
    The MOW original is a really solid, great stick that you can smoke any time of the day. great flavor
    The MOW Ruination is a fantastic full bodied stick that ages really well. It's very robust and has some depth
    As you have found out, the MOW PA is great and this stick also has a ton of aging potential and I recommend giving them some rest to truly enjoy them
    I've only smoked one Armada and it was good. I enjoy the Ruination and PA more but my palate, for some reason, just thinks the Armada is okay.
    The Virtue, this was a miss for me. I've tried to like it but you can't please everyone.
    MOW SE Salomon, this is a good flavored stick and cool in theory but not as good as the Ruination
    I would love to try a MOW Maduro and haven't had the good fortune to do so yet.
    we are all AJ Fernandez fans here and really enjoy his body of work. other sticks you might like are all the La Herencia lines and all the San Lotano lines
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up, except I prefer the MOW original to the Ruination.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    beatnic:
    Bucking W:
    Correction: We all love MOW except for this guy.
    I like the PA and the Armada but the original does not appeal to me at all. Just please don't send me to the gallows!
    scarlin:
    beatnic:
    Bucking W:
    I like the PA and the Armada but the original does not appeal to me at all. Just please don't send me to the gallows!
    Haven't had the Armada. What would you compare it to? No gallows for you. If we all had the same taste, there would only be one cigar, and wouldn't that be boring.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    scarlin:
    beatnic:
    Bucking W:
    You dont like MOW original? You better get your head checked...
    gaberox:
    scarlin:
    beatnic:
    Bucking W:
    I may have to revisit it soon.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    gaberox:
    scarlin:
    beatnic:
    Bucking W:
    I may have to revisit it soon.
    mmm...yeah
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've only had the original, Ruination and Virtue.

Virtue - love it (yep, there are some of us that love this stick. if you ever enjoy connies and/or milder sticks, give it a shot. some have described it as unbalanced. I think of it as a connie that exhibits some meaty, rich undertones that you wouldn't normally expect in a connie)

Ruination - love it (both ends of the spectrum I guess)

Original - like it, but not as much as the other 2

I have a PA in the humi that I'll probably bust out around new year's or so. I've heard great things
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Original - Awesome
    Ruination - Awesome
    Virtue - good? I've only had two....both Toros....one was really good (coffee, hints of chocolate, smooth, tastey)............one was not so good.....
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Here goes for me: MOW Original and Ruination immediately became staples in my humi. Both are absolutely great...Ruination with a bit more umph. I have not tried ANY of the other. I had a couple PA's sent to me w trades/bombs but a couple were damaged and others I gave away.
    Is the Original and SE Figurado the same blend?
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I enjoy them all. I literally smoke all of them regularly, and in multiple vitolas. While they are all great in their own right, the Armada corona is quite possibly one of the finest cigars ever made. Its easily in my top 5 all time... and I've smoked thousands of cigars. Its that good.
    BigT06:
    I enjoy them all. I literally smoke all of them regularly, and in multiple vitolas. While they are all great in their own right, the Armada corona is quite possibly one of the finest cigars ever made. Its easily in my top 5 all time... and I've smoked thousands of cigars. Its that good.
    Thanks T, I'll definitely take your word on it. You sent me some nice Cigars, you have a good palate for Cigars.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:

+1, I'd also add the 5 Vegas AAA
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Bucking W:
    BigT06:
    Thanks T, I'll definitely take your word on it. You sent me some nice Cigars, you have a good palate for Cigars.
    Just curious, where did you find an Armada corona?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Bucking W:
    BigT06:
    Just curious, where did you find an Armada corona?
    Contact your rep.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    scarlin:
    Is the Original and SE Figurado the same blend?
    Yeah, but the SE has the Ruination wrapper.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris, I'll set you up with a lil MOW sampler.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to try the Virtue with some type of coffee drink IMO. It's one of my favorite morning sticks.

Even though you say you're not big on milder sticks, if you get a chance to try one ... try it with coffee or espresso on a weekend morning.....or if you want to kick it up a little, get some Patron XO on the rocks to pair it with (this is my personal favorite for Saturday mornings).
    I'm all out of MOWs right now or else I'd offer to send you one...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

dbeckom:
    Chris, I'll set you up with a lil MOW sampler.
    Ok, I got your PM I'll put my addy on there for you and I'll get you what you asked for.
    jgibv:
    You have to try the Virtue with some type of coffee drink IMO. It's one of my favorite morning sticks.

Even though you say you're not big on milder sticks, if you get a chance to try one ... try it with coffee or espresso on a weekend morning.....or if you want to kick it up a little, get some Patron XO on the rocks to pair it with (this is my personal favorite for Saturday mornings).
    Like the idea, actually there are some good milds that I like with a good espresso. I tried to trade some off the other day, the Placencia Organica really good for a morning perk me up.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bucking W:
    jgibv:

Like the idea, actually there are some good milds that I like with a good espresso. I tried to trade some off the other day, the Placencia Organica really good for a morning perk me up.
    That Placencia Organica is a great stick. I bought a box of em last Dec and went through em pretty quick. I had my last one a couple months ago. I should've let em all rest that long...it was great!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    Bucking W:
    What are some of your other favorite milds to pair with espresso?
    I think RP Vintage 99 and San Miguel are pretty good morning smokes...and if you're into flavored, the Tabak Especial or Isla del Sol are good too.

I'd be interested in trying the Placencia Organica - are you still looking to trade them?

PM me your addy I'll send some out.
    Bucking W:
    PM me your addy I'll send some out.
    PM sent.

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    dennisking:

+1, I'd also add the 5 Vegas AAA
    agreed