Home Cigar 101

How long to rest?

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
When you get single sticks from a B&M, I assume they are ready to smoke, but when you receive an order from online or even sticks from a friend that just made a trip across the country, how long? Days, weeks, a month?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to rest at least a month.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's probably no accurate way to say what's best; it'd depend on how they were treated before shipment, and mistreated during shipment.  With CAS in full swing, my new stuff just gets put away and forgot about.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    ^^^^that could explain why your basement is filling up^^^^
    keep an eye on that sump pump
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ya' ask me,........Stuff from the B&M is ready to smoke immediately UNLESS you leave them in the car accidentally for any length of time and especially in hot conditions. In that case let them rest in your humidor for a while. Stuff you get in the mail/ups can undergo extreme temps. Best to rest. If it's hot conditions I would rest at least a month. 
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rest or no rest, they all cut the same
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my home rolled I let rest at least six weeks. The tobacco that I use is mostly aged a couple of years and sometimes more. When i get  a store bought cigar I let it rest also six weeks although I have been known to burn one straight out of the mailing box. All in all it is good to hold off smoking a newly bought cigar as aging takes the sharpness out and lets the leaves get to know each other and become friends. Cigars mellow and create a depth of flavor with age. 
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mainly by fivers. If it's new to me one will get smoked in the first week or two. The remaining sticks rest six weeks.

• edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Any cigar given or delivered to me I usually give them a minimum of two weeks but usually four before  i think about lighting it up.  
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on how long it took to get here and if it it was packaged with humidification. 

if i get a package that was shipped via priority mail and it was in transit for only 2 days....i'll smoke the cigars the day they arrive without giving it a second thought. 

but if the package was shipped, let's say from overseas, and took 2 weeks to get here....i'll try to let those rest for a week or 2 before lighting it up.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I rest everything online and from b and m. Most b and m are ether too humid or too dry. I went to a local shop just south of Denver the other day. They were sky high on their prices and their humidity was at 49 -52 in all their cases. That would have burned like a Roman candle if someone lit one of those. 
    Most of mine sit in the humidor for several months before I light them up. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my home rolled I let rest at least six weeks. The tobacco that I use is mostly aged a couple of years and sometimes more. When i get  a store bought cigar I let it rest also six weeks although I have been known to burn one straight out of the mailing box. All in all it is good to hold off smoking a newly bought cigar as aging takes the sharpness out and lets the leaves get to know each other and become friends. Cigars mellow and create a depth of flavor with age. 
    I agree. First and biggest threshold about six weeks. Next more subtle threshold about four, five months. I have a stash of 300 aging in wrapped boxes in the closet. I'll **** a box when it's six months old.

As for store bought, my closest B&M keeps them real good at all their locations; but there's a store near the office here which I call The Otter's Pocket cause everything in there is always as wet as....

Now and then I'll drop in the lounge about 3/4 mile away. I buy, I spark, right there and then. Never a prob. Likewise the lounge in Lancaster, where I stop when riding my murdercycle by. buy & spark. There's a lounge in Merryland ... a bit damp. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to let them rest at least 2 weeks. A month is better. But it's hard sometimes. I've lit many rott when it was something I really wanted to try. Usually just to be disappointed. It does make a huge difference. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone struggles with waiting to light up a new to you cigar, but waiting makes it a much better experience and worth it for the vast majority.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, after joining here post after post kept saying this tastes great after a x month long rest or y weeks long rest. And the really good ones, put them to sleep for a year or more. My thoughts were WTF!!! I just spent $$$ on what are supposed to be really good cigars and I cant smoke them?  Well I  happen to enjoy Perdomo products.  Wife purchased my first ever box from them.  As my collection grew into another humidor and now more than a few tupperdors, the ones from that very first box that I thought was so good, are not EXCELLENT. 

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Diver43 Which Perdomo's were you hoping would be excellent with some time on them?

I've got a lot of Perdomos, mostly all 2002 ESV, 12Yr. Aged Vintage all in Connecticut, sun grown and maduro. Have some others also. What I can tell you is the SG and Mads have improved with time. I haven't smoked the Connecticut's yet so can't  comment on those but man I love their SG wrapped sticks!        
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    My first were a box of Lot 23.  They get better and better the longer they rest.
    @Diver43 So to confirm they are getting better but have not met your expectations to be excellent?

If so I've come to my own personal conclusion that some blends just don't become what I expected with some age on them. I have never smoked a lot 23 so can't comment on that blend from Perdomo. I can tell you the 12 Yr. Aged Vintage SG Salomons still destroyed me with 2 years on them, half way through I was quite green :/ they still need some serious time to rest.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Oh NO, I liked the Lot 23s very much, after time I LOVE them. Lots of creamy white smoke, perfect draw. As they have aged the pepper went from strong to just a hint and touch of coffee.  Very easy to smoke while relaxing
    Awesome man, good to hear. As long as you're enjoying them thats all that matters B)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'll have to give the Lot 23 another try. About the only other one I've smoked damned near brought me to my knees. 

Next time i'll be sure it's well-rested.....  B)
    jlmarta said:
    I guess I'll have to give the Lot 23 another try. About the only other one I've smoked damned near brought me to my knees. 

Next time i'll be sure it's well-rested.....  B)

Well rested and if you can find some the Perdomo Patriarchs are most excellent also.  Heck I like most Perdomo products.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll look into the Patriarchs, @Diver43. Thanks for the suggestion. 
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Diver43 said:

Well, after joining here post after post kept saying this tastes great after a x month long rest or y weeks long rest. And the really good ones, put them to sleep for a year or more. My thoughts were WTF!!! I just spent $$$ on what are supposed to be really good cigars and I cant smoke them?  Well I  happen to enjoy Perdomo products.  Wife purchased my first ever box from them.  As my collection grew into another humidor and now more than a few tupperdors, the ones from that very first box that I thought was so good, are not EXCELLENT

I was the same way. I got ahead of my self and got a box of V Melanios. Waited two weeks and the first one wasn't great. Didn't touch another for 6 months and it was pretty good. They have two years now and great. I almost hate to smoke them because I don't have another aging in reserve.

• austins23austins23 Posts: 4

Stupid question, what are you guys referring to when you say "B and M"??  And my next question kind of falls in line with this post.  I received 20 cigars yesterday from here.  They were in transit for 12 days.  When I unwrapped them they seemed dry.  Some of the wrappers cracked at the lightest pinch. 

Reading some of the posts above, putting these bad boys in the humidor should take care of that problem?  Or once a cigar is dry, it's done?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Just bought a desk top humidor and haven't seasoned it yet so the cigars I just received are in the old, trusty humidor. 

• KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    Brick and mortar, as in a local shop you go in to
    When you say unwrapped them, do you mean packaging or removed cigars from cellophane? 
    I would put them in the humidor with some fresh Boveda packs and let them rest for atleast a few weeks. Longer if you can stand it

Next one that may catch you as it did me:  ROTT = Right Of The Truck