Home General Discussion

Spitting.....

Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
am I the only one that feels the need to spit when smoking? 
I smoke outside at home, so it's not much of an issue, but at a BnM or lounge it's a challenge.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not if I have something to drink.
    If I'm out in the yard or on a walk, yes.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I only feel like spitting out pieces of loose tobacco, tapping before lighting or using a punch helps prevent this. I've learned not to tap Cameroon wrapped cigars, causes the leaf to split. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always been that way while smoking anything.  When I used to smoke cigarettes a long time ago I couldn't stop spitting. 

Strangely, and I hadn't really thought about it until now, if I'm on the back porch I will spit.  If I'm in the garage I won't.  

I'll try to be more conscious of it next time and figure out why that is. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This used to be a constant for me.  Now it's rare.  I'm not sure why.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a spitter, especially if chewing on a cigar, don't like swallowing tobacco juice.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do it constantly. I used to chew so it carried over to cigars as well. Like Silvermouse said, I just don't like swallowing the tobacco spit. I always have a bottle or can nearby to spit in.

• Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    From what I read, I think the root is an unwillingness to swallow tobacco juice.
    it must stem from my fear after getting sick when I tried chew 40 years ago.

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very rare occasion that I don't have some sort of drink when smoking  (including cigs). Something in my head tells me I must have a beverage to sip on, and without it I can't enjoy the smoke.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm a spitter. Doesn't matter if I'm drinking or not, yes that includes water. Just seems like an excess of saliva builds up when I smoke. See no reason to swallow it.
    Even when walking the dog (without a drink) I don't feel the need to spit, just dry spit loose tobacco. Most cigars dry my mouth out. 

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just don't do it into the wind!
    Do do do do do do do do do do... do do do do do do...

Good Ole' Jim Croche, that's what I thought of when I read that too.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to when I first started, not so much anymore...
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do. For whatever reason my salivary glands go into over time when having a cigar. 
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do, and often it gets my synusis draining.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I salivate like crazy smoking a cigar. So I have to spit constantly. But at the pub with a beer I don't spit as much.
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stubble said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    Necro for @Stubble .... I don't spit ;)

You guys are on fire today!  :D

• jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I spit 24-7. I chew tobacco every moment I'm not eating or sleeping and spit constantly. Cigars make me spit in the last couple inches. I can hit a bug on the ground almost every time. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, not a spitter myself. Cigar or not
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no good answer to this.....So I will just say no. 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first stared smoking cigars seriously I was spitting a ton. Now hardly at all.