Home Cigar 101

How old were you when you tried your first cigar?

Invidious234Invidious234 Posts: 7
Were you a smoker prior to, or did you decide to just try one out?

I was 27 when I had my first cigar, and I've no clue what brand it was.
Tagged:

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legal drinking age, 23 I think. It was after attending the California Festival of Beers at The Graduate in San Luis Obispo and we went back to my friends apartment (the m00n, a den of debauchery) and I tried a Swisher Sweet. 

Prior to that, I'd smoked half a Marlboro after playing Tops (cig pack flipping game) and drinking beer at the m00n. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe 8 ... stole a Swisher from Dad... never tried another
    then at 31, bought one ... never smoked another
    Then at 64 ... haven't stopped since
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I was 10, and I had got caught smoking cigarettes by my dad.

He bought 2 huge dripping black evil smelling cigars, that looked to be a foot long each, and made me smoke the rest of the pack of cigarettes, as well as the 2 cigars.

I puked my shoe soles up.   :s
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30, my boss gave my a few to try. No idea what they where but probably came from c. crafters. Died off after that til 34 and haven't stopped since.
    I was 10, and I had got caught smoking cigarettes by my dad.

He bought 2 huge dripping black evil smelling cigars, that looked to be a foot long each, and made me smoke the rest of the pack of cigarettes, as well as the 2 cigars.

I puked my shoe soles up.   :s
     :D sorry that's funny. I remember my older brother gave me a cigarette when I was 5; got a little green. I can't imagine a pack and two cigars.
  • GrawlsGrawls Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Funny, I don't remember my first cigar. I remember my first cigarette,beer,joint.  The cigar that got me hooked was a Padron 2000 gifted to me from a customer 3 years ago
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stole a cigar from my uncle. It was about 1970-71.
    I was about 8 or 9.
    I got caught. My dad lit the cigar, put me in the closet and told me to smoke it.
    After a while, he opened the door and I was sitting there, puffing away on the cigar.
    I guess I wasn't supposed to like it.

About 17-18, I had my own place and we would play poker and smoke cigars on Wednesday nights. 

I would smoke cigars on the boat when we were crabbing in the Bering and around the Aleutian Islands. My step dad would smoke his pipe and I'd smoke my cigar on the way to deliver crab. Probably calmed my nerves. LOL!

In 1988, my first boy was born and the cigars started in for a little bit, second boy a few years later and another box of Fuentes.

In the mid 90s, I started to get serious with cigars.
    It was the cigar boom and a thousand different cigars were on the market.
    Regretted buying some of them. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably about 18 or 19, but then I smoked gas station cigars, White Owls, Garcia Vegas and those types.  It's only been the last ten years or so I been into hand made cigars.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stole a swisher sweet from my folks when I was 8. Hated it then, still hate them. 

Around 13 I started smoking Marlboro Red 100s. Never looked back. My grandfather would buy me packs every week for cutting the grass so I hade it made lol. They were $4.70 a pack back then, now they're $8.30 up here in PA.

Tried a Black 'N Mild wood tip around 16 and liked them, still smoke one on occasion. 

A friend of mine at the railroad smoked REAL cigars. He introduced me to them around 17. I'd mooch off him now and then, finally picking it up as a regular addiction when I was 23. I'll likely die with a stick of tobacco in my mouth.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Markwell said:
    Stole a swisher sweet from my folks when I was 8. Hated it then, still hate themshirt. 

Around 13 I started smoking Marlboro Red 100s. Never looked back. My grandfather would buy me packs every week for cutting the grass so I hade it made lol. They were $4.70 a pack back then, now they're $8.30 up here in PA.
    Copenhagen was 55 cents when I was 16 and cigarettes were 50 cents and I was pissed that the smokers paid less than I did for my chew. LOL!

In 1988 a box of Fuente "It's a boy" curly heads was around $25.
    The news stand owner sold me the box for $20, cause it was all I could afford at the time.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

Copenhagen was 55 cents when I was 16 and cigarettes were 50 cents and I was pissed that the smokers In 1988 a box of Fuente "It's a boy" curly heads was around $25. 
    The news stand owner sold me the box for $20, cause it was all I could afford at the time.
    Wow! Now us smokers pay more than you dippers. I usually load up while I'm down in VA because they're literally half the price down there. Haven't been down in a while, so I'm back to paying the ridiculous prices. Thank you, Liberal Governor Wolf.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Started regularly smoking cigarettes at 16, they were $2 for Marlboro reds after tax.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Between the Acts little cigars--13 y.o.
    moved on to Chesterfields at 16 when it was ok to smoke at boarding school, $.25/pack, $2.00/carton.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 50, must've been a mid-life crisis.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15, I think.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I've always gone for taste. At 20 I started with hookah (still smoke it as a few of you are aware.) But around 23 I tried a Tops hand rolled cig. Loved the taste. Started rolling from there and hit about 2-3 packs a day equivalence within a couple months. Just LOVED the taste. Got with the current GF 3 years ago and kinda weened off those a bit. But a few months before meeting her I bought a couple RP Edge. And turned green. Had to google how to smoke a cigar. Had a couple more, started trying the super cheaps and overall liked it. But 2 years ago, the GF got me the Humidor 5 Vegas combo and I fell in love. Been here since then and experienced more than I could have imagined thanks to you guys.

Probably won't ever stop either.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Smoked a lot of Swishers and other assorted and questionable stuff.

My first real and premium cigar was courtesy of Tony of Black Boar. Tony made a trip to switzerland twice a year and stocked up on Cubans. It was a light wrapper Romeo y Julieta Churchill. It was a vicious thing to do, I have been trying to find a cigar that good for over 25 years.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think i was 16 and it was a Swisher Sweet. The Swisher was the only cigar with a wood bit that i could clamp down on while running through the gears on my motorcycle. 
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15-16 Watermelon Philly and I thought it was the $hit :D
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    @jd50ae
    Isn't that when Swisher's had just started being made? ROFL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parodi 2 pack.
    I was 13 and thought that was what Clint Eastwood smoked.  :s
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swisher sweets were my first introduction at 15. At 18 I smoked my first real cigar and did it almost on a weekly basis. That lasted about 2 years before I went in the Air Force. Got to smoke many Hemingways during those 2 years and were a favorite. Also smoked an Opus X. Man I wish I still had some of those from back then. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Madman559Madman559 Posts: 5
    I think i was around eleven and the mini marts still kept the stogies up front of the counter my buddy swiped a five pack of king edwards we went behind the bleachers at the local football field with a swiped lighter lit up for about two minutes threw up for fifteen minutes lmao the good ol days was a two pack a say smoker recently switched to sticks full time 
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    13 years ago, was 32 years old. Long story short, was playing front and back 9's at Pebble Beach on a work retreat with our Executive VP. He had a gallon size zip lock bag loaded with all different size Cubans he had gotten at a big bawler Bay Area wedding. They had flown in a bunch of Cuban tobacco and a Cuban Master to sit and roll for the guests. Had NO IDEA what I was doing and smoked myself sick.
    Here I am 13 years later, new to cigars (maybe 15-20 cigars smoked recently) wishing I had those smokes for a do-over. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    13 years ago, was 32 years old. Long story short, was playing front and back 9's at Pebble Beach on a work retreat with our Executive VP. He had a gallon size zip lock bag loaded with all different size Cubans he had gotten at a big bawler Bay Area wedding. They had flown in a bunch of Cuban tobacco and a Cuban Master to sit and roll for the guests. Had NO IDEA what I was doing and smoked myself sick.
    Here I am 13 years later, new to cigars (maybe 15-20 cigars smoked recently) wishing I had those smokes for a do-over. 
    Best advice I can think to give a new smoker is to slow down when you are smoking. Assuming you keep it lit the slower you smoke the cooler the smoke and better flavors you get. When you ash your “goal” is for the cherry to be flat, not a cone and not a cave but just flat and burning evenly. Helps keep you from getting sick from smoking too fast too and keeps the stick from being hot and acrid. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in my early twenties, late 1980's, before a company golf outing. I went to Tinder Box at the local mall and asked for a recommendation. Bought four sticks at around $4 and one that was $8. I gave one to each of the guys in my foursome and smoked a couple myself. One of the guys retired a couple years ago, he always brought up that golf outing and the cigars. No recollection of what they were.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I was in my early twenties, late 1980's, before a company golf outing. I went to Tinder Box at the local mall and asked for a recommendation. Bought four sticks at around $4 and one that was $8. I gave one to each of the guys in my foursome and smoked a couple myself. One of the guys retired a couple years ago, he always brought up that golf outing and the cigars. No recollection of what they were.
    You been smoking this whole time? Because that wasn’t a newbie sampler you sent me.