Home Cigar 101

rum of whiskey soaking cigars

I have been going through the forum for a little wile now looking for anything on soaking your own cigars and have come up with nothing. Also as i look on the internet i have found no good articles on the matter. if any anyone has any advice on finding info on this topic or know how to do i would love to give it a try.

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Have no idea....but welcome to the forum.
  • that is what i am finding out and there are not many cigar shop up here is spokane. i will have to check the only one i know of.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    You can try leaving the cigars you want to infuse with a shot of whiskey in their own dedicated humidor. After a month the cigars would have absorbed the whiskey. Milder cigars tend to soak up the flavors more easily. Directly dipping the cigars will ruin it.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    You can try leaving the cigars you want to infuse with a shot of whiskey in their own dedicated humidor. After a month the cigars would have absorbed the whiskey. Milder cigars tend to soak up the flavors more easily. Directly dipping the cigars will ruin it.
    I would recommend taking a few cigars to test with, something not expensive and pouring a shot of whiskey and putting the cigars in a ziploc bag along with the shot glass for a few weeks. The cigars should infuse very nicely. I might also add a water pillow in there if the RH isn't high enough.

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of dipping cigars, not soaking them. I assume you lightly dip the end you put in your mouth into your glass of whiskey occasionally as you smoke. This will most certainly ruin any flavors the cigar has to offer on its own merit so it is something you do with lower quality smokes. Take an affordable cigar and just go for it, and then re-post to let us know how it went and what it was like.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i've dipped my cigar in while smoking. it add something to a cigar that has a lot of spice to it. i woudn't recommend it on a mild cigar.
  • FubarFubar Posts: 33
    I am like some people, I have heard of it but I have never seen anyone do it.
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I've actually been to a shop where they roll their own cigars. I stuck around and watched them roll a few sticks and actually saw them spray the cigars with rum.

They had the rum in a spray bottle and just misted the cigars with the rum. Like some guys have mentioned, try it on a few cheapos and see how it turns out.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    bass8844:
    I've actually been to a shop where they roll their own cigars. I stuck around and watched them roll a few sticks and actually saw them spray the cigars with rum.

They had the rum in a spray bottle and just misted the cigars with the rum. Like some guys have mentioned, try it on a few cheapos and see how it turns out.
    Sounds interesting...... might try that with some Irish whiskey.
  • 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Skuzzle, I think there is a shop out in Post Falls... and one in the mall, I believe a Tinder Box?.... and I think they have some local rollers doing this. They have their own little roughshod smokes blended with rum. I can ask my brother in law about this, don't live there but near Lake Chelan. He likes them, but i don't might be worth a shot.
  • thanks for all of the good ideas i have found an old empty cigar box i will have to put some sticks in there with a shot and let you know how it turns out. also i will be checking on that shop in post falls next time i am over there. thanks everyone for the advice.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I only know of one person with experience in "dipping" cigars. You should give him a call for some tips - name is Bill Clinton.

sorry, couldn't resist!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend does this and he uses a jar to do it. Actually the jar was specifically designed for this purpose.
  • do you know where he got this jar or what the name of it is?
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he got it from a local B&M. Basically it is like a pipe tobacco jar with a plastic disk in it. They also make humidor jars. You take the jar and place a shot glass of whatever you want in the middle and put the cigars around the shot glass. Or you place the alcohol in the bottom of the jar and insert a plastic disk with holes cut in it for ventilation into the jar so it sits above the alcohol. Basically the cigars sit on top of this disk and out of the alcohol. No other humidification device is needed. Takes a couple weeks. If the alcohol disappears refill it.

Do not do this in your regular humidor!!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Not sure this is the "flavor" he is lookiing for...or aroma...LOL
  • hawk if you have any other ideas then go for it. i am just trying to infuse some more flavor into some cheap cigars i got from a co-worker.
  • alright it has almost been 2 weeks and i put about 15 sticks in with a shot glass of Kahlua and have not had to refill it yet. they are beginning to take on the smell of the Kahlua also. i will be trying one soon to see what happened.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have tried this with a few different methods and a few different infusions. I've used vanilla tobacco and coffee beans and found that the resting smoke smelled very sweet and took on the scent, while the smoke itself didn't change much in terms of taste. I.E. it's not gonna taste like a dipped or flavored cigar, just slightly different than if you just stuck it in your humi on its own. I've also done this with rum and cognac.

Overall, my advice: Let them sit as LONG as possible. A week or two won't do anything. Shoot for at least 2 months. Also, use a tupperware container as cigar boxes tend to leak humidity and you've got a good chance of them drying out. I used a small piece of a sponge that I cut off and soaked in the alcohol of choice. Keep a close eye on humidity and check on the cigars often to make sure they're not too spongy. I also found that a good hearty maduro wrapper tends to soak up more flavor than a connecticut wrapper. Good luck!
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I enjoy a scotch dip while smoking, very enjoyable. I've done the shotglass trick also very nice the smell that comes from your humi will make you tingle a little everytime you open it! Earlier this wk I tried the Clinton dip and holly crap if that wasn't nice. word of advice make sure its a clean dip! :) Or else your cigar could taste like ***!
  • I've had a lot of luck using a small spray bottle on the finest mist setting. I use Jim Beam Devils Cut and saturate the exterior, place in a long plastic zip top cigar bag with small needle holes punched in it. I spray it every 2 days over a week. I.E spray Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, smoke Friday or Saturday.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Necro
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spilled some coffee in one of my humidifying devices.....thought about infusing cigars instantly. Haven't tried it yet.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    skuzzlebutt86:
    I have been going through the forum for a little wile now looking for anything on soaking your own cigars and have come up with nothing. Also as i look on the internet i have found no good articles on the matter. if any anyone has any advice on finding info on this topic or know how to do i would love to give it a try.
    when I was in the navy as a cook the Old man (CO) and the admiral had a smoke lounge on board along with a liquor Cabinet that he could open when Dv's were on board in addition they had a humidor too. after dinner was served they would have a after dinner drink and cigar if Dv's asked for it. it was our job to Laces them with liquor. example: the stick would be cut dipped in the booze of choice for not more than 5 sec laid next to the glass on a napkin ready to fire up. I wish I had a picture of how we did it, the point was not to wet it any longer than it would be if you had in your mouth to taste it before you light it.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    You cut, dipped and prepped your skippers cigars? What a pretentious d!ck, I would have nut sacked them. Must have been a naval academy douche bag
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    LOL yes I did. but it was only done for DV's on board Foreign dignitaries , Congressmen, Senators, even some movies stars . The CO only had his stick done like that when those were on board. You know, now that you mentioned it; He may have been a ring knocker :)
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    I actually just used a cigar gel jar, replaced gel with beads, and charged with whiskey instead of water. Sat for a year. Worked great, but tasted ok.
  • I personally do this, but I wouldn't define it as soaking. I literally dip the cut end into my whiskey for like less than a second. It doesn't soak up into the cigar at all really, it just gets on the outside. And I'll admit to being the type that chews the end lightly to get some of the tabocco juice in my mouth...I also used to dip in the Army so...maybe it's some of that.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a guy who likes to dip the head of his cigar in port wine. (He is not a regular cigar enthusiast. Not a big surprise, right?) I tried it. It did add a little of the flavor of the port to the cigar but I also made my cigar soggy. It didn't improve the cigar one bit. Maybe it adds something interesting to a crappy cigar but I don't think it's worth the effort. Decent cigars don't need any tinkering on my part.  
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do this with sweet brandy.  Like @Bob_Luken , I quit after a few times.  No like soggy cigar. :s
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain