Home Pipes

What do you use for a tamper?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
From fingers to the $55 TotemStar tamper - what do you all use?

I've been using the flat end of a chopstick lately, but I've been eyeing that aluminum/copper tamper from TotemStar, trying to justify the cost, but I just can't convince myself that it's worth the price.

Comments

• KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    a $1.99 tamper, poker and scraper combo tool from my local b&m.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Krieger:

+1. No need to buy that unless you just like the look and are willing to spend the coin.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Do a search for "pipe nail". They go for about a buck and that's what I primarily use. Has a tamper and scooper end. I'm not into high dollar accessories, I'd rather spend that money on good tobacco...and since I like SG so much, that tobacco doesn't come cheap.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Krieger:
    +1 works well. Rather spend the coin on some good tobacco.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I use my finger because I lose my tamper, then if I ever find it again, I lose it again
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the cheap $2 tamper/scrapper tool. My XIKAR lighter has a built in tamper as well.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    If I lose mine I find a AA battery does the job quite well.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    If I lose mine I find a AA battery does the job quite well.
    If smoking acid is your thing...
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumping this one up since we are having another influx of new pipers.

I use the cheapest pipe nail I can find. Single piece of aluminum. Tamper on one end. Spoon/scraper on the other. 
    75 cents and I think have about 12 on hand at any given time

I have used a piece of 223 rifle brass to pretty good effect before. Larger head stamps would probably work fine provided your bowl is large enough. Pistol cases didn't work for me. They were too short and didn't reach by the time I got to the bottom of the bowl.

When I spent a few days straight outdoors like on a weekend camp and fish trip, I'll make a point to search for an appropriate sized piece of good hardwood like hickory, walnut, maple, or oak, although cherry and Apple both work well too. Using my scavenged materials I will carve a fresh tamper/spoon. It's entertaining around the fire at night to make it more ornate than it was the day before
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Czech pipe tool
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bump, I like the wood tamper idea just for fun.  New pipers sometimes think the tamper is for packing.  NOT!  It is for while you're smoking, and it's importance is paramount.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some fancy tampers that I’ve never used. I like my pipe lighter tools. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Czech pipe tool

Not knowing anything about smoking a pipe, but interested, I had to google what this is.

Looking at the picture:  Tamper is for tamping tobacco after lit for a better draw?

Skinny pokey part for keeping your draw opening clear?

The part I don't get is the little shovel.  Back when I wore a certain uniform, I know the coke heads used one to get enough for a line out of their bottle or baggie.

Don't imagine you guys use the shovel part for that, but it sure isn't big enough to measure tobacco for a bowl.

Sorry if this seems really dumb, but I know nothing about pipes except that most smell good.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's used to scrape the burnt stuff out without damaging the cake.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    Czech pipe tool

: 1. Tamper is for tamping tobacco after lit for a better draw?

2.Skinny pokey part for keeping your draw opening clear?

3.The part I don't get is the little shovel. 

1.  Sort of.  Think about "smoke signals" in the old Westerns, the fire is burning, no smoke, apply the blanket then lift: voila!  Smoke.  You'll often see new pipers take a puff, look puzzled at the lack of smoke, then re-light.  Wrong!  Always take a puff with the tamper before relighting.  9 times out of 10, the tobacco was just burning too efficiently to produce smoke.

2.  Yes.  And stirring, then re-tamp before relighting.

3.  What @Wylaff said.  

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited November 2017
    1 makes sense. I've always capped it with my thumb.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

Thank You Gentlemen, that little shovel had me puzzled.

Guess if I decide that I like this pipe smoking thing, I will need something similar.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    A Sheetrock nail with a flattened tip will do it you don't scrape too hard.

Tonight for my first bowl supplied by @Captain_Call, it is a simple spike i got from the garage. I have a tool and a bit better pipe ordered, but amazon hasnt shipped it yet.
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry I didn't drop one in the box. I had a dozen laying around but I thought you already had all your kit
  • Chiefs50Chiefs50 Posts: 1
    I just use my finger most of the time.  Cover of a book of paper matches, sometimes.  Tamper or pipe nail, on occasion.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dis...
    And dis...

The Clipper costs about $1 and is refillable with my favorite butane and has a removable core/stem which also houses the flint which can also be replaced. The stem works great as a tamper if I lose sight of my Czech tool. Yes, it's a soft flame butane lighter. Multi-packs available online (like on Amazon) for about $1 each.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    finger or Czech tool.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all sorts of pipe tools from the basic aluminum pipe nail (always have one in my pocket and each pipe bag), all in one pipe gadgets, carved marble tampers, and some that I’ve made from 45/70 brass with an aluminum pick. But most often when I’m sitting on the balcony I use this tamper scrape combo that @timb sent me when I first started dabbling with a pipe

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool, it's adjustable! Fingers, golf tees, horseshoe nails, Czech tool, bullet casings....

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I've ever seen a Chicago screw used as a pipe tool before.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I don't think I've ever seen a Chicago screw used as a pipe tool before.

You know what? I bought some pipe cleaners and a cheapie Czech pipe tool last night at a B&M. I think I like the screw better 😆

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's some of mine, I don't use the Czech tool or the nail much.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )