Home Non Cigar Related

Moderation

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
so...
there are no mods here. I understand the concept ( i hope this is accurate) that its supposed to be a place for people to just hang out (as you would in your local shop) and learn about cigars but this is part of a business and that business's reputation/immage is reflected on who is seen with/around it.

not to sound dumb but, what if there is an innappropriate post? it happens from time to time on any forum. this one will be no different, its just a matter of time. Is there a mod or two that will catch it and delete it?

wouldnt it be in cigar.com's best intrests to have some in-house mods? you know, just someone to give this place a face and a personality and keep it with in the area that shines a good light on cigar.com

...maybe even pick a few forum members. It would also give the members a person to ask questions should a situation come up. The mods dont have to have any REAL power, but they would give it some organization and they would encourage people to keep on track and on on topic.

It also may be a good idea to lay down some rules and have them sticky.

Im not sure how this forum is set up (from a tech aspect) so i dont know if it can have mods it the "traditional" way a forum does, but it may be a good idea.

...iduno, just a thought.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Compared to some forums I've been on, this is a rather tame one. Having said that, I agree that there is a basic need for some level of moderation, that need being for peace and order, a sense of knowing these forums are a place where one can come to discuss cigars and the lifestyle that often comes with it without having to worry about a flame war erupting or various other unpleasantnesses that are somewhat unique to forum discussion. I suppose time will tell if a no-mod system can work here.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    I am not sure we need Mods....some of them become high handed. I have some faith in the cigar.com staff monitoring this site. I have made dozens of trades, PIF, and fun and game transactions and the only time I have been burned was by a very popular moderator, he had a million excuses but the bottom line was I never got any cigars from him and I know of one other person that had the same thing happen from the same moderator. I have seen what happens to someone who tries to take on a popular moderator, they lose everytime so we kept quiet Yes we are going to get the odd lady looking for a 50yr old smoking friend....I find it funny and would never send that person cigars. What can happen if a guy wants to get some free cigars on a PIF? It will only happen once. Maybe I will change my mind at a later date! (IMHO)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with a mod on another forum

if the cigar.com staff is monitoring the forum i would be ok with that.

Im not looking to stir the pot or to take controll or become a mod or create a lot of rules. I was just thinking that cigar.com may get a bad rap if this forum goes south. I would hate to see that happen.

I too like the idea that this forum is a place for "the guys" (or "the people" ) to hang out as if it were like a little club.

Almost everyone i have ever met in a cigar related forum has been a stand up person. I also feel that in a way we can "moderate " ourselves. If people that hate us pop in here we can handle them like adults and get them out.

i guess i was just thinking cigar.com may want to let us in on how they are running this thing, i mean it IS there forum.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    Matt maybe I came off a little too high handed. I appreciate the leadership role that you and Dave have taken in regards to this forum and I agree I do not want it to go “South.”
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    me? a leader?

I got you fooled... Im just a guy that loves to talk about cigars.

but seriously, i think you made a good point. to some people the status of Moderator could go to the head. I dont want that to happen. I think thats why i like the idea that cigar.com would moderate this site themself. they are the forum. they created it. they have more face than anyone else here to save.

• phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    If you really think about it; the only thing that might need moderation is the PIF games; and so far things have been going fairly smoothly. I like to think that we are all adults and can play fair. Plus a loser only gets one chnce to show he is a loser and not someone to trade with. I don't see the flame wars that are present on more popular topic forums. Cigars are for adults and we should act like adults.
    -Dave
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54
    phisherman:
    Cigars are for adults and we should act like adults.
    Amen!!-Matt