Home General Discussion

Breaking Cigar News

So I realized after looking at a lot of top 10 lists that there was a bunch of cigars I had not heard of much less tried. Worse was hearing "Wow this cigar was awesome but they are gone now" kind of thing. Or a cigar was awesome but was released in April....read not available anymore. Made me think I was not really all that tuned in to the cigar world I love. How can I find out about these blends coming out? Any good sites out there releasing information on all the new releases from different cigar makers and blenders and just news in general? Halfwheel.com had some good stuff but I would love to see where you guys go for news.

Comments

• AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    seems like Twitter and Facebook are where info hits first....just my .02
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    AJGARLETT:
    seems like Twitter and Facebook are where info hits first....just my .02
    +1
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Who are you friending or following on those sites?
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    All the manufacturers I like and a bunch of review sites too. On my phone so I won't type out the specific sites but almost all the top company's have twitter and FB and are extremely active
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dowjr1:
    Who are you friending or following on those sites?
    LFD, avo, davidoff DE, Camacho
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    might wanna try podcasts too.

"Long ashes my friends."

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    Came to post. Between Brooks and Charlie, it's hard to miss anything. Charlie's weekly news updates, and a few of the larger forums are my jumping off points for news.
  • dowjr1:
    So I realized after looking at a lot of top 10 lists that there was a bunch of cigars I had not heard of much less tried. Worse was hearing "Wow this cigar was awesome but they are gone now" kind of thing. Or a cigar was awesome but was released in April....read not available anymore. Made me think I was not really all that tuned in to the cigar world I love. How can I find out about these blends coming out? Any good sites out there releasing information on all the new releases from different cigar makers and blenders and just news in general? Halfwheel.com had some good stuff but I would love to see where you guys go for news.
    My stance is that if a cigar is truly great then it will stick around. That is why I tend to keep buying the old traditional stand by's like Monte Cristos and Bolivars.

Don't get me wrong. I do try new things and one offs and enjoy them. But I won't spend a lot of time keeping up with what is the newest thing. If I buy a one off or a sampler pack I mostly enjoy it but most of my recurring purchases and box orders tend to be from the same half dozen makers.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    Came to post. Between Brooks and Charlie, it's hard to miss anything. Charlie's weekly news updates, and a few of the larger forums are my jumping off points for news.
    i have recently started to notice that i care less and less about "news" (even in the real world) and more about theory, design, concept and process. new releases only seem to catch my eye if there is some interesting thing going on with it and not just some blend of "normal" leaves.

this is one of the reasons why i feel "behind" on news in the cigar world. ill read things like Halfwheel now and then but most of the time i am looking up things like how specific people go about blending, or how different types of minerals will change the ash, flavor, or burn.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Patrickbrick, knowing I'm an Espinosa Wh0re, let me know that AJ will reblend the Murcielago with aged tobacco, nice since it's one of my favorites. 

http://halfwheel.com/espinosas-murcielago-gets-j-fernandez-rework/163032
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame he didn't get to the 60% tax in time...

Still good news though!
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    edited December 2017

Gilberto Oliva Sr., the founder of the Oliva Cigar Co., has passed away at 86. [Dec 16th]

Like many, Oliva Sr. and his family’s roots in tobacco started in Cuba, in 1886. He fled the country during the Cuban revolution in the mid-20th century and began working as a tobacco broker in Nicaragua, a country he fled in the late 1970s because of its own revolution. ~~ Halfwheel

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year it was Don Carlos, now Padron and Oliva.  A generation passing.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16 said:
    Sad few weeks for the cigar world. 
    Hey @kuzi16 it’s nice seeing you around! If you’d send me your addy I’ve stumbled upon something you might like
    I almost forgot Avo Uvezian.  Didn't he pass in the last year, too?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I almost forgot Avo Uvezian.  Didn't he pass in the last year, too?
    Yeah, over the summer I believe

• KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I sure enjoyed the rebanded Murcielago. I bet the lance to will be great.  
    Another new Espinosa release announced on Halfwheel

• KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yakster Sounds like a good one!
    Are The Florescent Leech and Eddie still around?  

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Halfwheel:  

CALIFORNIA’S GOVERNOR VETOES PARKS AND BEACHES SMOKING BAN

Amazing that Brown found a ban he didn't like.  

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally! The wait is over! They've solved all of their quality control issues:

"Gurkha cigars are the epitome of something. You can always expect some kind of construction and consistency with Gurkha and unique flavors."
    FIFY
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.