Home General Discussion

Cigars came in boxes of 25!

jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
Way back when,I always saw cigars sold in boxes of 25,a pak of 5, or singles. I know the answer to this question,but it just hurts me in my gizzard. Why do they have to mess with the counts all the time? Now you see box of 18. Pak of 15. Box of 21! Do they really think we don't get the fact they are hiding the price. Making it hard to compare prices. Just selling less for more! Yes ,this might be a dumb thread but it pisses me off a little. I'll buy 25!  Signed: Grumpy Old Man

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to post in dumb threads.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I refuse to post in dumb threads.
    Therefore...

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Come on,come on! You know you want to! Ahhhhhh HaHaHaHa!
    edited January 2018
    I'm going to go get a 9 pak of beer now. And a pak of 17 cigarettes for my brother!

ok,fine! I'll just sit here all alone thinking back to when my 6th grade teacher told me there are no dumb questions. Tear,tear.
     ;) 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should really be redirected to the "things I hate" discussion. Remember the good old days when there was just one discussion per topic  :p
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Oh man,I forgot about the dog/bun thing. "Dirty pups"!
    edited January 2018
    Markwell said:
    This should really be redirected to the "things I hate" discussion. Remember the good old days when there was just one discussion per topic  :p
    Your right,but it started as just a small cigar conjecture.:) I'm like mule,I need blinders.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh look!  Something shiny!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    That's what I was crying about! I see a good deal and then see its 15 cigars or 18 or 10. The only 50 boxes I've seen are the machine made or the cazadores. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illusione Rothschilds come in a box of 50
    I think Davis is on the right track with his idea of boxes coming to the factory in a size that won't accommodate all vitolas.  It never dawned on me that those occasional blocks of cedar we find in some boxes might be a result of that.
    peter4jc said:
    I think Davis is on the right track with his idea of boxes coming to the factory in a size that won't accommodate all vitolas.  It never dawned on me that those occasional blocks of cedar we find in some boxes might be a result of that.
    You kidding right? They come printed ya know.
    Not to change the subject but,anyone who can guess the exact number of tobacco seeds in this pint jar will win a half teaspoon of seed! I don't know how many so I'll have to count them.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4,512,362 and a speck of beetle poop.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    You almost won,but it was aphid poop. :(
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I didn't know tobacco seeds were so small. Hows the germination on them and where did you buy them? Been thinking about growing some

My guess is 3,987,258
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

WaterNerd said:
    Wow I didn't know tobacco seeds were so small. Hows the germination on them and where did you buy them? Been thinking about growing some

My guess is 3,987,258
    I took them from the plants I grew. Germination was 95 percent . I'm testing them again as we speak. They came from these.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got to be enough to plant 2 square miles I'd guess.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterNerd said:

My guess is 3,987,258
    @WaterNerd ; I grew some CT shade leaves last season. 
    Germination was fairly decent but they are finicky little seedlings. 

Overall the plants did pretty well and topped out around 6 feet tall.

Unfortunately I didn't end up keeping any leaves because something (looked like aphids) just devoured the leaves when we were away on vacation. 

I ordered mine here --- http://www.victoryseeds.com/tobacco.html.  
    Pretty sure I have some left.  Let me know if you're interested, I'll check next week and if so, I can certainly send you some. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Aphids are a big problem! I took the garden hose and sprayed them off the underside of every leaf. It was hell! I then used a safe pesticide. This was long before harvest! It's amazing a insect could survive eating nicotine like that.
    got to be enough to plant 2 square miles I'd guess.
    Maybe the whole state!

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys! Plants look great. Never seen them flower before. Very cool.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

They are pretty flowers!
    jw517 said:
    webmost said:
    You almost won,but it was aphid poop. :(
    Well poop.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Illusione Rothschilds come in a box of 50
    I bought two boxes of Big Paybacks on different occasions --- fifty apiece.

Love those boxes. Absolutely the best cedar flanges I've seen. Inch and a quarter high.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The La Zona Habano comes in a box of 80.  If only I had a walk-in humidor, and money to burn.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )