Home Cigar 101

Humi-Care jar

Just curious what everyones take was on the Humi-Care Jar. I have researched it a little on the net and have found VERY mixed reactions. My beads were fine during the summer but once the heat come on this winter they just arent keeping my humidity up. Was thinking about getting the Humi-Care jar and just wanted everyones opinion. Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to beads from the Humi-Care jar. If you don't like the way your beads are performing now the Humi-Care will piss you off. I have mine full and it does not hold the humidity. The beads I have to charge at least once a week and it is no big deal. I would stick with beads unless you have extra money to throw away.
  • Alright thanks that is what I was affraid of..... How long do the beads usually last before they need to be replaced????
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I have beads and a jar one in each humi, and my beads need recharging about once every three days lately to hold anywhere near 65%, but the jar (xikar btw, not humicare) can't get it past 60% no matter how full it is. I have several humicare packs in there to help it out, but it's still not that great...
  • Yeah this time of year all I am interested in is keeping it above 60%, I went ahead and ordered 2 jars and so far so good I havnt had to refill them yet though....
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I like the jars, and people I know have good luck with them....but I'll stick with the beads.

That being said, I have had a hard time this winter keeping my humidity above 60 even with a half pound of beads in a 75 humidor. Even with frequent "recharging" it wouldn't stay up for long. What I am doing right now, is I have a kitchen measuring cup half filled with DI water sitting on the top shelf of my humi. This strait water paired with my 65% beads is keeping my humidor at a fairly consistent 66% humidity.

The dry air is killer so I try to open my humi as little as possible.....so I suggest you do the same. It's damn hard to resist, but it really helps keep that humid air in there.
  • Thanks Moose I may have to try that measuring cup idea. This has been the driest winter since I have had my humi set up by far Ive never had this much trouble keeping it above 60% but good news guys only 53 days till spring and then we can set outside and enjoy those great sticks again without freezing...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The best way to maintain humidity in my experiences with tupperdors, coolerdors, wine fridges, humidors and so on has been a combination of a Cigar Oasis and beads. If you can't financially justify a cigar oasis the next best thing is to up the amount the amount of beads you have. If 4 ounces isn't keeping up go to 8. Try charging close to 80% of your beads in the dry winter months and next to none in the humid summer months.

Jars, tubes, crystals, pillows, even the old surgical sponge will all work its just a matter of maintenance. Beads in my experience do the best job of leveling out humidity of any product on the market. However just like any other product out their that is passive when it gets really dry in the winter they have a hard time keeping up. This is where the cigar oasis comes into play. The Oasis is an active humidification device and is the ONLY thing that actively pushes moisture into the air.
  • Thanks Maduro I have looked into an oasis still having trouble convincing the wife I really to spend this to keep my humidor at the right humidity, she's just not buying it, WOMEN....LOL
    Keep watching ebay you can usually find a good deal on them.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    I have 2 humi-Care jars, and for my situation, I find them less than useless. I find I am better off since I emptied the jell out of the jars and filled the jars with Distilled water only. The gel had expanded beyond the size of the jars, swelled beyond belief, but would not release the moisture into the air... whatsup with that.

I will be ordering some 70% beads this week as well as buying a heated mist room humidifyer.

• nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    It's not only that I don't wanna bust out the money for one...I really just don't wanna give up the room in my humi...It's packed full as it is...I'd have to move some drawers into bags.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    well i have the xikar crystals and have had nothing but great luck with them so far - my humi is only a 50 count and i have it stacked with about 46 cigars right now -- i consistently read 70-71 deg and 70-71% rh -- i trust that it is to the smaller size of the humi and where i live but i figure if you try a jar per 45-50 cigars you might be able to regulate the humidity - at that rate however you might as well buy a cigar oasis because it is going to take up some room - i am looking to step up to a 300 count humi this summer when i start smoking more and i'll probably buy an oasis xl
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    shamrocked:
    well i have the xikar crystals and have had nothing but great luck with them so far - my humi is only a 50 count and i have it stacked with about 46 cigars right now -- i consistently read 70-71 deg and 70-71% rh -- i trust that it is to the smaller size of the humi and where i live but i figure if you try a jar per 45-50 cigars you might be able to regulate the humidity - at that rate however you might as well buy a cigar oasis because it is going to take up some room - i am looking to step up to a 300 count humi this summer when i start smoking more and i'll probably buy an oasis xl
    In my 50 count, I use a xicar jar as well. But in my 100-150 count and my coolidor, it would just not be enough. Beads are great, just gotta keep them charged during the winter more often. Dryer than bone here in Michigan until March or April.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    shamrocked:
    In my 50 count, I use a xicar jar as well. But in my 100-150 count and my coolidor, it would just not be enough. Beads are great, just gotta keep them charged during the winter more often. Dryer than bone here in Michigan until March or April.
    I use 3 Zikar jars in my 200 count humi and its holding at 70 and 70. Its the way to go IMO.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I used the jar for a while with mixed results. I've been using a Cigar Oasis for about 2 years and it is great. No need to constantly monitor it and very low maintenance.
    nsezell:
    It's not only that I don't wanna bust out the money for one...I really just don't wanna give up the room in my humi...It's packed full as it is...I'd have to move some drawers into bags.
    I find that the oasis takes up less space than the extra beads I would need to compensate for not having the oasis. I do understand however that the beads are easier to spread around and aren't a fixed shape. So I see your point but I think if you get creative you may find that you actually have more room.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm trying the jar in my aging humidor and so far it's doing pretty well. The RH stays between 63 and 67 with no maintenence at all, but I do have a few humi pillows in there as well because the RH was a little low at the very beginning. I think that was because my humidor needed a little more seasoning. Lately its been right in the range while my other humi with beads needs much more attention. Of course, I open that humi a lot more.
  • madurofan:
    Which one would you recommend for a 100-150 ct. humi.
  • Guys thanks for all the responses and help that is what I love about this website....
    I have a 200 ct humi but usually keep only about 100. I have the Oasis XL and it works great. Keeping about 100 allows me plenty of room to sort them and I don't have to move them around as much. This lessens the chance of damaging my precious stash.
  • Just to update everyone hopefully my humidity troubles will be over soon, I just ordered the Cigar Oasis XL today. Hopefully this will take care of my problems...
    Congratulations, hope you have good results. Let me know after you get set up.
  • One more question, DO you recommend setting the oasis on the top shelf or in the bottom of a humidor??????
    d_nowell:
    madurofan:
    Which one would you recommend for a 100-150 ct. humi.
    With the price difference as small as it is just go ahead and get the XL Plus. The Ultra would save you room but its also going to require being filled way more often.
    d_nowell:
    One more question, DO you recommend setting the oasis on the top shelf or in the bottom of a humidor??????
    Well I saw you ordered the XL ... good call.

Ummm mine has always been in the bottom of my humis but I don't think it really matters. Kuzi could probably answer this better his research is always flawless. It way be that more humid air falls so it would be best to have it higher. I've never put that much thought into it.
  • Alright thanks Maduro I always respect and take everything you say in. Thanks for approving my decision I had to do something I was struggling to keep it at 60%. Hope this is the end to all my humidity troubles.....
    It should definetly help nowell. As it is bringing the humidity up though you made need keep an eye on it, as its going to pump out some water and may need to be filled more frequently than normal.
  • I gotcha thanks man for all your help....
    Sure thing man ... welcome to the club.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Did I just read someone bought the Oasis XL for a 100 ct humi? Would love to hear the results of this combination...